Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben Roethlisberger: Surgery an option

Bookmark and Share
    Westerville, OH now but from Mount Lebanon, PA
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

My Social Networks

Follow StlersGuy On Twitter Add StlersGuy on Facebook Add StlersGuy on Google+ Visit StlersGuy's Youtube Channel

Ben Roethlisberger: Surgery an option

From ESPN

A broken foot that slowed Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger through much of the end of last season -- and into the playoffs and Super Bowl -- may need an operation to correct the injury.

Roethlisberger, speaking to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Friday, said his right foot bothered him so much last season "there were times during practice and games where I didn't feel like I'd be able to walk."
    But the lockout, Roethlisberger told the newspaper, has given him time to rest. And as a result the foot has nearly fully healed.

"I could have had surgery, but according to the doctors it would have been a really nasty process because of where the break was," Roethlisberger said. "It was better off trying not to do anything. It's going to be something where we're just going to have to, in essence, play it by ear.

"If it continues to be as painful as it was at the end of last year, then I'm going to probably have to have the surgery."

But as the lockout continues -- Saturday marked the standoff's 102nd day -- Roethlisberger has taken advantage of the downtime.

"It's doing really good. It's healed up," he said. "Obviously, it helps when I'm not cutting and planting and doing all of these different activities. It's really come a long way. I haven't had too many problems with it recently."

Roethlisberger overcame the injury to lead the Steelers to the Super Bowl, where they lost 31-25 to the Green Bay Packers.
    A metal-reinforced cleat helped him though the injury, starting with a Dec. 5 game at Baltimore and throughout the rest of the season and playoffs -- eight games, all told.

After his four-game suspension to start the season, Roethlisberger returned to throw for 3,200 yards with 17 touchdowns and five interceptions.

But the loss to the Packers still burns, he said.

"I don't know if it will ever really go away," he said, "unless you can get back and win one."

Update 6/27, Ryan Tollner, Ben's agent says nothing has changed with Ben's foot.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 06-27-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Why didn't he get the surgery after the season was over then????
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Maybe the doctors told him to just let it heal?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    He said the doctors told him it was just as good to let it heal on it's own. I would guess had the lockout not happened he may have just went ahead and done it.

My concern is, if it flares up once training camp does start and he decides to have the surgery, how long would he be down for?

Westerville, OH now but from Mount Lebanon, PA
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

My Social Networks

Follow StlersGuy On Twitter Add StlersGuy on Facebook Add StlersGuy on Google+ Visit StlersGuy's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Why didn't he get the surgery after the season was over then????
    that's the 1st thing that came to my head as I was reading this

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    He said the doctors told him it was just as good to let it heal on it's own. I would guess had the lockout not happened he may have just went ahead and done it.

My concern is, if it flares up once training camp does start and he decides to have the surgery, how long would he be down for?
    It's actually better to let it heal on its own unless it's so displaced or whatever that they have to do some sort of open reduction. Doesn't sound like that was the case with Ben. He said it's healed now. He didn't really clarify why he might have to play it by ear about surgery. I can't imagine running around on a broken foot like he did though.

This is just Ben being Ben...he is a bit of a drama queen at times.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Root4Stlrs View Post
    I can't imagine running around on a broken foot like he did though.
    And all these c**ksmokers call him a sissy!!

Amputate it and give him a peg leg. He'll still be able to brush off Suggs.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I'm sure he's talked with the Steelers doctors as well, off the record since the lockout has been in place. At this point unless they thought it was going to affect him in 2011 he'd have had the surgery by now. Still though if this flares up once the season starts it could be bad news.

Thread Information