Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alan Faneca retires after 13 years in the NFL

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Alan Faneca retires after 13 years in the NFL

From NFL.com

Arizona Cardinals guard Alan Faneca announced his retirement Tuesday, ending a 13-year career that began with the Pittsburgh Steelers and included the New York Jets and one season with the Cardinals.

The nine-time Pro Bowler has proven to be one of the more durable linemen in recent history, missing just two games since he was drafted 26th overall by the Steelers in 1998. Faneca won a Super Bowl with the Steelers following the 2006 season.

"After a lot of thought I am announcing my retirement from professional football," the 34-year-old Faneca said in a statement obtained by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "Playing in the NFL has been a childhood dream come true. Thirteen years later I have decided that it is time to move on.

"I want to specifically thank the Steelers, Jets, and Cardinals. Each and every teammate, coach and front office employee has made a lasting impact on my life. It was a pleasure playing for first class organizations who surrounded me with incredibly dedicated individuals. I want to thank each of the beat writers that covered me throughout my career. These guys work hard and always treated me with respect. I want to also thank the fans. The roar of the crowd kept me going more than the fans will ever know.

"It is time to move on to the next chapter in my life. I can't wait to spend more time with my family. Playing in this league for as long as I did takes sacrifice, not only by me, but by each of them. I want to thank Julie, Annabelle and Burton for allowing me to fulfill all of my boyhood dreams. I couldn't have done it without you."
    Faneca, the Steelers' first-round draft pick out of LSU in 1998, played in 206 NFL games. His string of 144 consecutive starts was the longest active streak for a guard and third longest for any offensive lineman, behind Kansas City center Casey Wiegmann (158) and Detroit tackle Jeff Backus (159).

"Alan has always been and always will be the ultimate pro," Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said in December. "He's a very good leader, he's a hard worker, he's very professional about what he does. The guys gravitate toward him. You can't have enough of those guys on your team."
    Faneca was one of the top Steelers lineman in the last 2 decades, his presence at Guard helped solidify the line during his entire stay. He may have spent his last few years with other teams but he made his name in Pittsburgh.

My Mood
    Cool
    Alan Faneca was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers with the 26th pick in the first round of the 1998 NFL Draft, in a draft that saw Peyton Manning go number one overall to the Indianapolis Colts, the Steelers found a long term starter during the back end of round one.
    Steelers Chronicle

much respect to the man for what he did here. crazy how long it seems he was here and now his career includes 3 different teams

I wish we could of kept him here to retire a Steeler!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Manic
    I think if he goes to the hall of fame he will go in a Steeler

My Mood
    Sunshine
    I have no respect for the man what so ever. When the Steelers made him the highest paid lineman in the NFL he quietly accepted his money , when his talent declined and they didn't cave to his demands he had a different approach, he whined to the press and called the organization cheap and the FO liars.

He then went on to cry about the Steelers not hiring his buddies to be head coach and cried about the blocking scheme. He made two pro bowls after leaving Pittsburgh but you best believe they were made on name recognition and not ability. JMO

As a player he was one of the best ,as a team player not so much. I don' fault a player for going after the big money but I do fault them for the manner in which the attempt to achieve their goal.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Quote Originally Posted by jpele View Post
    I have no respect for the man what so ever. When the Steelers made him the highest paid lineman in the NFL he quietly accepted his money , when his talent declined and they didn't cave to his demands he had a different approach, he whined to the press and called the organization cheap and the FO liars.

He then went on to cry about the Steelers not hiring his buddies to be head coach and cried about the blocking scheme. He made two pro bowls after leaving Pittsburgh but you best believe they were made on name recognition and not ability. JMO

As a player he was one of the best ,as a team player not so much. I don' fault a player for going after the big money but I do fault them for the manner in which the attempt to achieve their goal.
    little harsh, he felt disrespected being they signed starks to a big deal and let his deal expire....and since the market for him was pretty high at the time its understandable that you would feel disrespected when an inferior player on your team gets paid big and theres a big market out there to dump a boat load of money for your services but your own team wont pay it.

letting him walk was a good thing, he was a sharp decline when he played with the jets and playing with the cards was just going through the motions...but dont blame him for being upset when his "buddies" werent hired....first of all its not like they werent qualified for the job, second cowher was the one to instill that kind of attitude between coaches and players. everyone knows who "cowhers guys" were and faneca was one of them...it was the same with the rest of the coaching staff. so blame cowher for that kind of behavior, he created that atmosphere

All I know after watching Steeler Football for 40+ years is, he was the best at his position in his prime IMHO.Good Luck Alan in what ever you do.
    Last edited by Lunchbucket; 05-11-2011 at 09:51 AM.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Faneca is a grown man and responsible for his actions.....He was a damn good OG for the Steelers no doubt especially for Cowher's power running game offense...I have mixed feelings on Faneca........He did seem to get butt hurt very easy....lol

My Mood
    Addicted
    Thanks for the great years Faneca, but you're a money hogging bitch and I don't want people like that representing the Steelers in the first place. Peace son.

Thread Information