Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

No plans to change training camp for the Steelers

No plans to change training camp
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011
    By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

For years, fans have descended upon Saint Vincent College in Latrobe to watch Steelers training camp. It has become an annual event for people who enjoy watching practices and standing in line for autographs.

The Steelers' plans for training camp have not changed, but other NFL teams have canceled their off-site training camps because of the uncertainty created by the lockout.

Last week the Baltimore Ravens canceled their plans to train at McDaniel College, and the New York Jets informed SUNY-Cortland that they would not be training there. Instead they will hold training camp, if there is one, at the facilities they use during the regular season.

The Vikings told Minnesota State University that the drop-dead date for holding camp there is July 18. If the lockout is not settled by then the team will train at their in-season facility.

Saint Vincent spokesman Don Orlando said Monday that the college is "optimistic" that the Steelers will hold training camp there despite the uncertainty of the lockout.
    "We'll be ready if they need us," Orlando said.

Orlando also said the Steelers have not informed the college of a date when they would make a decision regarding training camp. The Steelers confirmed Monday that there is not a drop-dead date for the team to make a decision.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin sidestepped the question two weeks ago when he was asked about it at his football camp. The Steelers usually open training camp in late July, but they have not set a date this year because of the lockout.
    While the Steelers and Saint Vincent aren't saying much about training camp, local hotels and restaurants are eagerly awaiting word.

Dawn Roberts, the general manager at the Courtyard by Marriott in Greensburg, said bookings are down for late July and early August because of the NFL labor situation. She decorates her hotel with Steelers memorabilia every year to welcome out-of-town fans who made the trek to camp.

"We're getting a lot of calls from people. They want to know, 'Have we heard anything?' " Roberts said.

If training camp is not held at Saint Vincent this year Roberts projected that her hotel would stand to lose about $18,000-20,000 in business.

I miss home this time of year!! I hope like hell they can keep the dates..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I see no reason that the Steelers can't hold training camp in Latrobe even if it is shortened due to the lockout lingering on. Coaches love taking their teams away and using that time to focus solely on football. It builds team unity and focus.

It's not like St. Vincent doesn't know they are coming or that this is the first year for it. The college will be ready and things could be set up pretty quickly if need be.

One of these years I need to spend two weeks in Pennsylvania in August. That way I can attend Steelers training camp for a day or two, and I can also explore all the parts of Pennsylvania that I never got to see. (Moving away at age 16 sucked.)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Training camp is a blast. Thousands of Steeler fans all hanging out and having a good time. Player autographs, Steelers apparel, and better access to the players than you'll get at any game unless you have a press pass.

Plus the best pizza in the world: http://jioiospizza.com/ right down the road.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Steelers still planning for camp at St. Vincent

Monday, July 11, 2011
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

In what might be an indication that an end to the National Football League labor strife is nearing, the Steelers are still planning to hold training camp at St. Vincent College in Latrobe, team president Art Rooney II said today.

While at least three teams have already canceled plans to stage training camp at their usual off-site locations, the Steelers continue to hold out hope they will be able to report on time for the start of their 46th consecutive year at St. Vincent -- the longest streak in the NFL.

"We are still planning to go," Rooney told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
    The Steelers have not scheduled a starting date for the official opening of camp, but it likely will be the weekend of July 29-31, which would be two weeks before their first preseason game Aug. 12 against the Washington Redskins in Landover, Md. Teams are allowed to report to training camp no more than 15 days before their first preseason game.

That, though, depends on the resolution of the lockout that exists between the owners and NFL players. The Baltimore Ravens, New York Giants and New York Jets have already canceled their plans to hold training camp at off-site locations.
    "Obviously, we may get to the point where we have to make adjustments," Rooney said. "But we will hold on as long as we can."

From the PG

Thread Information