Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Safety of the modern NFL era

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Best Safety of the modern NFL era

There are 2 obvious choices, Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that is on their level when both are on the field and healthy. LaRon Landry of the Redskins is definitely up near the top as well.

Reed can take an interception to the house anytime he gets his hands on it. He's been rock solid ever since he came into the league. His ability to play the run, pass, and on special teams beyond impressive.

Polamalu is the end all be all free lancing, do it all Safety. His ability to have such a feel for the game and anticipate the play is unlike anything the NFL has seen at his position.

The last 2 years or so neither player has been healthy for a full season and at their best, but still now it would be hard to choose one over the other if you had the chance. Having said that though, who's your choice for the top one?

landry was abysmal his entire career except last year when he moved to SS...id argue bob sanders, darren sharper, and even sean taylors brief career/life was better than landrys

this is tough cause they play 2 different positions and do things wayyyy differently, the only thing they have in common is they are made of glass. you build a secondary around either one of them, imo playing together they would be terrible as safeties

Starter
    imo ..

best safety = easily reed
    better football player = maybe troy ...

since reed gets the easily vs. the maybe i will give him my vote ... but i think we should all agree that these guys stand alone at the top pretty close together

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    define modern era...

other wise its Ronnie Lott
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

I think Reed is the better straight forward safety. The dude's ball skills are incredible.

My Mood
    Manic
    I'd pick Adrian Wilson before le'ron landry Wilson is a step below reed and polamalu but i think he's in the conversation

Reed is banged up for good, just plays centerfield now. Hates to hit, his neck (thanks to Hines) is a tackle away from retirement. Was great in his prime, but now just a shell of his former self while sucking major bucks away from Raven's management. He threatens to quit every summer, misses most of camp, and shows up early September. Typical Raven..

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    define modern era...

other wise its Ronnie Lott
    2K era mainly, maybe the last 10-15 years.

Bob Sanders is like Troy and Ed, made of glass. That poor dude can't stay healthy to save his life anymore.

Sean Taylor definitely a good call, so sad his life ended so soon. He was a beast.

Landry has been pretty solid, considering the woes that Washington has had he's been a stable force back there. Their secondary supporting cast around him hasn't been the greatest even though their defense overall usually isn't bad.

My Mood
    Frustrated
    I take Ronnie Lott over any safety of ANY ERA!

get that noise outta here. reed has almost as many INTs in half the time and has over twice as many total TDs. lott was the first of the kind, but not the best

i dont wanna say troy revolutionized the position, but he does it much much differently that stats are hard to tell the story.

Thread Information