Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: James Harrison calls Goodell a "Crook, and the Devil" in magazine article

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

James Harrison calls Goodell a "Crook, and the Devil" in magazine article

NEW YORK — Heavily fined Steelers linebacker James Harrison calls NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell a "crook" and a "devil," among other insults, in a magazine article.

The 2008 AP Defensive Player of the Year hasn't been shy about ripping the league after he was docked $100,000 for illegal hits last season. In the August issue of Men's Journal, his rants against Goodell reach another level of wrath.

"If that man was on fire and I had to **** to put him out, I wouldn't do it," Harrison told the magazine. "I hate him and will never respect him."

His other descriptions of the commissioner include an anti-gay slur, "stupid," "puppet" and "dictator."

If the Steelers had defeated the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl, Harrison said, he would have whispered in Goodell's ear during the trophy ceremony: "Why don't you quit and do something else, like start your own league in flag football?"

Harrison also criticizes other NFL execs, Patriots-turned-commentators Rodney Harrison and Tedy Bruschi ("clowns"), Houston's Brian Cushing ("juiced out of his mind") — and even teammates Rashard Mendenhall and Ben Roethlisberger for their performances in the Super Bowl loss. Harrison questions whether a black player is punished more for a hard hit on a white player than the opposite.

Beyond the insults, Harrison makes some serious points about what he believes are the league's misguided attempts to increase safety. He explains how non-guaranteed contracts make players more likely to hit high, because in the short term, a torn knee ligament is more costly than a concussion.

And Harrison suggests the real way to prevent head injuries is to shorten the season to 14 games, start offseason workouts later and trim the length of training camp so "we're not bangin' heads so much in August; that's where the brain trauma comes from."

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I know Harrison pretty much hates Goodell as it is but would he really say that stuff to a national magazine knowing full well it would get out to the public in a heartbeat? Was it paraphrased? Did the writer put that stuff in when it was supposed to be off the record? I haven't heard anything from Harrison yet on this but this deserves more attention before start crucifying him for shooting his mouth off.

I've been doing some digging on the Men's Journal website, I'll post up what I find out.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 07-13-2011 at 12:57 PM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

I really hope James is smarter than this. Could be some locker room issues and some league issues to deal with if he really said these things. I don't like Goodell myself and have expressed my opinion of him openly but I don't have to play in the league under his watch either. The lockout needs to end and we need to return to the business of football and stop the mouth running.
    Mr. Comissioner, feel free to resoak those kerosene rags around your ankles for the 2011-2012 season. After the lockout the ants are angry as hell and more inclined to eat your candy ***! Thanks! --75Steeler

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I'm reading the article now, I found a PDF of it which is referenced in the 3rd post. This interview was done in May. It's a very interesting article with some seriously bad *** pics of Harrison. I haven't finished it completely yet, however unless it was taken out of context in some way, it appears he did indeed make those comments.

The article mentions how he calls Rashard Mendenhall a "fumble machine" and how he nearly punched out Bruce Arians during a practice altercation. It also talks about his childhood, his problems getting into college, and his trials before becoming a super star in the NFL. He also talks about Ben's mistakes in the super bowl. You really owe it yourself to get this article and read it for yourself.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 07-13-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Dear James Harrison, this is why you get fined so much.

Sincerely,
    Common Sense

Seriously, this guy wonders he gets fined more? He's a very good playe and I like his on the field artitude, however his mouth is a problem for the Steeler organization. I said last year that the main reason he got fined so much last year was because he said "I'm looking to hurt people.". This will only put a bigger target on his back.

--- Added 7/13/2011 at 08:07 AM ---

Also, singling out your offenses two best weapons probably isn't a good idea either. I know that Joe Greene and Terry Bradshaw hated each other, but they did what they had to do to win. We will see if the Steelers can do this from this point forward.
    Once a fan, always a fan.
    --Andy

Starter
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by A Pac View Post
    Dear James Harrison, this is why you get fined so much.

Sincerely,
    Common Sense

Seriously, this guy wonders he gets fined more? He's a very good playe and I like his on the field artitude, however his mouth is a problem for the Steeler organization. I said last year that the main reason he got fined so much last year was because he said "I'm looking to hurt people.". This will only put a bigger target on his back.

