Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colon's career has several paths when lockout ends

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Colon's career has several paths when lockout ends

His future has not generated as much speculation as Ike Taylor's but Willie Colon finds himself in a similar situation as the Steelers cornerback.
    Colon wants to stay in Pittsburgh. But, like Taylor, Colon acknowledges that a decision he may have to make in the near future is a business one, too.

Colon is expected to be an unrestricted free agent once the NFL lockout ends. And a number of factors could complicate his returning to the team for which he started 54 consecutive games at right tackle from 2006-09.

They range from a potential crowd the Steelers have at tackle to how much of a priority the organization will make Colon when teams have a limited period to sign free agents and draft picks.

What may be low — or lower than some might think — on the Steelers' list of considerations when it comes to Colon: the foot injury he sustained a little over a year ago.

That is how well Colon is moving around after missing last season because of a ruptured Achilles tendon.
    "You wouldn't even know anything's wrong with him," Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said.
    Colon shredded his right Achilles tendon while running sprints at the Steelers' facility last June. The 6-foot-3, 315-pounder said he had fully recovered from the injury by January and that the lockout is all that prevented him from practicing during the offseason.

"When I've got to go against (LaMarr) Woodley and some of those other guys, then I will know where I'm exactly at," Colon said, "but right now, I feel great."
    What may be more of a question for the Steelers is where Colon fits into their plans — both this year and beyond.

Flozell Adams, who signed with the Steelers last July, exceeded expectations after moving from left to right tackle. All indications are that he wants to return for the second and final year of his contract.

Also, the Steelers used their second-round draft pick in April on 6-6, 330-pound Marcus Gilbert, though they plan to try him at both tackle and guard before deciding where he best fits.

Even if Colon returns to the Steelers, he could be on the move.
    Coach Mike Tomlin and offensive line coach Sean Kugler have said they are open to the possibility of Colon playing guard in 2011. That is something that could be particularly intriguing to the Steelers if left tackle Max Starks makes a healthy return from a neck injury — and if the coaches are confident they can coax another good year out of the 36-year-old Adams.

Perhaps the biggest factor working against such a move is the Steelers did not have the luxury of experimenting during the offseason since all practices were a casualty of the lockout.

"I'm not against it," Colon said of moving to guard, "but nevertheless, I feel like I'm a right tackle. We pull (left guard) Chris (Kemoeatu) so much that if I was to move to guard, I know I could add some balance. However, my heart is at tackle. I love the challenge of playing out there."

The Steelers and Joe Linta have never had serious discussions on a long-term deal for Colon. But Linta, Colon's agent, said he is ready to talk when the NFL re-opens for business.

"I think Willie's the No. 1 or No. 2 right tackle in football," Linta said. "I would hope they want him back but if they don't I feel confident someone will."

Colon, a self-described "blue-collar player," said he is looking for a fair deal when the time comes for him to sign a long-term contract. He also will look out for his family.
    Colon's mother has Lupus and cannot work. She lives with Colon, who said he has been the "man" of the house since his father passed away prior to the Steelers' Super Bowl win against the Arizona Cardinals in early 2009.

"My heart is definitely in Pittsburgh but like my agent has stressed and I've stressed I've got to be able to help my family," said Colon, who signed a one-year, $2.52 million deal in 2010. "Being a Steelers is an honor in itself but with that said my goal is just to flat out be the best football player I can, if not for the Steelers then somebody."

"I think Willie's the No. 1 or No. 2 right tackle in football," Linta said. "I would hope they want him back but if they don't I feel confident someone will."

ROFL

Okay, go get that #1/#2 money, then. I don't smoke pot, but I would try some if I could have what Colon and his agent are smoking.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    His agent has mentioned this before, how he thinks Colon is a top 2 Tackle in the NFL. Now I know as an agent you're supposed to be in your guys corner and pump him up to potential suitors, but goodness, Colon is good but he's not a top 2 tackle by any stretch.

There's just no way!

In any event based on this article and also Ed Bouchette from the PG, his agent isn't optimistic they'll hear from the Steelers once the lockout ends anyways. The future Tackle opposite Max Starks is Marcus Gilbert in 2012. Like we've talked about before, Colon could be a real decent Guard but it's not imperative right now, Foster does a pretty solid job.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    His agent has mentioned this before, how he thinks Colon is a top 2 Tackle in the NFL. Now I know as an agent you're supposed to be in your guys corner and pump him up to potential suitors, but goodness, Colon is good but he's not a top 2 tackle by any stretch.

There's just no way!

In any event based on this article and also Ed Bouchette from the PG, his agent isn't optimistic they'll hear from the Steelers once the lockout ends anyways. The future Tackle opposite Max Starks is Marcus Gilbert in 2012. Like we've talked about before, Colon could be a real decent Guard but it's not imperative right now, Foster does a pretty solid job.
    If Colon would play guard, I wouldn't mind him staying. For the price, it may be better to let him go and keep Foster so that extra space could be allocated to a more important signing.

colon is probably a top 6 RT...many steeler fans dont like that about him for some reason lol

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    colon is probably a top 6 RT...many steeler fans dont like that about him for some reason lol
    I really haven't be impressed enough by his play to call him a top flight RT. I'd rather save cap space and keep Adams than struggle to sign Colon.

yeah we need the cap space with all the sweet free agents they go after lol

if they wanna free up cap space they should make ward and troy restructure...making wayyyyy too much money for either not even close to enough production (ward) or is always injured (troy). realistically we dont need to free up cap space. the front office is good about making the extension woodley and ike are due pretty cap friendly and back end heavy

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I think you're over-rating Colon big time Ktrain....I could easily name 10 RT's that I would take over Colon.......I think a washed up 36 year old Flo Adams is better then Colon ever was in his prime....Now Colon is coming off injury and that is even a bigger no thanks for me...Let the bum leave and I hope he isn't resigned......

flo clearly wasnt washed up, he was just old....hes a prototype RT even though he went all his career being a moderately good LT.

Damian Woody, David Stewart, Jeff Otah, vernon carey...maybe a couple others based on potential like anthony davis, gabe carimi....EASILY naming RTs around the league isnt very easy though

just for a reference though

FO: http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2009
    #8 running around the right end

PFF: Third best tackle in the league. Best primary RT.
    http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=b...

These numbers are far better than most would expect. There's a gaping hole to his left and that makes him look a lot worse than he is....having essex as the worst RG in football playing next to the worst C in football 3 years running was tough on colon and he was still rock solid. Its tough to truly evaluate those stats but hes been a hell of a consistent player. you say im way overrating him, i say your way underrating him for a few holding and false starts.

not saying i love him, but i like him alright enough to keep him around. hes a phenomenal drive blocker, him at guard might actually be an interesting experiement

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Guard yes, run blocker, sure. He's a big time road grader so you have to love that about him. Watching him get torched on his outside was hard to watch though man. He was above average when he played but I still say he's not a long term answer at Right Tackle.

Flozell was certainly not washed up, he was a victim of younger players and the salary cap. He did have some holding and false start issues late in his career at Dallas but he proved he's still got some fight left in him.

Keeping Colon around as to fight it out at Guard and backup Tackle would be a best case scenario but who knows if he'd be willing to come back without a guarantee getting his starting job back.

Thread Information