Thread: Trade speculation 6 Steelers on the block

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Manic

Trade speculation 6 Steelers on the block

There is speculation that 6 steelers could be on the trading block William Gay, Byron Leftwich,Jonathan Dwyer,Aaronn Smith,Larry Foote ,Antwann Randle El ,i doubt smith will be traded but i guess crazier things have happened maybe we could trade all 6 players to arizona for pat peterson lol this article is on the bleacher report i guess they have nothing to write about so they dream this stuff up
    Last edited by connecticutsteel; 05-10-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    there is speculation that 6 steelers could be on the trading block William Gay, Byron Leftwich,Jonathan Dwyer,Aaronn Smith,Larry Foote ,Antwann Randle El ,i doubt smith will be traded but i guess crazier things have happened maybe we could trade all 6 players to arizona for pat peterson lol this article is on the bleacher report i guess they have nothing to write about so they dream this stuff up
    William Gay - I think this team is set with Gatorade containers and towels, so I doubt he'll be traded.

Byron Leftwich - I don't think the team will try hard to bring back Dixon, so I'm not sure they'll sacrifice a serviceable backup for anything.

Jonathan Dwyer - He hasn't done anything, so he would not bring anything in return.

Aaron Smith - I would be surprised by this move because Smith is still an asset for this team. Based on recent injuries, I don't think he would bring much in return.

Larry Foote - An aging middle linebacker. He'd be mainly a backup, maybe a starter on a bottom tier team. Based on his last few seasons, I doubt he would bring much in return.

ARE - I could see the team getting maybe a little in return for him, but not anything more than a very late round pick. Chances are he'll just be cut prior to the season.

If AZ wanted to trade Peterson for all of them, I wouldn't say no. That said, I don't think that any team in this league would be dumb enough to do that trade.

My Mood
    Manic
    i was kiddig about peterson

it would be awesome if we could get a first for smith like the pats did for seymour....bastards

Only two on the list I'd be willing to trade a pack of chewing gum for...

Dwyer will have his chance to earn a spot on this team...

AS, is one torn muscle from calling it quits!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Do you have a link for this information? Right now it's all speculation because until the CBA gets worked out nobody can go anywhere. Once that happens it's widely assumed that there will be a "grace period" for teams to try and sign their players before they hit the actual market. If they don't though it will be a mad scramble for teams to sign unrestricted rookie free agents, their own free agents, and other teams players.

As far as our guys go, the Steelers won't trade Aaron Smith, they will just restructure his contract. Smith is a Lebeau kind of guy, they'll keep him around for another year so Heyward can get some experience and then probably release him in 2012, atleast that's my guess.

Gay's job is on the line especially now that the Steelers brought in Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen. Throw the potential of Crezdon Butler, along with Anthony Madison and Kennan Lewis and Bryant McFadden; you can see the secondary is going to be an every man for himself scenario for 2011. Assuming Ike Taylor is resigned, the Steelers won't keep all those cornerbacks on the roster. I could see a secondary of:

Ike Taylor
    Curtis Brown
    Crezdon Butler
    William Gay
    Cortez Allen - mainly special teams to start out I would think.
    Don't count out McFadden because when he's healthy he's good but he was not healthy most of last year and he struggled.

Randle El most likely won't return. The Steelers are stacked at WR now. Both Sanders and Brown have proven they are ready to step up and carry a bigger load at WR.

Larry Foote still has a role on this team. He's a veteran linebacker that can play ST. He can step in at MLB in a heartbeat and play well. He'll be back.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If they could trade Gay they would probably really consider it, but I have a feeling he'll be back. Just a gut feeling...

If Leftwich wants to return I would say keep him around and let Dixon walk. I'd take just about anything for him.

Jonathan Dwyer: They wouldn't get anything in trade value for him but I think he'll get a shot to return. He's a different style back than Baron Batch, who will have to fight for a roster spot.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 05-10-2011 at 02:51 PM.

My Mood
    Manic
    i linked the article on the original post

Rookie Free Agent Mr. Goosemahn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    There is speculation that 6 steelers could be on the trading block William Gay, Byron Leftwich,Jonathan Dwyer,Aaronn Smith,Larry Foote ,Antwann Randle El ,i doubt smith will be traded but i guess crazier things have happened maybe we could trade all 6 players to arizona for pat peterson lol this article is on the bleacher report i guess they have nothing to write about so they dream this stuff up
    Bingo!

Everytime I see an article about the Steelers saying something interesting I get a little excited, then I click it and Bleacher Report opens up and I'm all:

Anyways, that's an absolutely terrible list of "tradeable" players. Other than Smith, no other player is worth anything. At all. This isn't Madden, teams value their picks much more than other teams' backups.

William Gay is our nickel corner, and he's worse than McFadden. We traded a fifth for McFadden, meaning that, best case scenario, we get a fifth in return for Gay. Teams probably are much more inclined to sign a free agent for cheaper or just develop a player on their roster.

Byron Leftwich is a solid backup QB, that's it. He's old, immobile, and isn't a good fit for most teams. Plus, we got him for a seventh rounder. I'd rather keep him than get a seventh rounder.

Jonathan Dwyer has done absolutely nothing as a Steeler, he is worth nothing in a trade.

Aaron Smith is very old and has recurring injuries. The Patriots got a first for Seymour, but he wasn't 35.

Larry Foote is a fringe starter on 4-3 teams and a solid player for 3-4 teams, but again, old and worth nothing more than maybe a 5th or 6th.

ARE has no value to other teams, really. Old, and isn't a deep threat, possession receiver, or anything else. Just a good character guy who's got some emotional value for Steeler fans.

This list looks like the writer just took a glance at the Steelers roster, saw which positions had an excess amount of players, and chose one to be a "trade asset." In all honestly, the Steelers don't have a good amount of tradeable players. Dixon is much more likely to be traded than Leftwich, but again, little to no value. The team is better off keeping him than getting a 5th or 6th round pick.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    I honestly see very little trade value for any of those guys. Maybe Dwyer for a 6th or 7th and maybe Gay for a 5th, but I just don't see anything happening.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Thread Information