Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If Ike Taylor leaves for free agency who will the starters be?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Manic
    It's not so much a quality TE but it's the lesser of two evils cover the slot or rb or te you can't cover everyone in a base d

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    And that would change from last year how? LOL. Everybody knows you can't make a living running against the Steelers so why bother? They can have way too much success throwing it. It used to be that our great pass rush could make up for the deficiencies at cornerback but as we've seen the last couple years even with a good pass rush they can still get the ball out quickly. Well I should clarify, the good QB's can do that, guys like Manning and Brady, the ones with a quick release and an offense that utilizes the Tight End a lot. If there was ever one thing about a Dick Lebeau 34 defense that drives me nuts, it's how much a quality TE can shred the defense.
    That kid from NE last year just tore us apart... I still dont understand why Harrison didnt deliver a crushing hit to him one time to knock some scared into him. I hope we can make the necessary adjustments for this years rematch. There is NOTHING worse than seeing my Steelers get blown out.
    I like big hits and I cannot lie

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    According to the article in profootballtalk.com, it doesn't look like Ike will be coming back.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    According to the article in profootballtalk.com, it doesn't look like Ike will be coming back.
    I think he is trying to build up his brand more than anything. If he sounds like he will be a challenge to resign, then the initial contract offer made to him by the Steelers will more than likely be higher than if he would say that he wants to stay in Pittsburgh and give them a hometown discount.

Kind of like whenever you go to buy a car: Never act interested in the car.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    These rumors have been flying since Ike was on Rome is Burning and said he wants market value, he'll make home anywhere he goes, etc. He's not going to say yes I'm coming back and give the idea that he'll take a home town discount, even if he will do so. Ike will have a lot of suitors and he knows the Steelers need him. It will be interesting to see how fast he makes a decision once the NFL year starts. By that I mean, there won't be much time to entertain a lot of offers and do a lot of visits. Teams will have to decide quickly who they want and how much they want to offer, that includes the Steelers. Ike won't have much time to figure out his plan, which could be an advantage for the Steelers.

I love Ike, and hope he resigns with the Steelers, but if he was to leave, C. Rodgers (from the Skins) of D. Hall (from the Bungles) would be my picks to come in as FA. Lewis, and Bulter hasn't done anything yet, and Gay didn't do it when he was the starter: C. Brown and C. Allen will be behind as rookies anyway buy are going to be way behind since there were no OTA ths offseason. If Ike wants 5-7 million per season for 5 years, great resign him, but if he is looking for 8+ million per season, see ya.

Quote Originally Posted by greg1964 View Post
    I love Ike, and hope he resigns with the Steelers, but if he was to leave, C. Rodgers (from the Skins) of D. Hall (from the Bungles) would be my picks to come in as FA. Lewis, and Bulter hasn't done anything yet, and Gay didn't do it when he was the starter: C. Brown and C. Allen will be behind as rookies anyway buy are going to be way behind since there were no OTA ths offseason. If Ike wants 5-7 million per season for 5 years, great resign him, but if he is looking for 8+ million per season, see ya.
    If Ike would be 9-10 mil a year, who has 2 INTs.. how much is NA a year?

How much is a Joseph or Rogers?

if the imaginary cap is 125mil and were close and we need to spend 5 mil more a year for a NA over an Ike. Wouldnt that make sense to backup your other 115mill already spent on the entire team, for an extra 5mil for NA, to almost guarantee a SB run. Then hope, Butler, Brown, Allen, McFadden come up with something special.

I still don't think that Nnamdi would be some miraculous solution for this team's secondary issues. Taylor isn't the weak spot; the weakness is from McFadden, Gay and to some extent, Clark. Say NA comes to Pittsburgh and the team gets rid of Taylor: Great, there is a shutdown corner, but the other side of the field is completely exposed unless someone else can step up big time.

I think the team needs more talent throughout the secondary more than one huge name. Don't get me wrong, Nnamdi would be sick, but I don't think he would be incredibly potent without someone decent across from him.

Mcfadden is the real problem. Spot on!

From rotoworld.com

Multiple sources tell FOX Sports' Adam Caplan that the Eagles intend to show "strong interest" in free agent CB Ike Taylor.

Caplan has a better read on the Eagles than any team. Per his report, the Eagles are considering using more zone concepts in the secondary this year, and Taylor learned similar principles under Dick LeBeau in Pittsburgh. Taylor has ideal size for zone coverage at 6-foot-2, 195, and he'll be a cheaper option than Nnamdi Asomugha. Taylor has also played right corner predominantly in his career. The Eagles need a bookend for LCB Asante Samuel

Thread Information