Thread: Quotes: James Harrison vs. Greg Lloyd

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Quotes: James Harrison vs. Greg Lloyd

Just a article I saw and wanted to share,doesn't really prove anything other then The STEELERS are not completely innocent when it comes to talking before thinking...

Neumann By Thomas Neumann
    Page 2
    Archive | Contact

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison caused a stir this week when an article in Men's Journal magazine revealed several controversial quotes by the four-time Pro Bowl selection.

We at Page 2 couldn't help but hearken back to the 1990s, when the words of another Steelers linebacker, Greg Lloyd, were ruffling feathers around the NFL.

The similarities between Harrison and Lloyd are uncanny. Both were targeted for fines by the commissioner's office. Both were arguably the most feared player in the league in their prime. Both were extremely intense and unafraid to call out their teammates. Both were incredibly quotable.

With that in mind, we present a quiz. See if you can distinguish which of the following quotes are from Harrison and which are from Lloyd. Good luck!

1. "When you hit a dude hard, you feel it, too, and the Steelers go at play-to-die speeds. But if, God forbid, I wind up having brain damage, so be it. That's something I'll have to deal with down the road."

a) James Harrison
    b) Greg Lloyd

2. "We're no more than cattle. When you come into this business, you have to realize, 'I'm just a piece of meat. As long as I get the job done, I'm here. But when I can't get it done anymore, it's like -- next guy.'"

a) James Harrison
    b) Greg Lloyd

3. "If I wanted to hurt a quarterback and knock him out of the game, I'd go for his knees. When you hit him high, that's just football."

a) James Harrison
    b) Greg Lloyd

4. "If a guy has a choice of hitting me high or low, hit me in the head and I'll pay your fine. Just don't hit me in the knee, 'cause that's life-threatening. How'm I going to feed my family if I can't run?"

a) James Harrison
    b) Greg Lloyd

5. "You can't be a nice guy on the field. You have to play like you're chasing somebody who robbed your house and is running down the street with your television set."

a) James Harrison
    b) Greg Lloyd

6. "This isn't one of those games -- unlike the commissioner and all those SOBs want it to be -- to put on PBS so all the little kids can watch it, and they can show it in the classroom. It's not a game like that. It's a violent damn game. It's a game that players play with anger, frustration and emotion. And's that how I play the game. If people don't like it, so be it."

a) James Harrison
    b) Greg Lloyd

7. "If you want to be the best, don't let there be any discrepancy about being the best. If we have to bite, we'll bite. If we have to spit, we'll spit. If we have to scratch, we'll do that."

a) James Harrison
    b) Greg Lloyd

8. "Superman ain't got nothing on me. Kryptonite? C'mon now. You're never going to hear me say that somebody is tougher than me. Because I don't believe somebody else could be tougher than me."

a) James Harrison
    b) Greg Lloyd

9. "Who is Joe Namath? This is a guy who, if he played in the league today, I'd probably just go hit him late and see what he did, just for the hell of it. Joe Namath can go to hell."

a) James Harrison
    b) Greg Lloyd

10. "I can do 100 things right, but when I do one thing wrong, everybody jumps on me. It's like I've got '666' etched in my scalp."

a) James Harrison
    b) Greg Lloyd

Bonus: "I didn't mean to offend anybody but Kellen Winslow. I would just like to say it was a poor choice of words in the comment I made toward Winslow. If I offended anybody, I apologize for that."

a) James Harrison
    b) Greg Lloyd

Answer key: 1, a; 2, b; 3, b; 4, a; 5, b; 6, b; 7, b; 8, a; 9, b; 10, b; Bonus, Trick question -- Former Steelers linebacker Joey Porter offered that quote in 2006, and we couldn't resist revisiting it

Rating guide:
    0-2 correct answers: Come on, hoss. Pick up the intensity!
    3-4 correct answers: Now that's how football should be played.
    5-6 correct answers: Personal foul: 15-yard penalty and automatic first down.
    7-8 correct answers: Stern written warning from commissioner's office.
    9-11 correct answers: $75,000 fine for helmet-to-helmet hit.

Thomas Neumann is an editor for Page 2.

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Personally I love these quotes, this is what being a player in the NFL is all about. Specifically on defense, you are a hired gun, you are a piece of meat, a contract hunter, call it what you want. You're job is create turnovers, get sacks, force punts, by just about any means necessary.

The problem is that way too many players in the NFL are politically correct or just afraid to say the things like Lloyd, Harrison, as well as Porter and Lambert, too.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Personally I love these quotes, this is what being a player in the NFL is all about. Specifically on defense, you are a hired gun, you are a piece of meat, a contract hunter, call it what you want. You're job is create turnovers, get sacks, force punts, by just about any means necessary.

The problem is that way too many players in the NFL are politically correct or just afraid to say the things like Lloyd, Harrison, as well as Porter and Lambert, too.
    I agree 100%. James is a FOOTBALL PLAYER and more specifically a LINEBACKER. So why are so many people shocked that he isn't acting like a female synchronized swimmer? The sport is a mean, violent sport that requires men who are mean, nasty and have no problem hitting someone as hard as they can, especially the linebacker position. People have short memories and have gotten soft over the years. Lambert has called out teammates, Lloyd has, etc. Good teams like our steelers don't let things like that tear the team apart. This whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. We aren't falling apart. Besides last year's offseason was so much worse

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Both were very angry goons. I was at the Steelers Jets game in the early 90's when Lloyd knocked out Al Toon with a viscious hit, then counted him out like a boxing ref by smacking the turf. Today he would of been fined a godzillion bucks for the act.

Thread Information