Thread: Harrison Right... In the Wrong Way.

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter

Harrison Right... In the Wrong Way.

Yup. Another James Harrison article. Why? In the words of 'Animal House' Delta Frat brother Bluto, "WHY NOT? (burp)"

There's a lot to digest in the recent Men's Journal article about Steelers' Linebacker James Harrison and some of it requires a serious dose of Pepto Bismol but I want to look at this from the angle of what Harrison may have right and what he may have wrong. First of all, many, especially in the Steeler Nation agree with some of his assessments and while I firmly believe in the right of free speech, I also believe there are consequences when you choose to exercise that right. A sad, but frank reality of America in the 21st century. Harrison did not goof so much in his intent as much as he did in the phrasing and choices of words so let's look at it at greater depth.

RIGHT

Harrison's dislike of NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is not without merit nor is it without company. Numerous reports by leading NFL talking heads have mentioned that 'several' NFL players contacted Harrison over the last 36 hours to thank him and congratulate him on calling out a man who is not well-liked in the NFL Players' community. Anyone recall those little meetings Goodell hosted during training camps last year? I can't remember one positive comment from a player following the meetings. These players share Harrison's concern that Goodell is changing the rules in the name of safety all the while doing it for the almighty dollar by attempting to add more games. Changing rules in mid-season was not appreciated either. This was a clear over-reaction by an 'in-over-his head' commissioner.

WRONG

Under no circumstances can you go to the schoolyard mentality of name-calling the way Harrison did. If James wants to be taken seriously then this was not the way to go about it. Calling him a 'crook' and the 'devil' only makes Harrison look more foolish. Lots of us don't like him either James and we can say as much over a beer, you can't, you just can't go there.

RIGHT

I honestly have no problem with Harrison's comments about Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger or Running Back Rashard Mendenhall as they pertain to the Super Bowl. Both players were subpar and made crucial mistakes that led to the team's loss.

WRONG

Many of the people reading this probably were fortunate enough to have a decent enough coach who taught you that if you have issues with other players, then you discuss those IN THE LOCKER ROOM!! Absolutely no need for Harrison to attack Ben and then make the comparison to Peyton Manning. First of all, if you're going to do that, have facts to substantiate it. As was pointed out by ESPN's Adam Schefter, Manning threw 12 INT's in his territory last year. Ben threw 3. Oh and James, you had 1 tackle in Super Bowl XLV.

RIGHT

Nothing Harrison rants about concerning the New England Patriots would be disagreed with by a large number of fans, especially those in the Steeler Nation. The Pats have had our number in the Tom Brady era and Harrison was further incensed by 'SpyGate' and the little or no action aimed at it by Goodell as a repercussion. He feels the Patriots received little to no punishment simply because Goodell wanted to spare the League further embarrassment which certainly would have come had he investigated more.

WRONG

As if the Pats had any doubts, those are now confirmed that they are in the heads of the Steelers and specifically Harrison. By mentioning the Patriots in the tone he did, Harrison gave more ammunition to an already advantaged New England squad. Don't think for a second that Brady won't get in Harrison's ear when the teams play this season. Steeler fans remember Anthony Smith getting torched all too well by Brady and than hearing about it from the man himself.

In the end, Harrison will more than likely face a one-game suspension or a fine from his own ball club. I don't see Goodell touching this and because of his 'strong' relationship with the Rooney’s, I'm guessing he'll look to them for anything Harrison has coming. And I hate to tell you my fellow Steelers' fans, but the Rooney’s are basically Roger Goodell's minions. It was Dan that pushed for Goodell to get the job and what team did Goodell then have a strong enough relationship with to use as the poster children for illegal hits and 'player safety?' That's right, us. I will continue to cheer for James Harrison as a person and a football player and I completely get where he was coming from in this article. Problem wasn't the message; it's how the message was delivered.

Marc 'SteelDad' Uhlmann

www.steeleraddicts.com

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Great write up but brady is too much of a bitch to ever get in deebo's ear. I seem to recall when he was in anthony smith's ear back in 07, silverback bumped brady from behind, got in his face and the prettyboy backing off like a frightened poodle. I also recall him saying he'd be very happy if harrison retired last year. I just hope next time we play them harrison is 100% with no back issues and he lays the hit of all hits on that douche. He's had it coming to him for a long time....

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Sorry I don't think there is any right in Harrison's comments......If he had a stand out Super Bowl himself then I would have no problem with him bashing his teammates....He seems to forget Ben bailed out the D against the Cards in Super Bowl XLIII after THE D blew a double digit lead.........Football is the ultimate team sport and James Harrison seemed to forget that.....The D has bailed out the offense but there is times when the D has let down the offense....How about the entire 2009 season?.....lol

Harrison using the word f%ggot is wrong and really these African-American athletes have to stop using that word so much....They would hate if people threw around the N-word.....

I don't blame him for hating Goodell but he did himself no favors once again in the eyes of the commish once again with his comments....I expect the fines to be at record level once again and I'm sure Harrison will even be suspended this year for his hits......

I also have major issue with James Harrison posing for pic with his guns.....With all the gun violence that goes in this country he needs to be smarter then that......

I'm really disappointed in James Harrison....I knew he wasn't the brightest bulb out there but his words/actions make him look like an ignorant jock........

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I also have major issue with James Harrison posing for pic with his guns.....With all the gun violence that goes in this country he needs to be smarter then that......
    From my point of view they did that bc its the same cover as the videogame "hitman" which they were comparing him to as the NFLs "hitman" those who have never played the game, wouldnt know about it. a smart choice? prolly not. but i dont think of it as big of a deal about the picture as the rest...

- Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    From my point of view they did that bc its the same cover as the videogame "hitman" which they were comparing him to as the NFLs "hitman" those who have never played the game, wouldnt know about it. a smart choice? prolly not. but i dont think of it as big of a deal about the picture as the rest...

Yea I never played the game.....Ok I see now.....I'm just sensitive with gun violence right now......Was thinking about going to the Pirates/Cubs game in the near future but with all the shooting and muggings going around Wrigley these days I'm staying away........

Nice article and I agree with you except I think your one point is backwards.
    the Rooney’s are basically Roger Goodell's minions
    I believe that Goodell is the minion of not only the Rooney's but all the other owners. The owners sit back and pull his strings while every fan and many players slam him.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    Nice article and I agree with you except I think your one point is backwards.

I believe that Goodell is the minion of not only the Rooney's but all the other owners. The owners sit back and pull his strings while every fan and many players slam him.
    Lets just say that regardless of who control eachother, the NFL franchise have too much power compared to the players association atm.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Thread Information