Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger vs Freeman

Bookmark and Share

Roethlisberger vs Freeman

So this is definitely an off season boredom thread but I have a question to propose to SA. I get into arguments all the time at work with a bucs fan about who you would rather have right now considering age, skill, potential, off field issues (I know horseshit). Both players kind of have a similar style with the ability to use their legs, although in different ways. Both seem to be underscored by the fact that they're winners, evident by Ben's success and Freeman's 4th quarter comebacks. So my question is, unbiased, who do you take to be your franchise qb right now considering all of the above?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Right now there is no question who the obvious choice is, that's Roethlisberger. The experience that Ben has, the championships, the playoff comebacks, it all adds up to Ben being ranked higher than Josh Freeman. Now Freeman is young but he's got a lot of potential. As he improves in the coming years he could very well become a top flight Quarterback in the NFL. He's got good awareness in the pocket, a good arm, and a lot of natural ability. He's just not there yet when you compare him to other top QB's in the league. When you rank the top QB's in the league; Manning, Brady, Big Ben they are no brainers. The next group of up and coming Quarterbacks, Freeman is probably at the top of that list.

Starter
    I like Freeman and all, but the Bucs only beat one team with a winning record last year ..

obvious to me that right here/right now Ben is the man ..

Absolutely no doubt in my mind if you were building a team to win in 2012 it would be roethlisberger for all the reasons mentioned, but considering the next decade I don't think it would be such a clear cut decision. Comparing Freeman's first two years with Ben's are very similar minus the postseason success for the bucs. But consider Ben came on to a team already loaded with talent and a very defined QB role made for him, while Freeman is the building block the bucs offense is built on, I mean the guy took two rookie wr's last year and created an air game from nothing. My pick is still Ben but I'm just trying to show you where the indecision comes from.

they are very similar players, i didnt even realize how big and strong freeman was until he went pro.

ben is a much more aware QB, and a much better downfield passer. Freeman is getting better at it but he was pretty terrible at throwing the ball down the field in college and as a rookie. the emergence of mike williams helped him a lot.

this is no contest, but i like freeman a hell of a lot more than i did as a college prospect and i think the jets will look back and be like DAMN, sanchez isnt bad but with this team freeman could have put them over the top. hes a legit franchise QB, and will probably go from a top 15 QB last year to a top 10-12 one this year

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    When the Jets traded up for Sanchez I thought they were crazy and I thought they should have just settled for Freeman....I liked Freeman coming out of college and still believe he will be the best QB of that draft class but I'm very high on Stafford if he can stay healthy.........

My Mood
    Manic
    For me it's no contest yes i'll admit Freemen looked good last season but one season doesn't make him comparable to a two time super bowl winning Quarterback like Ben Roethlisberger. I personally would wait to compare them and give Freemen time to improve

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Why are we even talking about this?
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

I am SO glad Freeman is a Buc...he gives us hope for the future and, yes, his style gets compared to Ben. I can only hope they give him the weapons in the future to become as successful as Ben...I can dream, can't I?? lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucsfan4ever View Post
    I am SO glad Freeman is a Buc...he gives us hope for the future and, yes, his style gets compared to Ben. I can only hope they give him the weapons in the future to become as successful as Ben...I can dream, can't I?? lol

He's definitely the future for you guys, if the Bucs can continue to get quality people around him there's no reason he won't be successful. He's got the right attitude and the skill set to be a top passer.

Thread Information