Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low cap number rumored

Bookmark and Share

Low cap number rumored

Apparently there rumors circulating that the cap number after the new CBA is agreed to will be *only* $120 million. If that is true, we will be a whopping $10 million OVER the cap. Teams such as New England and Indy will be barely over, if at all. That being said, who needs to go to get under the cap. Unfortunately, we are going to have to make some tough decisions. Here are some of the guys on the short list, with my opinion.

Aaron Smith ($4.5 mill)......hate to say it, but with injury problems and age, gone
    Kemo and Starts ($11 mill combined)....I would try and keep Starts, let Kemo go.
    ARE.....GONE
    Battle ($1.5 mill)....GONE
    Will Allen ($1.5 mill)....GONE
    Flozell ($5 mill)....GONE (if he doesn't redo his deal)
    Foote ($4 mill)....GONE
    Hampton ($7 mill)....I'd actually keep him for another year or two

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by uclkyle View Post
    Apparently there rumors circulating that the cap number after the new CBA is agreed to will be *only* $120 million. If that is true, we will be a whopping $10 million OVER the cap. Teams such as New England and Indy will be barely over, if at all. That being said, who needs to go to get under the cap. Unfortunately, we are going to have to make some tough decisions. Here are some of the guys on the short list, with my opinion.

Aaron Smith ($4.5 mill)......hate to say it, but with injury problems and age, gone
    Kemo and Starts ($11 mill combined)....I would try and keep Starts, let Kemo go.
    ARE.....GONE
    Battle ($1.5 mill)....GONE
    Will Allen ($1.5 mill)....GONE
    Flozell ($5 mill)....GONE (if he doesn't redo his deal)
    Foote ($4 mill)....GONE
    Hampton ($7 mill)....I'd actually keep him for another year or two

Any thoughts?
    where'd you get those salary numbers? I read Battle makes 750K and foote makes 1.5 mil not 4 million. Also keep in mind Woodley having the franchise tag is making his contract way higher. If we sign him long term his annual value won't be as high as the franchise tag.

Quote Originally Posted by mwittman5 View Post
    where'd you get those salary numbers? I read Battle makes 750K and foote makes 1.5 mil not 4 million. Also keep in mind Woodley having the franchise tag is making his contract way higher. If we sign him long term his annual value won't be as high as the franchise tag.
    You are NOT EVEN close there bud......I wasn't pulling numbers out of my ***. Arnaz Battle will count about $1.4 million towards the 2011 salary cap. I was a bit hight on Foote....he's actually $3 million towards the cap. However, I was low on Will Allen, he's over $1.5 million.

Quote Originally Posted by uclkyle View Post
    You are NOT EVEN close there bud......I wasn't pulling numbers out of my ***. Arnaz Battle will count about $1.4 million towards the 2011 salary cap. I was a bit hight on Foote....he's actually $3 million towards the cap. However, I was low on Will Allen, he's over $1.5 million.
    your right here's the official numbers.
    Will Allen 1.5 Mil Cap charge
    Battle 1.3 Mil Cap charge
    Foote 3 mil cap charge

My guess is Smith restructures his contract and battle or randle el get cut. Randle El counts 2 million towards the cap. Maybe both get cut because we already have ward, wallace, sanders, and brown. Woodley will probably get 8 mil a season at the most so once he signs an extension that saves 2 mil from the franchise tag. I still think Ike leaves
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 07-18-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Battle is gone. And he was gone before we saw his cap number. hahahaha. And ARE is gone too. Smith knows he has to renegotiate his contract if he wants to be around. We will be fine. There are ways to get under the cap.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Impatient
    You have to remember though that ARE, Battle Foote, those guys get cut, the Signing bonus is accelerated and the remaining bonuses that would have been spread over the contract all count against the cap this year. Cutting these guys wont save as much as you think. I think they are still gone, but it wont save as much as you think. ARE may stay if Sweed gets cut.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Last rumor I heard was around 123 million. If that is the case then yes some players will need to be cut but more importantly I look for other players to restructure deals. Anytime you can restructure and existing big contract you can immediately get cap relief. The big problem is Lamarr Woodley's huge 10 million cap hit because of that franchise tag deal he signed. If they could restructure that it could give them significant relief right away. the problem is, is there time to do so this year?

Front office has to be smart with their money. After this season Polamalu, wallace, and I think timmons are free agents. Maybe we could ask Ben to restructure his contract and take a couple mil less a year.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I would fully expect Ben's contract to be restructured many times in the coming years. I can remember Alan Faneca getting his restructured almost every year. Players don't usually mind doing it; they just end up getting more of their money in a big check at one time and less in their actual "game checks" during the season.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Flozell is scheduled to make 5 million on the 2nd year of his 10 million dollar deal. He won't take less money to come back and restructuring will be tricky with him being in the final year of his deal. The Steelers could have a tough time figuring this one out, but so will many other teams. There are other places to take money from that they can free cap money up. I expect Flozell to be here, no question.

Thread Information