Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunt for Cowher's successor could end quickly

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Hunt for Cowher's successor could end quickly

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07010/752517-66.stm

2 in-house candidates would keep the other, if possible; 4th interview is scheduled today

Wednesday, January 10, 2007
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers could choose Russ Grimm or Ken Whisenhunt to become their next head coach and, not only would they keep most of their coaching staff intact, the candidate not selected could return as well.

Grimm and Whisenhunt have told people privately that they would return as a Steelers assistant coach if they are not chosen as the team's head coach and if they are not hired elsewhere as a head coach.

Thus, if Grimm is hired as the Steelers' head coach, he could have Whisenhunt as his offensive coordinator -- with the possible additional title of assistant head coach, the same one Grimm has now as offensive line coach. And if Whisenhunt is promoted to Steelers head coach, Grimm could return in his same capacity.

Whisenhunt, who was interviewed by the Steelers yesterday, and Grimm, interviewed Monday, are the only members of the staff who are candidates for the job. The Steelers also interviewed Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera. They will interview Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin today, perhaps the fourth and final candidate for the job. The club could name a head coach to succeed Bill Cowher before the end of the week.

"I was honored to have the opportunity and excited to be included in this group," Whisenhunt said yesterday after his three-hour interview with the Steelers.

Whisenhunt and Grimm also are candidates for the head-coaching job with the Arizona Cardinals, where Grimm interviewed yesterday. Whisenhunt also is a candidate in Miami.

"The organization, as I see it, is making all the right moves, and has one more to make," Grimm told the media in Arizona after his interview with the Cardinals. "We're still going to talk a little bit and take it from there."

Every assistant on the Steelers' coaching staff is under contract through the 2007 season. That means none can leave without the Steelers' permission unless it is to become a head coach elsewhere. Under previous NFL rules, a position coach could go to another team if it was for a promotion. The league has since abolished those rules; now an assistant can leave voluntarily only for three reasons: If his contract is up, if he receives permission from his team, or for a head-coaching job in the NFL.
    The media is really hyping up Grimm and Whiz here lately which we all expected of course since they've been with us for awhile now and both of them enjoy being here.

There could be more coaches gone soon, like Coughlin of the giants for example so it would behoove us to make a decision as quickly as possible once we know who we want.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    watch all this hype over these two, and then wednesday they hire tomlin lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Addicted
    I figure we will know by the weekend who it will be. I don't see the team taking a chance on losing the guy they want to another team.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by koopa View Post
    watch all this hype over these two, and then wednesday they hire tomlin lol
    or Rivera Would just go to show how little we know or think we know about who they'll pick

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    naw they won't hire rivera, they are a gonna keep the hispanics down lol

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i read on real gm that the interview lasted 3 hours

anyone know how long it lasted with grimm??

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_wi.../3746/20070110

House of Steel
    Thanks for the link, Koopa, it is looking to me like, Whiz is going to get this locked up.

It good to hear that both coaches want to stay regardless if one of them is hired as the new head coach. The loyalty to the Steelers organization really comes out during these times... Hopefully Cowher follows suit next year

I think Whisenhunt has got it too. He would be the obvious choice to me.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Im not sure how many hours Grimm's interview lasted but I can't imagine it was much shorter than what Ken's interview was.

I still think he may have a real chance to get it because he's already the assistant head coach as it is.

Thread Information