Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers draft picks 2011 - who makes an impact?

Bookmark and Share

Steelers draft picks 2011 - who makes an impact?

Which players do you think will make the roster and help the steelers this year ? Which players do you think will not play among the players drafted ?

I'll give my opinion later .

Heyward - Rookie year of DE backup and rotation, will play more the second half of the year espeically if injuries take their toll on the old guys again. Long term replacement for aaron smith, a legit richard seymour clone

Gilbert- Rookie year rotation with flo at RT, possibly starting RG but likely to get reps at RT if flo gets nicked up or needs to sit a series or two. Long term future at LT or RT, hopefully a replacement for tony hills, trai essex, and jonathan scott.

Brown- Rookie year NB role, has the quickness to cover smaller slot WRs and can get used to the pro game as a nickel or dime back...hopefully gets a lot of playing time, espically if gay moves on in mcfadden gets banged up again. Long term hes a starter outside at CB

Cortez Allen- Rookie year IF he makes the roster will likely come as a gunner on ST and a likely replacement for anthony madison. Not much immediate potential as a DB.

Chris Carter - Probably a ST standout as well as a backup to james harrison, allowing timmons to not have to worry about a potential kick outside if harrison gets banged up. Likely to be the harrison backup while worilds is the woodley backup, should have kept gibson.

Keith Williams - Backup at G and thats probably it...will really have to fight colon, foster, gilbert, and legs for any chance.

Baron Batch - i think he makes the roster of moore this year as the 3rd down back, he has to show he can block though at his small size

My Mood
    Manic
    once again k train is on the mark but im hoping allen develops faster than expected and is a nickel guy in 2012

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's an interesting scenario for Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen. I think Allen will make the roster, mainly for his special teams play and then eventually work into the defensive rotation. Brown has a chance to win a starting job but it all hinges on what they do with Gay and McFadden. I don't think the Steelers will keep both of them heading into 2011.

i think brown is gonna play his way onto the field early...im so excited about him, been doing a lot of extra close watching him play and hes pretty brilliant in coverage and is good in man which is something we dont have in a DB really. lebeau could do interesting things with him as a rookie

My Mood
    Impatient
    I think Allen will develop into a good DB now that we have a DB coach. I never liked Horton and thought he was the weakest of all the defensive coaches. After seeing what Lake did at UCLA, I am thinking a smart kid with a lot of disciple and athletic skills could be what the future of this secondary needs. Anyway, I think Brown, Heyward and Gilbert will all make solid contributions this year, maybe not as starters, but will see good playing time and give us some solid snaps.

My Mood
    Fine
    They should all make the roster. The only one who might goto practice squad is Keith Williams. They won't risk any of the others. Gilbert should be our starting Guard unless Starks comes back way out of shape.

I think Heyward has the biggest impact as a rookie. I think he'll see the field more than any of the other picks. I think Chris Carter will be the odd man out on this draft.
    Have Terrible Towel, Will Travel.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    I agree with K Train on the 1st 3 picks, but disagree and the opinion for DB Allen
    He will make the roster and be a solid NB in 2 years if McFadden is healthy ( and can stay healthy) But he won't stay after his contract is up @ the end of next year
    I don't know what will Pitt do with Gay in a year or 2

Heyward - Rookie year of DE backup and rotation, will play more the second half of the year espeically if injuries take their toll on the old guys again. Long term replacement for aaron smith, a legit richard seymour clone

Gilbert- Rookie year rotation with flo at RT, possibly starting RG but likely to get reps at RT if flo gets nicked up or needs to sit a series or two. Long term future at LT or RT, hopefully a replacement for tony hills, trai essex, and jonathan scott.

Brown- Rookie year NB role, has the quickness to cover smaller slot WRs and can get used to the pro game as a nickel or dime back...hopefully gets a lot of playing time, espically if gay moves on in mcfadden gets banged up again. Long term hes a starter outside at CB

Carter: will learn from the bench for a year or 2 and contribute in spot duty

Williams : MIGHT make the team as a backup...

Batch: 3rd down back if he can block I was hoping RB Noel Devine would been drafted or picked up as a FA
    Oakland, Where Careers Go To Die!!!!!

http://myxilplik.mybrute.com

http://tironne.mybrute.com

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Heyward and Brown have the best chance to make a significant impact in 2011 I would think. Probably Heyward alittle more because of the uncertainty of Aaron Smith. However with the way the secondary is right now it's not out of the question that Curtis Brown could be starting by mid season.

Thread Information