Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't crucify Hines Ward

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Exclamation Don't crucify Hines Ward

July 9th, 2011, the day that will mark the 3rd season in a row that someone on the Steelers has run into "off the field" problems. The 2 previous seasons involved Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and his alleged problems in Las Vegas and in Georgia. I say alleged because nothing was ever proven and Ben was not found guilty of these crimes. That's something we've all dissected 9 ways to Sunday since, so there's no need to dive into it again.

The latest problem facing a player on a team that hates to be in the public eye as it is, let alone in a negative manner, is Receiver Hines Ward who was arrested on suspicion of DUI while in Georgia. Ward's business agents have stated that their client was not drunk at the time of the incident. The DeKalb County Sheriff said Ward was booked and released on $1,300 bond. Reports say that Ward was driving his Aston Martin when he hit a curb, which caused Police to pull him over. Hines refused a breathalyzer test but did cooperate fully and peacefully with police other than that. Hines stated that he had 2 drinks while out with a friend. The friend had not been drinking and was able to drive the car home instead of having it impounded.

There are a ton of questions that we all want to know the answers too; such as why didn't his friend drive instead? Why did he refuse the test by police? Did his agent inform him that if this should ever happen to refuse the test? Did Hines really only have 2 drinks? What drinks were they? The list goes on and on but we will only know what Hines will allow us to know and whatever the authorities will release on this case in the future.

Having said that I think the Steeler Nation and the rest of those with an opinion should really take a step back before flying off the handle or passing judgment. Regardless of the fact that drinking and driving is illegal and can be deadly at any given moment, countless millions of Americans go to their local watering hole every day for a couple drinks after work and then drive home. Whether this includes you or not let's remember that we have no proof that he was legally drunk nor do we know any of the facts other than what has been reported to date by the media. Perhaps this is a good wake up call for a guy that's been the twinkle in the eye's of Steeler fans all across the globe since he came to the team when Bill Cowher drafted him. He is the ultimate success story in the NFL and in life whether you are a fan of the Steelers or not.

He's not invincible and we have no evidence to suspect that he thinks he is in the first place. People make mistakes, things happen in life that we wish would not happen. Maybe he needed a wake up call, maybe he did not, but let's not put on our judgement hats in haste. Just because Hines is a celebrity, doesn't make him any better or worse than us when it comes to this situation.

More facts will come to light in the coming days and weeks I'm sure, and we have no idea how the NFL or the Steelers organization will punish Ward, if at all. Remember, with the lockout in place it's not a regular offseason like we're used too. His image will surely take a hit even after such a successful offseason highlighted by his Dancing with the Stars campaign in which Ward and partner Kym Johnson won the coveted Mirror Ball Trophy from the ABC hit TV series. For the record I don't condone drinking and driving and I know terrible tragedies can occur in an instant when someone is under the influence. Personally, I have close friends who have lost loved ones due to driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Life lessons can be costly in many different ways. In the end though folks, he's human, we're human, and humans do things they regret at times. Fortunately, no harm was done other than to his reputation and his car, both of which can be repaired. So take that into account before you want to start calling for his release by the Rooney's.

BRC
    SteelerAddicts.com
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 07-10-2011 at 04:38 PM.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Right on bro!!!

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Addicted
    Because he refused the test he was charged. I know Maine does the same thing, not sure of other states. My guess is he gets off on some techno glitch.

A Real Catch 22

If a driver has not been drinking and driving and police ask you to take a breath test and you say no, you will automatically be arrested for DUI. However, if you have been drinking and driving and decide to take the breath test and you fail by going over the legal limit of .08%, you will also be arrested for DUI. To make it a bit more enticing, police are to remind you of Georgia’s Implied Consent Law and that refusing to take a chemical test will result in serious penalties. In a way, they are talking you into taking a chemical test. However, legally they can not hold you down and physically force you to submit a sample.
    http://www.georgiacriminaldefense.co...reathtest.html

My Mood
    Addicted
    Not rushing to judgement but I cannot say that I am not disappointed.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    least he didnt rape the cop...
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    Because he refused the test he was charged. I know Maine does the same thing, not sure of other states. My guess is he gets off on some techno glitch.
    I'm pretty sure it's somewhat of a national law, although states obviously have their variations. It's implied consent. In MD when you sign to get your license, you basically give prior consent to a breathalyzer to determine your BAC if/when the situation calls for it. If you do refuse, your license is confiscated. I'm sure the law is very similar in other states. However, I know in MD that refusing a breathalyzer really has no legal consequences, meaning that just because you don't take it doesn't mean that in court they can say, "so-and-so refused a breathalyzer, therefore they must have been under the influence." I'm kinda surprised that in GA it's the opposite.
    Last edited by steelersbabex25; 07-10-2011 at 10:48 PM.

Obviously asking the Steelers to release him because of this incident is way overboard. On the other hand to say that everyone has had a couple of drinks and driven it's no big deal is just as much overboard.

If he has a good attorney and gets out of it good for him. If he gets convicted and can't drive for a while so be it. I don't think the Steelers or the NFL need to do anything.

Fortunately, no harm was done
    Amen!
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    He'll get off. the officer did not explain what he was doing. He did not ask him to take a breath alcohol test, he asked him to take the test by it's brand name. he did not know what it was so he refused. Hines will be fine. I do not want to live in a world when you can't have two drinks with a meal and not be able to drive home. Granted, the two drinks should be in your limit and not quadrupal scotches or something like that....

Quote Originally Posted by ejsteeler View Post
    He'll get off. the officer did not explain what he was doing. He did not ask him to take a breath alcohol test, he asked him to take the test by it's brand name. he did not know what it was so he refused. Hines will be fine. I do not want to live in a world when you can't have two drinks with a meal and not be able to drive home. Granted, the two drinks should be in your limit and not quadrupal scotches or something like that....
    Ask to take the test by a brand name? He didn't know what that was? I don't get it. If he failed the field sobriety test surely he knew what the next test was going to be no matter what they called it.

2 drinks with a meal isn't a problem. This was after 3:00 am I doubt he was returning from dinner. Some reports say he was in a strip bar early that evening but was bored and left after an hour. wonder why he was bored...I guess the girls weren't that hot!

Another thing that makes you wonder, supposedly the cops let him drive to the police station, if he failed the field test why would they let him drive? That would be really stupid on their part, could you imagine the lawsuit if he was in an accident on the way to the station after they knew he was drinking? As usual in these cases there are many unanswered questions.

In other news Pacman got arrest that night to... not the best guy you want to make the news with there Hines.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Duke of 531
    I wonder how many people leaving heinz field after a game would fail a breathalyzer...i would bet it's in the thousands...not smashed drunk but over .08

Thread Information