Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rashard Mendenhall's twitter comments cost him endorsement deal

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Rashard Mendenhall's twitter comments cost him endorsement deal

Mendenhall's tweets cost him endorsement deal with Champion:

Rashard Mendenhall's candid tweets about Osama bin Laden's death and the 9/11 terror attacks cost him an endorsement deal.

Vic Carucci says Rashard Mendenhall has become an example of the risks that social media can present to outspoken pro athletes.

Athletic apparel manufacturer Champion announced Thursday that it had dropped the Pittsburgh Steelers running back after he questioned the celebrations of bid Laden's death and expressed his uncertainty over official accounts of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks in New York, suburban Washington and Pennsylvania.

Spokesman Matt Hall told USA Today that the company was "ending our business relationship" with Mendenhall because it didn't believe he "can appropriately represent Champion." Mendenhall had endorsed the company since 2008 and signed a four-year contract with it earlier this year.

Mendenhall responded Monday on Twitter to the joy greeting last weekend's announcement that a U.S. military team had killed bin Laden in a Pakistani mansion. He first tweeted, "What kind of person celebrates death? It's amazing how people can HATE and man they have never even heard speak. We've only heard one side...," and followed with tweets questioning what really happened -- "I just have a hard time believing a plan could take a skyscraper down demolition style" -- and encouraging his followers on the social platform to "think."

A firestorm of controversy erupted around Mendenhall, who on Wednesday clarified and apologized for the tweets.

That didn't stop Mendenhall from losing his endorsement deal with Champion, which released this statement:

"Champion is a strong supporter of the government's efforts to fight terrorism and is very appreciative of the dedication and commitment of the U.S. Armed Forces. Earlier this week, Rashard Mendenhall, who endorses Champion products, expressed personal comments and opinions regarding Osama bin Laden and the September 11 terrorist attacks that were inconsistent with the values of the Champion brand and with which we strongly disagreed. In light of these comments, Champion was obliged to conduct a business assessment to determine whether Mr. Mendenhall could continue to effectively communicate on behalf of and represent Champion with consumers. While we respect Mr. Mendenhall's right to express sincere thoughts regarding potentially controversial topics, we no longer believe that Mr. Mendenhall can appropriately represent Champion and we have notified Mr. Mendenhall that we are ending our business relationship. Champion has appreciated its association with Mr. Mendenhall during his early professional football career and found him to be a dedicated and conscientious young athlete. We sincerely wish him all the best."

Twitter costing him major $$$....lol
    "Happy Happy Happy"

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Understandable. Stupid, but in this day and age, understandable.

We sincerely wish him all the best."
    Translation.. Good luck dumbass!

Not surprising at all.

"I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style" -- and encouraging his followers on the social platform to "think."
    Did he ever address this comment in his response? I think in his first interview the reporter should ask him.

"What do you think caused the towers to fall Rashard?"
    Last edited by LarryNJ; 05-06-2011 at 09:35 AM.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    Retard Rashard. That was a real stupid move dog. Soon to be EX steeler. Well, maybe not so soon?
    Last edited by RIVERS OF STEEL; 05-06-2011 at 04:33 PM.

And their fans.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Some of Ben's endorsement deals were cancelled as well when he went through his troubles last season. Just goes to show how careful you have to be when you're in the spotlight because nowadays there is virtually nothing that goes unnoticed in the lives of high profile players.

The Steelers won't trade or release Rashard, let's just squash that rumor. I saw another site asking the same thing to their readers as well. If the Rooney's can put up with what Ben did and stick by him, they'll hang with Mendenhall as well. He made his clarifications, said his peace, it's over now.

Well, that is the cost of stupidity. Yeah, there's free speech, but he has to recognize the fact that he is a high profile individual and people will take note of anything that he says that could be a perceived as controversial.

champion? lol

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    champion? lol
    Don't laugh it was a big 4 figure deal he lost!
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by RIVERS OF STEEL View Post
    Retard Rashard. That was a real stupid move dog. Soon to be EX steeler.

Thread Information