Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If it comes down to Flozell Adams or Willie Colon

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

If it comes down to Flozell Adams or Willie Colon

Flozell Adams wants to return if he can start, and Colon wants to return as well. Both are considered Tackles for the Steelers right now, and since both want to return the Steelers have a decision to make. If it comes down to those 2 I think the obvious choice is Flozell.

With Marcus Gilbert drafted in the 2nd round this year there are options for the future. For this year though Adams needs to be the man at Right Tackle. Not bringing him back and letting Colon back at Right Tackle just doesn't make any sense. The perfect scenario is there for the Steelers right now:

- Adams finishes out the last year of his 2 yr. deal at RT. He retires after 2011 and Gilbert steps right in to assume those duties in 2012 after taking a year to watch and learn.

- Colon comes back and fights it out with Ramon Foster for the Right Guard spot. That would be a great battle to watch. I really like Foster, and he works very well with Flozell there on the right side. Most of us here agree that Colon could make a really good Guard, he seems to be more suited for that position. Couple that with the mean streak that he has and nasty disposition on the field and it could turn out very well.

That's the great thing about the Steelers offensive line right now, every one of them plays with a chip on their shoulder and real bad attitude on the field towards the opposition. Regardless of how good they are or aren't, they take no crap from anyone.

That's the ideal situation; Colon has said he would consider playing Guard, but if it comes down to free agency and getting the chance to play somewhere else as a guaranteed starter, he could very well take it. It would be nice to have him around as additional backup but I don't think he'd be down with that. Even if Willie does leave via free agency you've got established players in Foster and Adams ready to go.

Max Starks is still a very capable LT even with some recent injury problems. From what I've heard he's ready to go for 2011.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 06-27-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Ideally the line looks like this to me:

Starks, Kemoeatu (ok not ideal cause i hate him), Pouncey, Gilbert, flozell

I wouldnt be opposed to moving colon out of here, i actually think he has substantially high value...i do like him though, so if they move him they better like gilbert long term at RT or LT.

Gilbert is a smooth athlete and would team well with pouncey on the interior, but long term he would be wasted at guard, hes way to light on his feet to not be a tackle imo....but guard would allow him to get used to the pro game, and the way flo gets banged up or needs a spell its not unlikely that he would have to kick out to RT and have foster come in and play spot duty RG.

I hate jonathan and chris scott, i think legs should stay as a backup C/G/FB, i think foster has earned a spot as a backup RG and possible starter, and i think essex should just go away

I would prefer Flozell at RT over Willie, breeding Gilbert to be the next young T. I thought the right side of the line performed better with Adams in there than it has in the past with Colon; however, Pouncey was also anchoring the middle, so that probably freed up the RG position to do a bit more.

Starter
    Flozell simly destroyed people on the right last year .. im fine with him as long as Gilbert is the answer at RT .. i missed starks last year at LT

Anyone like Cordy Glenn in 2012?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Steelers always talk about their players being tried out at Guard but inevitably they end up at the position they are supposed to be in. There was talk of Pouncey being tried at Guard to get used to the system and then working his way into Center. We all know how that turned out, Maurkice took the Center job in training camp and never looked back.

IMO there's no way, no reason whatsoever, to put Gilbert at Guard. He's a huge, mammoth individual with quick feet and good hands. The prototypical Tackle in the NFL. Sean Kugler already has a solid Guard duo in Kemo and Foster. Add in a capable backup like Legursky and possibly Colon there too and you can see a solid lineup all the way around.

Kemo though has got to watch his temper, several times last year he cost us 15 yds. on stupid plays. That diving into the pile at the goal line still drives me nuts!

My Mood
    Manic
    I like the line like this LT Scott LG Colon C pouncey Rg foster RT Adams/Gilbert
    cut kemoeatu we can also find a servicable guard in free agency
    Last edited by connecticutsteel; 06-27-2011 at 10:54 PM.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I'm happy we have the options that we do.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    I like the line like this LT Scott LG Colon C pouncey Rg foster RT Adams/Gilbert
    cut kemoeatu we can also find a servicable guard in free agency
    that line brings me physical pain. scott was abysmal last year, colon isnt anywhere close to being a good enough athlete to play LG...too slow, too heavy on his feet, and not quick at all, hes purely a drive blocking RT and thats not a bad spot for him. Foster is a servicable guard, but really hes pretty much the same player as colon, he just plays lower and can play on the interior and hold his own. and adams/gilbert is exactly what i want...and not even an open competition, i want flo to stay the starter and let gilbert spell him when hes tired or banged up and give gilbert some chances to impress fresh off the bench

My Mood
    Manic
    replace scott with starks

Cut the fattest guy.

Thread Information