Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One former Steelers player you'd like to have on the roster now?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question One former Steelers player you'd like to have on the roster now?

For some reason I was thinking about this the other day, of all the former Steelers that have left to go to other teams or retired, who would you like to have back on the team now. Either as a coach or a player?

I'd love to have Greg Lloyd back as a linebackers assistant. His relentless motor and passion for the game is something anyone could emulate even now. I think he'd be a great motivator for the defense, a good players type coach.

Rod Woodson wins this one in a blowout for me

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Great call on Woodson, I would suspect now that he's with the Raiders their secondary will jump to a new level. I like the Carnell Lake hiring by Tomlin but Woodson would have been a helluva choice too.

I really hated seeing Kevin Green over on the Packers sideline during the Super Bowl last year, just totally rubbed me the wrong way..lol

Another one we might not think of would be Dermontti Dawson. As great as he was at Center he'd be prime addition as an assisant OL coach.

Woodson & Blount in the secondary not as coaches.

I think you are over valuing the coaches Matt. Very seldom is a great player a great coach. More times than not the are average or poor coaches.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

most great players are great because they are freaks in some way or another....troy and ed reed would be terrible coaches, they dont play with fundementals, troy trains like a figure skater, and they freelance and are the most undisciplined players you would ever see, but they are freak athletes and freak instinctive football players.

charlie batch woudl make a hell of a coach, and thats because he HAS to have good fundementals and smarts for him to be effective even in a backup role.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I don't necessarily want them as the main positional coach, more of an assistant. I like how Keith Butler does the linebackers now, and I would imagine Carnell Lake will be a fine secondary coach. I like having former players on the staff as assistant coaches, it gives the players someone to relate too on their level that's played the game recently.

My Mood
    Manic
    Im from the school that says the elite player usually make the worst coaches in the case of troy people always say "you can't teach that " instinct is why this player is great other players make up for lack of instinct with great technique those are the great coaches BTW troy trains with Marinovich sports systems they also train BJ Penn world champion mma fighter this is far from figure skating training

i would like a young fresh legged Alan Fanaca on the team next to pouncey our running game coupled with the quick strike ability of Wallace we would be awesome that's why as much as i like Heyward we should have took sherrod
    Last edited by connecticutsteel; 06-17-2011 at 12:56 PM.

sorry bro, this is how 12 year old gymnasatics teams, hippies, and figure skaters train. its no wonder he gets hurt so much because he doesnt train with the team and pro strength and conditioning coaches....team that with him being undersized and playing like a torpedo=injuries

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post

sorry bro, this is how 12 year old gymnasatics teams, hippies, and figure skaters train. its no wonder he gets hurt so much because he doesnt train with the team and pro strength and conditioning coaches....team that with him being undersized and playing like a torpedo=injuries
    I can understand why Polamalu uses that training (supposedly exceptional for flexibility and explosiveness), but yeah, I would like to see some conventional lifting in there. Some squatting and deadlifting isn't going to kill the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    I can understand why Polamalu uses that training (supposedly exceptional for flexibility and explosiveness), but yeah, I would like to see some conventional lifting in there. Some squatting and deadlifting isn't going to kill the guy.
    im really not knocking the idea behind it, but he also has a vegan diet (i believe) and hasnt lifted weights in a traditional sense since he was a monster at USC. the dude had like over a 400 pound bench and could squat with anyone....him not training with the team and staying in LA being approved to let him do this **** really does bother me though. Working this stuff into your routine is important, but like you said i dont think it would be a bad thing at all to do some traditional weight lifting either.

timmons added 15 pounds of solid muscle and his injury issues were put to rest, im just saying...it does help

regardless though, i wouldnt want troy coaching anyone on my team
    Last edited by K Train; 06-17-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Thread Information