Thread: 2010 Steelers Draft Class, the best in recent history?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

2010 Steelers Draft Class, the best in recent history?

You can make a very good case for the 2010 Steelers draft class as being one of the best draft classes in the modern team era. In terms of the number of players that have contributed to the team from that class, the only comparable class would be 2007 when Lawrence Timmons, Lamarr Woodley, Danny Sepulveda, Will Gay, and Matt Spaeth joined the team.

Maurkice Pouncey: His accomplishments are obvious, the best Center prospect in the league bar none and the future for us.

Jason Worilds: Worilds has some serious pass rush skills and a good prospect waiting in the wings.

Emmanuel Sanders: Made strides all year long and really began to make his mark in the 2nd half of the season and in the post season. He's got a bright future.

Crezdon Butler: Could be one of the best value picks in recent history, along with Antonio Brown. I love Butler's upside especially with the secondary the way it is right now.

Stevenson Sylvester: Lebeau and his coaches are really high on him, he made some significant impacts on special teams and had a really good preseason. Once he breaks the lineup he won't look back.

Antonio Brown: Awesome value pick so late in the draft. This kid has speed to spare and can make the circus catches as well as anyone. He'll be a staple in the offense for years to come.

The thing that jumps out at you about this class is the potential of the players to go along with the success they've already experienced. So many holes were filled with this class it's really pretty impressive when you think about it.

I think it all falls on how good Emmanuel Sanders gets. We all know Pouncey is a stud, but Sanders might have to take over for Hines after this year and I just don't see him being a #2 option right now. I havent seen him gain extra yardage after the catch ala Santonio. He seems to dive at every single pass thrown at him.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think Wallace is the one that is the heir apparent to Santonio Holmes' duties. He's already proven he can take that patented slant pattern pass and run to the house with it. Sanders is still learning, for his first year he did really well. I did see that he dove for a lot of balls this past year but the ability to adjust and catch those on the run is something he can be taught. Some of that too was Ben under duress and having to unload it quickly; not always on target like we would like.

Both Sanders and Brown have the ability to be good possession receivers but still capable of big plays. Their speed and fearless attitude should go a long way. You are right now, nothing is for certain and this coming year is when we should expect to see even bigger things from that duo.

Thread Information