Thread: Marcus Gilbert: Outlook and Expectations

Bookmark and Share

Marcus Gilbert: Outlook and Expectations

Marcus Gilbert selected by the steelers in the second round provides many things...takes care of a huge need with the oline, is a quality value, and adds chemistry to the line with the gator conenction we have with former team mates now.

Gilbert is a massive man at 6-6 330, but for a man that size he shows incredible quickness, agility, and pass protecting skills. Not the most powerful tackle but he does a great job of sealing the edge and while not a domination run blocker it is not for a lack of effort.

With his nimble feet he will likely be groomed as a future LT, but i would expect him to mean the end of tony hills, possibly trai essex right away. With flo returning it will give gilbert a chance to get stronger and play with flo at RT on a rotational basis since flo often gets banged up or needs to be spelled for a series or two. Hopefully this does happen and he can get his feet wet as a rookie playing RT part time.

Hopefully he will work his way up to being the backup at LT as a rookie because jonathan scott is truly terrible. All in all i love the pick and the value. Not gonna lie i was rooting for brown HARD when they were on the clock...but i was not disappointed with this pick who i have had on my radar for months now as a potential steeler target. Taking him made as much sense as taking curtis brown, and i really like how that turned out.

Just really made me happy following up Heyward with a second rounder that i really feel will be worth a damn on the steelers in the very near future. Really i see him as being everything i hoped hills was gonna be

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    The OT class was very weak this year but Gilbert was one of the few that I liked.....Do you see him playing at OG at all this year?........Kugler was quoted in saying Gilbert has the ability to pull and can play 4 spots along the OL...........

i dont like him at guard....such a waste of his footwork and kick out. he probably can pull pretty well though, i dont know how he would be at the second level though. I think hes so good as sealing the edge that he needs to be used for that

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i dont like him at guard....such a waste of his footwork and kick out. he probably can pull pretty well though, i dont know how he would be at the second level though. I think hes so good as sealing the edge that he needs to be used for that
    thanks for your insight.......I'm pumped there is finally a legit OT prospect on the roster now........

Starter
    so do you think they may not even try him at OG in '11 ?

My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by andyg1984 View Post
    so do you think they may not even try him at OG in '11 ?
    No need to play him at Guard they got the Guard they wanted in Keith Williams. Another Outstanding Selection. Infact the could put him & Williams at Guard with Flo,Starks & Pouncey. Wow thats nice.

--- Added 4/30/2011 at 11:06 PM ---

KTRAIN,
    What do you think about the LB Chris Carter? I thought they would of taken Quan Sturdivant until I remembered he was cited for possession of pot.
    I thought they were going to take DJ Williams but they didn't. Welcome to the Packers DJ

--- Added 4/30/2011 at 11:07 PM ---

I love the Gilbert pick.

Like last year, I think the Steelers filled needs and got value.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Don't forget about Foster at RG; he was solid last year. Most of the big runs that Mendenhall had came off the right side with Foster and Adams. Sean Kugler has all the options available to him but you have to think this kid is going to be groomed to take over for Flozell in 2012.

This kid is a monster, something interesting I noticed this past weekend. When we were at fan fest and hanging out on the field waiting to kick a field goal, Marcus Gilbert came out and waved to the crowd. He was playing with the kids too, was really cool. The interesting thing was I watched him for a few minutes as the kids took turns running towards him with a football and he would jump from side to side as each one came to block them from getting past. When they say he's got quick feet, they aren't kidding. It may seem funny now but I'm telling when he's making quick transitions 10 ft in either direction back and forth, that's pretty sick for a guy that big. Makes you excited to see what he can do once the real thing starts.

My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Don't forget about Foster at RG; he was solid last year. Most of the big runs that Mendenhall had came off the right side with Foster and Adams. Sean Kugler has all the options available to him but you have to think this kid is going to be groomed to take over for Flozell in 2012.

This kid is a monster, something interesting I noticed this past weekend. When we were at fan fest and hanging out on the field waiting to kick a field goal, Marcus Gilbert came out and waved to the crowd. He was playing with the kids too, was really cool. The interesting thing was I watched him for a few minutes as the kids took turns running towards him with a football and he would jump from side to side as each one came to block them from getting past. When they say he's got quick feet, they aren't kidding. It may seem funny now but I'm telling when he's making quick transitions 10 ft in either direction back and forth, that's pretty sick for a guy that big. Makes you excited to see what he can do once the real thing starts.
    I loved foster and think Chris K is the one on the hot seat. I'm glad we got Gilbert & Kieth Williams.

Thread Information