--- Added 7/13/2011 at 08:07 AM ---

Also, singling out your offenses two best weapons probably isn't a good idea either. I know that Joe Greene and Terry Bradshaw hated each other, but they did what they had to do to win. We will see if the Steelers can do this from this point forward.
    I never heard that Bradshaw and Greene hated each other. Greene had Bradshaws back. Stuck up for him early on in his career when Noll was flip flopping qbs.

--- Added 7/14/2011 at 05:57 PM ---

First of all we lost the SB as a team. Harrison did little in that game himself. We had 3 turnovers, missed fg, dumb penalties (keyaron Fox). Our defense created no turnovers. Didn't stop GB when they needed to. missed fg. We were outcoached too. The team didn't play championship football in a championship game.There was plenty of blame to go around.

James who bailed out the Steelers in sb 43 when your defense failed to hold onto a 13 point lead? Yes big Ben.And who should have been ejected???? And even Peyton Manning has thrown ints. SB 44 which put the icing on the cake for the Saints.

Ok I don't like Goodell either. Not too many people do. But you're not helping your case. I'm not going to say I'm going to **** on my companies CEO. I also don't call out my coworkers. And I've wanted to punch Bruce Arians too.

All Harrison has done is make himself look like a classless jackass thug. James shut up and play football! We don't need anymore negative PR.

--- Added 7/14/2011 at 06:06 PM ---

[QUOTE=Big T;426720]Here come all the "goodbye James" and "cut him" comments lol. Dude has never been the sharpest tool in the shed. He's a badass dude who speaks his mind and doesn't give a f*ck. Certainly they were ill-advised comments but I don't see it as that big of a deal. Rashard said it himself that he doesn't care what he said because he knows James. I'm sure Ben will feel the same. Hell, those two have their own little pregame ritual together lol....

I don't buy that Rashard and Ben took this lightly, even if they said they did.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

I must truthfully admit one of my first responses was punish 92 for his comments against his team members. you can blast goodell all you want and I'm fine with that!!, but geeez leave the teammates out of it. So what you're a WR now James? I've defended Harrison in the past but to call out Mendy and Big Ben (no matter how much those players down play it) is not for the media. Keep that B.S. in the locker room. It would be interesting to know if he spoke up on the sidelines or if the big badass kept his mouth shut when it was face to face and only spoke his feelings to the media two months later. Am I the only one getting sick of this off season bullsheet? Why is it a lot of fans on here are quick with the "lets cut this guy" comments? Probably because they could be sick and tired of "defending" their team to every off season negative event that seems to occur like clockwork. Are we the new Cowboys? Good on the field but in trouble off the field? Kinda makes me sick, because I think we're better than that.
    Have Terrible Towel, Will Travel.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This interview was done in May, but released now by Men's Journal. Poor timing if you ask me. I'm anxious to hear his reaction to this article and also what the Rooney's and Tomlin have to say.

Some quotes from the article:

"My rep is James Harrison, mean son of a bitch who loves hitting the hell out of people" but up until last year, there was no word of me being dirty - till Roger Goodell, who's a crook and a puppet, said i was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I to **** to put him out, I wouldn't do it. I hate him and will never respect him."

In reference to the meetings in New York last year..

"What I tried to explain to Goodell, but he was too stupid to understand."

Rashard Mendenhall: "He's a fumble machine"

on Roethlisberger: "He's no Peyton Manning, He just gets paid like he does."
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 07-13-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Draft Pick
    If these are the true feeling he has regarding Ben and Mendenhall, I am glad. But I wouldn't have spoke my mind in Men Journal. He should be pissed they lost the Super Bowl. This team should have a chip on it's shoulder and want to play better than they did back in Feb. He is a 100% right Ben tries to do too much and that he should not try to play like Peyton. This is a non-issue but people are going to make it one because he went public with his feeling about team mates.
    I hope that this team doesn't dismantle because of these comments. If anything they should become more united. One other thing, I wanted to punch Bruce Arians myself a few times....there are many on this board who would have been inline to do the same.

Thread Information