Thread: Pride of a Pittsburgh Steelers fan

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Pride of a Pittsburgh Steelers fan

For some reason today I was compelled to start writing, I guess I can thank the NFL Network for showing a few of the great "America's Game" series this afternoon. Today they showed several stories on our Pittsburgh Steelers. The teams of the 70's, the Super Bowl XL and XLIII teams as well. I gotta say first off, that when NFL films puts that epic music to the highlights, it's all I can do to not grab my Terrible Towel and start waving it right in my living room even now in the offseason. I get chills when I hear that music. To watch these guys play and talk so passionately about their experiences is wonderful. When you listen to guys like Mean Joe Green, L.C. Greenwood, Mike Wagner, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, and Jack Lambert you just can't help but swell up with pride in being a Steeler fan. Not only did they talk highly of each other and the Steelers organization as a whole, but also the fans too. They know how much the Steelers mean to us; it's part of persona that they dawn when they become a Steeler.

Just to touch on the players of the 70's for a minute. The pride that all of these guys exuded when they talked about their teammates and the atmosphere of comradery they felt for one another was just amazing. One message that was clear virtually every time they spoke was the fact that, you don't intimidate the Pittsburgh Steelers, period! These guys would rally around a cause like you wouldn't believe. All it took was one opponent to shoot their mouth off the week before a game, or one set of events unfold in a game and these guys would take that and run with it. There was a sense of pride that you were not going to outdo them on the field. Even if they lost, you would come away hurt and beat down forever remembering who you played that week. Each and every player took it upon themselves to do their part and when necessary pick up the slack for a downed teammate. One thing that I believe L.C. said was that, if you couldn't pick up the slack for a teammate that wasn't 100% then you didn't deserve to be on the field. That speaks volumes for the way that these guys felt for one another. That attitude carried them to 4 Super Bowl victories in the glorious dynasty era of the 1970's. Being a Steeler meant that above all else, you were never going to "out tough" the Black 'n Gold. Teams like Dallas, who tried to finesse their way to Super Bowl wins could never get past the Steelers. They always carried the mentality that pure, brute, force was going to prevail on gameday.

We as fans feel a great sense of pride in being part of the Steeler family too. Oh, we may not have been on the field and 99% of us will never know what that feels like but we are all part of the Steelers just the same. There is no team in all of professional sports that exemplifies it's hometown better than the Steelers. Each week these players take the field with the hopes and dreams of the millions of Steelers fans all over the world. It's not something they take lightly and not something the fans take lightly either. It's more than just buying jersey's, t-shirts, hats, and tailgating. It's about being a part of something bigger than yourself. No matter whether you tune in at a bar, your living room, or you are there at the game; being a Steeler fan knows no boundaries. It's a feeling that no matter where you go, you see a fellow fan wearing a Steelers shirt and instantly feeling a kinship to them. You walk into a bar and see Black n' Gold fans and you instantly get a smile on your face, high fiving complete strangers because of your devotion to the same team. We're all different people on this planet, but the bonds of being a fan of Pittsburgh unite us all for a common cause. To cheer for a team that believes in integrity, hard work, discipline, and core values. A team that won't stray from it's morals in the face of adversity and takes responsibility for it's actions each and every week. The Rooney's have built an organization that is a mirror of what they believe in, a franchise and business that is known the world over as one of the very best.

As fans, we can relate to the Steelers in so many ways, and that's what makes it so special. The players know how important the fans are, the owners realize it too. Sure they may not always do what we think is best but they appreciate and support us 100% nonetheless by putting out a winning team every season, capable of being successful all the way to the championship. We can be proud of our football hero's, they are us and we are them. From the owners, to the players, to the memorable Myron Cope. Guys like Craig Wolfley, Tunch Ilkin, who are united to this day because of the Steelers. Players from days gone by to the newest draft picks just entering the family. We are all Steelers, and that's something we can be proud of.

Great post, the thing that is intresting to me is how unselfish this team was,absolute team concept.Players would rather talk about another guy that would make a great block, or take on a double team, than brag about themselves.(Imagine T.O and Chad today !!)
    That was the glue that bonded that team and the city into Steelermania.Brings a tear to my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbucket View Post
    Great post, the thing that is intresting to me is how unselfish this team was,absolute team concept.Players would rather talk about another guy that would make a great block, or take on a double team, than brag about themselves.(Imagine T.O and Chad today !!)
    That was the glue that bonded that team and the city into Steelermania.Brings a tear to my eye.
    The whole team concept it was separates the great teams from the very good teams. I was listening to an interview with Rex Ryan on the radio last week. He said something I found very interesting and what could be useful for anyone managing people. He said he understands that the media has a job to do and his players and coaches are to embrace that. He only has one rule for them, when they are being interviewed they must mention something good about at least one other player or coach. The thought behind it is everyone likes to hear good things said about them and it really builds team work. My guess is Art Rooney did the same thing naturally and it just worked it's way down through the organization. It's much more difficult to do it with todays players.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

I agree with your thread Matt. Now if Roger Goddell and company can get with it and realize that there won't be football without us fans we will be better off!
    Mr. Comissioner, feel free to resoak those kerosene rags around your ankles for the 2011-2012 season. After the lockout the ants are angry as hell and more inclined to eat your candy ***! Thanks! --75Steeler

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It really is amazing just to listen to those talk, they spoke so highly of each other and of Coach Noll. Back then it wasn't about endorsement deals or big money contracts because there was virtuall none of that even in existance. They took pride in their team, their teammates, and their cause. Steeler fans all over the world can be proud that we support and follow such a rich tradition.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Really well done here Matt. I struggle almost daily with the fact that we really won't ever see a team like those guys ever again and I don't mean their talent. I mean their selfless, team-oriented attitudes which are sorely missing from today's world.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelDad View Post
    Really well done here Matt. I struggle almost daily with the fact that we really won't ever see a team like those guys ever again and I don't mean their talent. I mean their selfless, team-oriented attitudes which are sorely missing from today's world.
    I agree!! Great read Matt!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That's a great point Marc and a big reason that I am so proud to be a Steeler fan. Today's teams are still a great reflection on the Rooney's and what they stand for but those teams of the 1970's were even more so. The selflessness they exuded week in and week out and their attitude towards the game and each other isn't matched anywhere in history and won't be ever again.

Thread Information