Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers helmet voted #1

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Exclamation Pittsburgh Steelers helmet voted #1

Link here

As we continue our Power Rankings series, it’s time to look beyond the player and examine what’s wrapped around his head.

Ranking the Helmets

1. Pittsburgh Steelers 2. Indianapolis Colts
    3. Oakland Raiders 4. Green Bay Packers
    5. San Diego Chargers 6. Dallas Cowboys
    7. Minnesota Vikings 8. Cleveland Browns
    9. Chicago Bears 10. Miami Dolphins

Let’s blow the lid off this NFL helmet caper, shall we?

The NFL helmet has long been an obsession. Whether it’s the unmistakable star of the Dallas Cowboys, the beyond-the-gridiron meaning in Pittsburgh or the great helmet–change fiasco in San Francisco in the early 1990s, the NFL has been all about the helmet. After all, in football, we don’t look at faces, we look at logos.

Come on, who hasn’t spent a Saturday afternoon feeding countless quarters into a gumball machine full of worthless plastic all in the name of getting a complete set of NFL helmets?

So, we put our artistic eyes together (with the courtesy of professional help) and came up with our top 10 NFL helmets. Consensus? No, not even close. In a 2011 Power Rankings record, 26 lids collected votes. Eye of the beholder, folks.

Interestingly, two of the six teams that got no lid love received kudos from our guest judge. I’d take her word over mine. You should see what I’m wearing right now. Think John Belushi in "Animal House." Then take it down a few notches.

We’ve had our battles this spring when it came to ranking players, coaches and owners, but this task has to be the most subjective of all. It’s vanilla or chocolate. Or, in this case, purple or red.

Still, there were several helmets -- traditional teams seemed to catch the imagination -- that received more votes than others.

Fittingly, the winning helmet is of a team that has been scoring big during this entire series: the Pittsburgh Steelers. The black helmet received 50 voting points, cruising to an easy win. Second-place Indianapolis, and its famous horseshoe, received 41 points.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 05-18-2011 at 03:13 PM.

My Mood
    Manic
    Sweet Dallas is sixth the Steelers are really America's team.Just another step towards world domination.Hmmmmm.... i wonder if Hines will put the mirror ball in the case with the six Lombardi's

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Browns have the worlds most boring, dumb, and plain jain lid on the planet. I would vote that most likely to be used as a boat anchor.

I've always thought the Dolphins helmet was pretty slick though.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    We know we are America's team. But let the Deadcows of Dallas THINK they are. After all, when you have that joke of an owner, they've got to have something to hold on to when they sleep at night. hahaha
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Manic
    The thing is he's a rich joke

Wow, Did not see that one coming. Sure, Steelers helm is pretty cool an def. in top 5, but I never thought it would be voted one. Personally, and I am ashamed if it, I really like Bengals helmet. Dolphins is pretty awesome as well.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    The thing is he's a rich joke
    Jones = rich joke

excellent point dallas cryboys "America's Team" not no. 1???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LOVE IT
    Oakland, Where Careers Go To Die!!!!!

http://myxilplik.mybrute.com

http://tironne.mybrute.com

My Mood
    Smokin
    That is awesome!!! I cant believe the browns would be in the top 10..and above the dolphins

Thanks for the sig Flea

I used to think the Brown's lids were just hideous, but compared to the purple nonsense the Ravens wear, it's now classy. The Raven's lids and unis are just the worse. Stupid colors, stupid graphics, when they wear all black they look like the classless thugs that they are, and make the Browns look classy and traditional. Funny thing is that Raven's fans know this, but have no say in the matter.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The only reason the Browns came in top 10 is because, like the Steelers, they are traditionalists. They stick to what they've been doing since they got in the league; any changes made to the uniform are subtle. People respect that, and I can too. I just don't have to like them and I think it's the most boring, fugly, color combination ever. Comon, Orange and Brown, really?

I do agree that any city and any team that thinks that purple is a manly, tough, color that looks good on football uniforms, is a few fries short of a happy meal.

Thread Information