Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16 game Thursday night schedule could be a reality?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

16 game Thursday night schedule could be a reality?

There is a report this afternoon that a new 16-game Thursday night schedule is part of the new collective bargaining agreement that is being negotiated between the league and the players' union. Chris Mortensen of ESPN is reporting this nugget as well as other details.

The NFL currently has an eight-game Thursday night schedule on the NFL Network, so the league can probably more than double what they are generating now with eight more games.

Here are some of the highlights of his report:

• Players get 48 percent of "all revenue," without extra $1-billion-plus off top that previously had been requested by owners.
    • Players' share will never dip below 46.5 percent, under new formula being negotiated.
    • Teams required to spend close to 100 percent of the salary cap.
    • Rookie wage scale part of deal but still being "tweaked."
    • Four years needed for unrestricted free-agent status. Certain tags will be retained, but still being discussed.
    • 18-game regular season designated only as negotiable item and at no point is mandated in deal.
    • Owners still will get some expense credits that will allow funding for new stadiums.
    • Retirees to benefit from improved health care, pension benefits as revenue projected to double to $18 million by 2016.
    Other reports from national media covering the owners' meetings in Chicago are projecting optimism and that the owners are not fighting amongst themselves. We'll see how this plays out the rest of the day, but there seems to be some positive momentum going forward.

Courtesy of Ed Bouchette

Draft Pick

100% Spending

I am glad to see this. while I am not a Bengals fan, I have a few friends who are and to be honest, watching them go through the trials and tribulations of Mike Brown every year would be great. Brown's father must be spinning in his grave as the way his son and to some degree his grand-daughter is running that team.
    Brown, I would imagine is pissed that this is even being proposed. While many will say screw the Bengals and it's better for the Steelers, it does hurt the players in general when you have a team or two, running a team like they do. The Bengals kind of remind me of the way the Pirates are run. I wish baseball would have a cap.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Who knows how much of these will actually get implemented. I kinda like it the way it is now, with having the thursday and saturday prime time games on later in the year when it really gets down to the playoff race.

I don't see how the players can argue with getting 48% of all revenue, that's a huge amount when you consider how much the NFL makes every year.

Duke of 531
    definetly not looking forward to more night games...they had better keep the cap at 5 night games per team...nothing worse than trying to get up at 5:30 am after getting in from heinz field drunk at 2 am...god i miss the seventies when 90% of steeler games were sunday at 1 pm

My Mood
    Manic
    this was goodell's baby it also isn't going to happen anytime soon according to league officials this is off the table

I like the "event factor" of thursday night football later in the season better than the "lets make it an every week deal". Damn right i would tune in, but how would that impact injuries and how a team prepares for the next week. A lot of marquee players may miss due to them playing only four days ago.
    Have Terrible Towel, Will Travel.

My Mood
    Smokin
    Quote Originally Posted by airbrake 1 View Post
    definetly not looking forward to more night games...they had better keep the cap at 5 night games per team...nothing worse than trying to get up at 5:30 am after getting in from heinz field drunk at 2 am...god i miss the seventies when 90% of steeler games were sunday at 1 pm
    I agree...I get up at 4:30...I am a fan of 1 pm games!!!! I actually wish games were on Saturdays....then you would have sunday to recover

Thanks for the sig Flea

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    I don't like the 16 game Thursday schedule. It's not bad if you can have a buy week before or after but they can't do that at the begining of the season. I don't like it at thre end of the season either really. Those games get important and going into a marquee match-up on 4 days rest doesn't help the game imo.

I'm definitely not a fan of having a Thursday night game every week. I already spend all day Sunday watching football, plus Monday night. I get a little footballed out, because I can guarantee that not every game is going to be some prime match up.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Playing a Thursday night game is like getting a second bye week in the season, however it's at the cost of having to turn around and play 4 days after you just finished a game.

Rampage makes a good point, especially early on in the season there aren't that many titanic matchups that would warrant a primetime game. Sure you can put divisional rivals against each other or some other teams but even those games, as fun as they are to watch, aren't worth a Thursday night slot that early in the season when there are already Sunday night and Monday night games.

Thread Information