Thread: Will Alan Faneca be a first ballot Hall of Famer?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Manic

Will Alan Faneca be a first ballot Hall of Famer?

I think he gets in but not on the first ballot

My Mood
    Cool
    Off the top of my head, his class isn't too tough yet, but it'll depend on who gets in between now and then to be honest.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The further we go along the better chance the people that haven't gotten in yet that should, will have of finally getting their due recognition. By the time Faneca is eligible he could have a chance of being a first ballot candidate. However knowing how the voters work, unless you are a mega super star they won't consider you for first ballot just on principle.

Faneca should make it in, he was one of the best lineman of his era. Consistently performing year in and year out. I don't know if he's first ballot material but if he makes it first year I'll be happy for him.

I don't think he'll get in the HOF for a while. We've got lots of other offensive linemen coming up that would go before him probably. Will Shields still needs to go in ahead of him and so will Larry Allen at his position. I'm also pretty confident that Kevin Mawae should go ahead of him despite having less post-season success because of his involvement with the NFLPA. Dermontti Dawson will be competing with him and the other eligible players. Then hes basically competing with Hutchinson who hasn't even retired yet and they were 1A and 1B of their generation, but hutch played with walter jones. I think the fact that the only other 1st ballot guy he'll be up with is Favre will probably help Faneca. It really depends on what kind of backlog there is on offensive linemen. Shields, Ogden, Jones, Allen, Mawae, Dawson and Roaf are all coming up or are already eligible.

There are a lot of other big time guys coming up that aren't eligible yet either like Strahan, Sapp, Brooks, Harrison & Seau that probably all go in ahead of him. Also, just to let everyone know, wikipedia is wrong that he was a 9 time all-pro. He was 6 times 1st team and 2 times 2nd team.

If he doesn't get in quickly hes going to start competing with Ray Lewis, Tom Brady, Orlando Pace, Peyton Manning, Ladainian Tomlinson, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Tony Gonzalez, Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey, Ed Reed. Then there are guys that we aren't sure about, but the HOF voters might feel differently about now or within a year or two like Brian Dawkins, Brian Urlacher, James Harrison, Ronde Barber, Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, Tiki Barber, Curtis Martin, Jerome Bettis, Cris Carter, Andre Reed, Isaac Bruce, Tim Brown, John Lynch, etc. (not half of this second tier of guys I don't really think is all that great but are guys that will in all likelihood make it into the list of nominees before it gets hacked to bits)

I think Faneca makes Canton eventually but he'll have to wait a while with the backlog, especially on the OL. The last interior linemen to make it first ballot was the legendary John Hannah in 1991. Bruce Matthews was also 1st ballot but he played tackle as well for the Oilers/Titans. Larry Allen has a great chance to make it first time in 2013 but lets be brutally honest, as good as Faneca was he is not in that class.

The list of 1st year eligibles:
    2012 - Bill Parcells, Will Shields.
    2013 - Jon Ogden, Michael Strahan, Warren Sapp, Larry Allen, Morten Andersen, John Lynch.
    2014 - Derrick Brooks, Marvin Harrison, Zach Thomas, Tony Dungy.
    2015 - Junior Seau, Kurt Warner, Walter Jones, Isaac Bruce, Orlando Pace, Torry Holt, Kevin Mawae, Edgerrin James.
    2016 - Brett Favre, Alan Faneca.

The current backlog:
    Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Andre Reed, Willie Roaf, Dermontti Dawson, Cortez Kennedy, Charles Haley, Chris Doleman, Kevin Greene, Jerome Bettis, Curtis Martin, Steve Atwater, Aeneas Williams.

Close to retirement - (some closer than others):
    Ray Lewis, L.Tomlinson, Steve Hutchinson, Brian Dawkins, Adam Vinatieri, Tony Gonzalez, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Jason Taylor, Ed Reed, Ronde Barber, Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, Darren Sharper.

By 2016 I would expect Roaf, Dawson, Ogden, Allen, Jones to all be comfortably enshrined. That would leave Shields (I think he gets overtaken by the 5 OL greats mentioned previously), Mawae and Pace as Faneca's OL competition for Canton not to mention Steve Hutchinson further down the line and all the other greats from the other positions. Any talk of 1st ballot for Faneca is extremely optimistic to say the least.
    Last edited by K Train; 05-23-2011 at 09:53 AM.

My Mood
    Smokin
    i hope he makes it in

Thanks for the sig Flea

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Excellent stuff Ktrain! I agree he is a HoF'er but I also think he'll have to wait a few years. Some pretty awesome competition. Question: Will Ray-Ray go in right next to OJ?

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Duke of 531
    He will probably get in at some point i would say at least 10 to 15 year wait...offensive lineman get little respect and if there was any o-line man who should have been a 1st ballot guy it should have been dermontti dawson and i believe he nearing his 5th or 6th year of eligibility....

My Mood
    Fight
    Quote Originally Posted by airbrake 1 View Post
    He will probably get in at some point i would say at least 10 to 15 year wait...offensive lineman get little respect and if there was any o-line man who should have been a 1st ballot guy it should have been dermontti dawson and i believe he nearing his 5th or 6th year of eligibility....
    What he said, no way faneca gets it before dawson and if he does there has to be something fishy going on
    "Without ME, it's just AWESO"
    and
    "To all the virgins, thanks for nothing"

If Dawson isn't a 1st ballot HOF'er than Faneca isn't

Alan Faneca was very good but I don't think of him as a Hall of famer. Dermonti Dawson is still not in!

Thread Information