Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grading the Steelers 2011 draft

Bookmark and Share
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    thats because max starks is soft, not soft as in weak, soft as in hes not mean or aggressive and is just a 350 pound teddy bear. gilbert is not like that
    My point is though despite Max not being the most aggressive OT in the NFL this team still has won two Super Bowls with him starting....RT in 2005 and LT in 2008.......In conclusion an OL being labeled soft isn't the kiss of the death for their NFL career.....So I'm not worried about Gilbert being labeled soft.....

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    My point is though despite Max not being the most aggressive OT in the NFL this team still has won two Super Bowls with him starting....RT in 2005 and LT in 2008.......In conclusion an OL being labeled soft isn't the kiss of the death for their NFL career.....
    oh i got ya....yeah starks was soft (especially for a run blocking RT) but hes definitely gotten better over the years. he was a 3rd round pick because of that label.

i think gilbert was a 2nd round pick because of the pounceys overshadowing him his career...they were big time the second they walked into the swamp, gilbert could have easily been a first round pick if james carpenter, derek sherrod and nate solder were

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    oh i got ya....yeah starks was soft (especially for a run blocking RT) but hes definitely gotten better over the years. he was a 3rd round pick because of that label.

i think gilbert was a 2nd round pick because of the pounceys overshadowing him his career...they were big time the second they walked into the swamp, gilbert could have easily been a first round pick if james carpenter, derek sherrod and nate solder were
    I really like Gilbert and I have read people say he is a better version of Max Starks.....Which I would be very happy with.....I know I'm critical of Starks myself but Starks is a solid NFL OT and much better suited at LT then RT......

I liked Sherrod I'm not going to lie.....But Carpenter and Solder=blah.....lol So I agree Gilbert was very nice value especially the three guys you pointed out all went in the first.......Not much separating these four OT's in my opinion.....

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I really like Gilbert and I have read people say he is a better version of Max Starks....

I read a few different scouting reports. One said that he's big and strong but has small arms, while another said he uses his long arms to help block. Got a kick out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    I read a few different scouting reports. One said that he's big and strong but has small arms, while another said he uses his long arms to help block. Got a kick out of that.
    Thats the same thing someone else said but I see nothing short about his arms .
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I think the draft was a solid B. The linemen selection were top notch. The CB selection were great for where they were selected but I thought Marcus Cotton was worthy of being taken in the 4 round instead of the CB we took. Adding the RB Batch late was a nice gamble if he can be explosive after catching the ball on 3rd downs.

What I also like is that based on what we drafted, it leaves open a chance that we are players for Ashumuga. I'm hoping like hell we make a play for him and he sees the logic into coming to us for a chance at a ring.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Solid A
    1st day was incredible, liked all three picks and I liked the Gilbert pick most of all. I think it's time we inject someone who actually has a skill set for pass protection into our system.

After that, round 4-7 I really don't know nor care. For me, the bang for buck was within the first three rounds, getting the best of what was avl, within need and without reaching.

Mission accomplished. Now, like any draft prospects no matter how well researched, let's hope they pan out for years to come. Time will tell.

Thread Information