Thread: Curtis Brown: Outlook and Expectations

Bookmark and Share

Curtis Brown: Outlook and Expectations

I wanted brown bad in the second....i was on the edge of my seat during the 3rd round and as he fell further i got more and more excited. i knew once the steelers were on the clock he had to be the pick (otherwise i would have been furious)

Since teammate Aaron Williams was a popular pick for the steelers in the first round im gonna analyze all the texas DBs really quick. Aaron williams to me was the best overall football player on the texas roster, hed be a CB on some teams, a FS on some but overall he was the superior football player and just an all around good defensive back. Curtis brown is definitely the best pure CB out of the bunch, 6-0 185 pounds he showed great technique and smooth transitions in drills at the combine and imo was only second to Brandon Harris as far as CB drills went. Chykie Brown was the best athlete of the 3, but has a long way to go as being a pro CB.

Harris has ideal quickness and agility to step in as a rookie and get playing time as a nickel back. Gay is likely on his way out the door and Brown should be able to step right in for him. His quickness will help cover guys like welker, jackson, bess, and the sneakier slot WRs that gay and mcfadden had trouble with in the solt role. I would project Ike as LCB, Mcfadden/Butler splitting time as RCB, and Brown/Butler splitting time as NB in 2012.

Tremendous value in the 3rd round, imo about 4 CBs went before him who were inferior talents. I think hes got a future as a starter on the team, his quickness and technique give us the best man to man cover guy on our roster in brown. Im really really excited about the steelers top 3 picks, i woud not be able to fine a better combination of 3 picks that would have been better. good overall weekend to be a steeler fan, but the steelers front office walks away with the most impressive first 3 rounds ive ever seen them put together...watch some videos of brown..you'll probably be excited to know that our next CB can catch!

I expect Lewis and Gay to be on their way out as a result of this, and i wont be shedding any tears over it.

Dude has major hops as well. I remember him making some ridiculous plays on the ball at the combine. Pretty sure he had the highest vertical jump of all DBs.

--- Added 5/1/2011 at 02:40 PM ---

My Mood
    Fine
    Remember William Gay is a free agent or RFA. I dont see him going anywhere. He is a Mike Tomlin pick and they like him. I see this as Keenan's last chance and wouldn't be surprised if Bmac was let go and not Gay.
    It was said that Butler might be seen as the FS back up/replacement for Clark because thats what they had him practice last year. FS & CB.
    I also was on the edge of my seat saying Curtis Brown come on Curtis Brown. I wanted Brown in the 2nd but glad they went with Gilbert then Brown. We wouldn't of gotten both.
    NOW RESIGN IKE!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I stated all along that I didn't want the Steelers to pick a corner in the first after the top two corners.......Ok I did like Jimmy Smith but he is a turd and I knew the Steelers took him off their board.....But after those three I wanted the Steelers to wait to draft a corner.....My thing with Aaron Williams he seems to be a jack of all trades but master of none DB....I may be wrong but that is my opinion.....I would have been happy with Brown in the 2nd and I was thrilled the Steelers took him in the third round....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think he'll fight Gay for that nickel spot for sure, and has a good chance taking it. However I don't think Gay will be gone necessarily but I do think Lewis will be out for sure. I could say Gay and Brown being the main backup CB's on the roster for sure.

An X factor would be McFadden? Do they bring him back again or cut him loose for younger talent?

Overall I was excited to see Brown get drafted, I saw him dropping to the Steelers in the 2nd and thought for sure they'd snag him. I started getting worried in the 3rd that Baltimore might take him to bolster their secondary. In any event, I love his potential, he could be a stud.

My Mood
    Impatient
    McFadden was injured most of the year, they will give him another year. He may lose his starting job, but they will give him another year and starting LCB will be his job to loose. They did not draft a safety, so I almost think Lewis might be headed there or out the door, or I have even heard rumors about Butler moving to safety.

Tomlin will have a hell of a time turning a job over to a rookie unless the stars really align! This kid will have to prove without a doubt he can ball....
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    I think he'll fight Gay for that nickel spot for sure, and has a good chance taking it. However I don't think Gay will be gone necessarily but I do think Lewis will be out for sure. I could say Gay and Brown being the main backup CB's on the roster for sure.

An X factor would be McFadden? Do they bring him back again or cut him loose for younger talent?

Overall I was excited to see Brown get drafted, I saw him dropping to the Steelers in the 2nd and thought for sure they'd snag him. I started getting worried in the 3rd that Baltimore might take him to bolster their secondary. In any event, I love his potential, he could be a stud.
    Lake is going to make a DB unit that we will all like. hopefully he can get the young guys on the field quicker.. this 3 year crap has got to go...

Thread Information