Thread: Steelers Mock Draft

Bookmark and Share
    Waterboy

Steelers Mock Draft

Hey guys I haven't commented here in a little bit, but I'm done with my mock draft and was wondering if you guys could critique it.

http://draftdebacled.com/publisheddraft.aspx?mdid=21781

#31…Ras-I Dowling/CB-Virginia
    Everyone knows the Steelers draft philosophy; draft for value. With a deep DE class, I believe Kevin Colbert will be targeting a player like Muhammad Wilkerson or Cameron Heyward to be the future DE as they did with Ziggy Hood two years back. The only problem is that the top tier of defensive lineman that fit the 3-4 are destined to be gone by pick #31. Another position people believe Pittsburgh is targeting is the offensive line, but Max Starks and Maurkice Pouncey are coming back from injury and should solidify the line for next year. With that being said, I believe CB is a glaring need in the defense, and needs to be addressed very early on in the draft. Throughout the season, the Steelers were able to beat just about any team they played, but when they faced an elite passer they struggled. Drew Brees and the Saints were able to handle the defense, and Tom Brady and the Patriots embarrassed the Steelers secondary. When the super bowl came around and Pittsburgh faced an elite passer in Aaron Rodgers, the Steelers could not handle it. After Rodgers’s 300 yard 3 TD performance, teams realized the way to beat the Steelers is to spread out the defense and isolate the cornerbacks. The NFL is shifting into a passing league, and at this point you can’t have enough cornerbacks. Unfortunately for the Steelers, top CB Ike Taylor is a free agent and will get looks from many teams this upcoming off season. Nickel back William Gay is also a free agent, and #2CB Bryant McFadden statistically had the worst season of any cornerback in 2010. With that being said, cornerback is a desperate need in Pittsburgh. Brandon Harris is more of a man coverage CB, so wouldn’t fit well in Pittsburgh’s zone scheme, and Aaron Williams may translate into a FS at the NFL level and doesn’t fit the scheme perfectly. Fortunately Ras-I Dowling would be an absolute perfect fit for the Steelers. Dowling fought injuries last season at Virginia, and saw his NFL draft stock drop from a potential top 15 pick to a high second round grade. If he had performed decently, I’m convinced he would be ranked up there with Prince Amukamura. Unlike Brandon Harris, Ras-I played in a zone defense in college, and with his fluid hips would translate in the NFL as a zone CB. Because of that, he fits the mold of a Steeler cornerback perfectly, and is perfect for their zone blitz scheme. On top of coverage skills, Dowling has great size and strength and will be able to help in run support often. He also has great soft hands and has the ability to intercept balls and become a game changer. Pittsburgh lacks this from Ike Taylor and the CB’s who had just 5 interceptions last season. On top of all this, former Virginia Head Coach Al Groh has praised Dowling’s character and regards him as a class act, a trait the Rooney’s absolutely love in their draft picks. Though Pittsburgh’s defense is complicating to learn and will take some time, Dowling can play in the nickel his rookie season in case a team picks up William Gay. In the end, if all works out and injuries are not a problem, the Steelers are getting a stud CB in Ras-I Dowling who has the potential to develop into an exceptional NFL cornerback.
    Sleeper Pick: Kyle Rudolph/TE-Notre Dame

I will shoot my TV if we pick Kyle Rudolph. We already have about 4 TEs on the roster with Miller, Spaeth, Johnson and Hines Ward. Not knocking Rudolph, but we have other immediate needs to be addressed. I hope 100 percent we go for a DB or DE.

if rudolph was the pick in round 2 id be thrilled, the dude is gonna be all pro and better than fasano, carlson, keller, pettigrew, and gresham imo

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    if rudolph was the pick in round 2 id be thrilled, the dude is gonna be all pro and better than fasano, carlson, keller, pettigrew, and gresham imo
    Agreed. Only round 2 or lower, but I don't see him lasting past that.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelDad View Post
    Agreed. Only round 2 or lower, but I don't see him lasting past that.
    i said back in feb he would be our #31 pick, BPA

you never know, spaeth sucks.. kyle and heath together would really help arians...

well you know.. not like mental help.. just a tool he would use to the limit since he loves TE's and we only really have one good TE in miller.

Aint no way Kyle falls to us in the second round. He has talent to go in the first.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Kyle is a baller....I love the kid and I would be thrilled if the Steelers drafted him in the 2nd but he won't be there....

If he is the best available DB left, that likley means a number of DBs were selected ahead of him. This likely means a DE or two are on the board (given rampant speculation that teams will be playing QB roulette). I don't know if they pull the trigger with him at 31. I think we need a corner, too, but it likley depends on which DL is left.

Hopefully some inexperienced or rookie GM/Coach makes an epic choke like Josh McDaniels did last year and outguesses himslef by being the only coach on the planet that thought Tebow should be picked in the first so we can go in swoop up better talent at 31.

I think we have enough needs that we will fill a void somewhere. They just need to be patient and smart and let the draft come to them. No TEs this year please.

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    If he is the best available DB left, that likley means a number of DBs were selected ahead of him. This likely means a DE or two are on the board (given rampant speculation that teams will be playing QB roulette). I don't know if they pull the trigger with him at 31. I think we need a corner, too, but it likley depends on which DL is left.

Hopefully some inexperienced or rookie GM/Coach makes an epic choke like Josh McDaniels did last year and outguesses himslef by being the only coach on the planet that thought Tebow should be picked in the first so we can go in swoop up better talent at 31.

I think we have enough needs that we will fill a void somewhere. They just need to be patient and smart and let the draft come to them. No TEs this year please.
    Mayock has Aaron Williams the #1 S and Rahim Moore #2 S

then he has #3 cb smith, #4 Ras-i and #5 Harris

who knows... i still think we try to trade down for extra picks.

My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
    I will shoot my TV if we pick Kyle Rudolph. We already have about 4 TEs on the roster with Miller, Spaeth, Johnson and Hines Ward. Not knocking Rudolph, but we have other immediate needs to be addressed. I hope 100 percent we go for a DB or DE.
    I so Agree.

--- Added 4/27/2011 at 07:41 PM ---

Jags will Take Cameron Jordan if he's on the board and team him with former teammate Tyson AluAlu. From what was said on Jim Wexels site, Kevin Coldert will run to the podium for Nate Solder. However I think A trade down with Denver for their two 2nds would be nice as Gery Dulac suggested The Steelers might do. It would require us to give up our 1st,2nd & 3rd to get Denvers #36 & 46.
    As far as moving up. We can move up to Phillys # 23,103 & 119(two 4th rounders) for our #31,63 & 159.

--- Added 4/27/2011 at 07:46 PM ---

As for Dowling I think they can make the trade with Denver and get Him & Williams, Him & Harris,Him & Brown or Him & Moore.

Thread Information