Thread: Collins calls it quits

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Love

Collins calls it quits

www.nfl.com

Sweet sixteen: Collins decides to end lengthy NFL career

Quarterback Kerry Collins announced his retirement from the NFL on Thursday, ending his 16-year career and possibly speeding up the Jake Locker era for the Tennessee Titans.

Collins, the Titans' off-and-on starter since 2006, released a statement in which he said after several months of "introspection," he decided that "my willingness to commit to the preparation necessary to play another season has waned to a level that I feel is no longer adequate to meet the demands of the position."

"I want to wish Mike Munchak and the Tennessee Titans the best of luck in the future," Collins added. "I have had a fantastic five years here, and my family and I look forward to remaining part of the Middle Tennessee community that has been extremely gracious towards us and an honor to play for."

With Collins not coming back, the Titans are left with first-round draft pick Locker and second-year pro Rusty Smith at quarterback. The team said earlier this year that it would trade or release Vince Young, its 2006 first-round pick, after a tumultuous time together.

Collins, 39, enjoyed his best season with the Titans in 2008, when he took over for an injured Young and started 15 games, going 12-3 as the team won the AFC South. Collins then signed a two-year, $15 million contract that expired after the 2010 season.

Collins threw for 40,441 yards, 11th on the NFL's all-time list, with 206 touchdowns and 195 interceptions in his career. In addition to the Titans, he played for the Carolina Panthers (1995-98), New Orleans Saints (1998), New York Giants (1999-2003) and Oakland Raiders (2004-05). He led the Giants to Super Bowl XXXV (a loss to the Baltimore Ravens) and made two Pro Bowls.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This was long overdue, the Titans need to move forward and into a new regime. Carrying baggage like Collins along and Vince Young was not the way to do it. Their QB situation in Tennessee has been unsettled for years. Get Locker under center and let him learn on the job.

Duke of 531
    I'll always have fond memories of Kerry Collins leading the nittany lions...the uncrowned champions of 1994 were the finest college football team I have ever had the pleasure to watch...I would have bet the house they would have easily dispatched of nebraska had they played...and I think they would have given the bottom teams in the NFL a game...but Tom osbourne never won a title and the voters gave it to him...the title should have at least been split

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

My Mood
    Manic
    My fondest memory of Collins is when he quit on the Saints he was talented but any man that quits on his team i can't cheer for sorry Kerry BYE!

Thread Information