Thread: K Train's Final Steeler Mock

Bookmark and Share

K Train's Final Steeler Mock

1. Aaron Williams CB/FS Texas
    - I do believe williams will be the pick if heyward is not there...and if neither are there i expect them to reach for dowling. Aaron williams is a CB on the steelers and a FS for some teams. If by any chance he has to move to FS in the steelers scheme (and i firmly believe he wont have to) then hes a major upgrade over clark.

also in contention: Ras-i dowling CB Virgina, Cameron Heyward DE OSU, Mike Pouncey OG Florida, Phil Taylor NT Baylor

2. Marcus Gilbert OT Florida
    Big tackle that lived in the shadow of the pounceys but is a good prosepct in his own right. A massive man with light feet and a brilliant pass blocker. LT of the future? I think as a rookie he could potentially share time with flo in a nice RT rotation.

also in contention: Curtis Brown CB Florida, James Carpenter OT Bama, Allen bailey DE Miami, Greg Little WR UNC, Taiwan Jones RB Eastern Wash

3. Lance kendricks TE Wisconsin
    -Steelers get their guy from the combine, a willing (not great) blocker, a hell of a pass catcher that will replace spaeth and stretch the center of the field. not great at anything but a solid, all around option

also in contention: Davon House CB New Mexico st, Johnny Patrick CB Lousiville, Quinton Carter FS Oklahoma, Jerell Powe NT ole miss, Jarvis Jenkins DE Clemson

4. Chykie Brown CB Texas
    - More of an athlete than a CB hes got good potential and could easily be the future at NB once gay leaves...I have faith in texas DBs

also in contention: Greg Romeus OLB Pitt, Chimdi Chekwa CB OSU, Austin Pettis WR Boise

5. Alex Henery K Nebraska
    -Pretty big need for the steelers, they get imo the only draftable kicker to take over for reed. Suisham did a noble job but Henery could be the guy to count on for the next 10 years.

also in contention: terrell Mcclain DT USF, Sione Fua DT Stanford, Marcus Cannon OT TCU

6. Deunta Williams FS UNC
    - Fell a ton due to his injuries, but a great read and react safety, reads routes well, has good hands, good recovery ability, reliable tackler, elusive in the open field, good in run support...just an all around good player. May never be great but a solid all around contributor

also in contention: Frank Kearse DE Bama A&M

7. David Mims OT Virginia Union
    Massive tackle from a microscopic school. If jason cappizzi and king dunlp can stick on a roster i think mims has a solid chance of being a player in the league...clearly a few years away but he definitely looks the part and doesnt have cement in his feet like the other guys...hes a football player, the guys mentioned above are just gigantic men

also in contetion: Josh Bynes MLB Auburn

now wtf am i gonna do with my free time?

I would be very happy with the first three picks you have listed. I am admittedly not very knowledgeable about the others.

I think Williams would be an immediate upgrade across from Taylor; however, I doubt he would get much playing time next year, simply due to the Steelers' apparent redshirt policy on defensive rookies. I could see some spot duty in the rotation (CB and FS) and at nickel, eventually becoming a starter. Who knows, maybe he would end up being an excellent FS and Crezdon Butler could step up to play CB. Now, if Williams was gone at 31, but Harris and Dowling were there, who would you go after?

I definitely like the idea of Gilbert in there. I am confident in his abilities to play RT which is a need for this team. The Tony Hills experiment does not seem as if it has panned out, so I would love to see a young talent get drafted. If the Steelers go O-line or D-line in the first, I would like to see your other selection, Curtis Brown, here.

Like you said, I think Lance Kendricks would be a solid replacement for Spaeth. TE is a need for this team, and while I would not like to see them invest in the first two rounds (unless Rudolph fell to the Steelers in the second), a 3rd round pick on Kendricks would probably be a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    I would be very happy with the first three picks you have listed. I am admittedly not very knowledgeable about the others.

I think Williams would be an immediate upgrade across from Taylor; however, I doubt he would get much playing time next year, simply due to the Steelers' apparent redshirt policy on defensive rookies. I could see some spot duty in the rotation (CB and FS) and at nickel, eventually becoming a starter. Who knows, maybe he would end up being an excellent FS and Crezdon Butler could step up to play CB. Now, if Williams was gone at 31, but Harris and Dowling were there, who would you go after?

I definitely like the idea of Gilbert in there. I am confident in his abilities to play RT which is a need for this team. The Tony Hills experiment does not seem as if it has panned out, so I would love to see a young talent get drafted. If the Steelers go O-line or D-line in the first, I would like to see your other selection, Curtis Brown, here.

Like you said, I think Lance Kendricks would be a solid replacement for Spaeth. TE is a need for this team, and while I would not like to see them invest in the first two rounds (unless Rudolph fell to the Steelers in the second), a 3rd round pick on Kendricks would probably be a hit.
    williams would be able to play as a rookie in the role of a 4th CB, 2nd FS, or NB....he would have to be a quick study and be ready at all positions.

With mcfadden always having ankle problems, gay likely to leave and butler an unknown as a full time player they will need to shy away from the redshirt DB policy. hes pretty pro ready, as is dowling althought dowling needs to add lower body weight

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    williams would be able to play as a rookie in the role of a 4th CB, 2nd FS, or NB....he would have to be a quick study and be ready at all positions.

With mcfadden always having ankle problems, gay likely to leave and butler an unknown as a full time player they will need to shy away from the redshirt DB policy. hes pretty pro ready, as is dowling althought dowling needs to add lower body weight
    If this team goes after Dowling, I would not be overly concerned with lower body mass, but I imagine he could add another five to ten pounds to his lower body/core without affecting his speed. It seems like most players do bulk up in their first couple of years in the NFL (i.e. Timmons), so that shouldn't be much of an issue. Just have him do squats/deads with Doug Legursky for a while and he'll be good to go.

My Mood
    Impatient
    This cant be right, there are no LB's drafted

Thread Information