Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cameron Heyward: Outlook and Expectations

Bookmark and Share

Cameron Heyward: Outlook and Expectations

I thought i would start doing this for the draft picks....give a personal report on the picks, their skills, roles, and expectations for the future.

All along i have viewed Cameron Heyward as the best 3-4 Defensive End prospect in the draft. He is easily one of the top 10 senior prospects and would fall around 10-12 in my overall ratings. He has elite intangibles, bloodlines, size, and commitment to the game. At 6-5 nearly 300 pounds he has both the length and bulk to be a true master of the 5 tech position, one of the hardest positions to play in a 34 defense.

He fell in the draft to slot 31 because other potential 5 techs such as JJ Watt. Cam Jordan, and Muhummad Wilkerson made it somewhat rare class of 34 lineman. All of them are better pass rushers than Heyward, but we already have a player in that mold in hood. What the steelers got here is a replacement for Aaron smith, something i would never have confidence in hood to become. Hood does have better pass rushing skills that have him very well suited for Keisels spot on the right side, making this pick even more perfect.

As a rookie i dont expect him to be anything more than a rotational player by design, but you never know with Smith and Keisels injuries he may get a considerable amount of playing time. Heyward makes the secondary better by a considerable amount, so those of you too concerned with drafting a corner just think about this....a player that benefits from a true 5 tech on the LE spot is the LOLB, so i would expect woodley (or whoever) to truly be much better in this scenerio than if it were hood. Hood has the ability to penetrate and get pressure, Heyward has the ability to stonewall blockers, sustain blocks, and collapse the pocket.

Seriously, a good day to be a steeler fan, lets hope im this excited after rounds 2 and 3

My Mood
    Impatient
    Thanks Train, I always enjoy reading your take on the draft class. Steelersdepot said that Eason played over 500 snaps last year, so Heyward may get a significant amount of playing time this year.

I don't comment much on draft choices or potential ones basically because I have no clue. But I certainly enjoy reading your post and respect your opinions. Your passion and love of analyzing future talent shows in all your post.

Thanks and keep up the great work!
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

I'm with you bro, I love the pick. I didn't figure Heyward would drop, but I had him pretty high on my big board. Very happy to see him in the black and gold. I am salivating thinking about the front of Woodley - Heyward - Hampton - Hood - Harrison. Tackles around the AFC North will have to brush up on their holding techniques.

Starter
    good summary ... i really love this pick .. had him in the top 20 and thought there was no way in hell he would fall to 31 ..

My Mood
    patriots-hater
    I like the pickup. I also agree that our DL didn't do well last year to help the LB's which makes our secondary better. That's how we are built. When Smith was playing we were DOMINANT. Once he went down, things changed. We've seen it before. Woodley also took a step back. I hope this turns out in the end so we can return to form. For a team that was up and down most of the year. I hope today turns out where we can get 2 CBs next to shore up poor coverage guys in Gay and McFadden.

We really need help on the Oline as Cleveland and Balt defense get tougher. Sad to Say but CLE made out with that trade yesterday. But I still think Holmgren drafts for finesse so we'll see what they do.

i just want to stand on top of a mountain and scream i love cameron heyward

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Nice thing about this pick is that we can now go with Keisel, Ziggy, Hampton, A-Smith, Eason, Hoke and the rookie in a very nice little rotation. Nice write-up Ktrain!

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Heyward was one of the few players that I liked at 31 and the reasons are which you stated in your summary..........Smith is on his last legs and Keisel is at an age to were the wheels can start to come off.....So Heyward had to be the pick no doubt when he was still there at 31......

I love this pick and feel he could be hard to keep off the field...

Oh yea, thanks for the time you put in posting your insight.
    Last edited by LatrobePA; 04-29-2011 at 12:48 PM.

Thread Information