Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers Back In Time: Rating The 2009 NFL Draft

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Cool

Pittsburgh Steelers Back In Time: Rating The 2009 NFL Draft

With the second installment of the Pittsburgh Steelers Draft Back In Time series, we’re going to be taking a look at the 2009 NFL Draft, which wasn’t exactly the best of drafts that one has come to expect from the team, but also helped out at at least two separate positions in two separate rounds.

Read the full article here
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 04-23-2011 at 04:33 PM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I wouldn't give David Johnson a D, I'd probably give him a C. Since he has contributed significantly at FB I would say it's a pretty good choice given the fact that most 6th and 7th round guys don't even make the roster.

Ziggy Hood, while I would have given the choice a B when he was drafted, looking back I would say he's deserving of an A- now. It took him longer than most of us would have liked to really start making an impact but after last year I would say his future is bright and this turned out to be a really good pick.

Good stuff TJ, thanks!

Veteran
    They got some great help in that draft, but they really need to hit when they draft a guard in the 3rd round. Nothing to speak of in the later picks, but those become more of a crap shoot anyway. Wallace is a big time receiver and Ziggy impressed me last year. Those two picks, specifically Wallace's game breaking ability save the draft.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The more you look at that draft in 2009, the more you see that without Hood and Wallace that draft would have went down as one of the worst ever. The Wallace pick was much more impressive simply because hitting on a first round pick is pretty standard for most well managed franchises. Hitting on a 3rd rounder while not out of the ordinary, is still impressive because of the impact that Wallace has made.

The Steelers have got to learn from their mistakes in continuing to draft these lower tier cornerbacks. We can't afford to keep missing on these types of players, our secondary can't handle another year of sub par play like in 2010.

My Mood
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    I wouldn't give David Johnson a D, I'd probably give him a C. Since he has contributed significantly at FB I would say it's a pretty good choice given the fact that most 6th and 7th round guys don't even make the roster.

Ziggy Hood, while I would have given the choice a B when he was drafted, looking back I would say he's deserving of an A- now. It took him longer than most of us would have liked to really start making an impact but after last year I would say his future is bright and this turned out to be a really good pick.

Good stuff TJ, thanks!
    Thanks, BRC.

I dunno, I don't have anything against Johnson, he's always seemed pretty low key, and the one time I talked to him he was pretty funny, but the fact that he was used as a fullback at all when we had drafted about as pure a fullback as you can find in Summers kind of annoyed me, lol. Definitely give him props for surviving the cuts thus far, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    The more you look at that draft in 2009, the more you see that without Hood and Wallace that draft would have went down as one of the worst ever. The Wallace pick was much more impressive simply because hitting on a first round pick is pretty standard for most well managed franchises. Hitting on a 3rd rounder while not out of the ordinary, is still impressive because of the impact that Wallace has made.

The Steelers have got to learn from their mistakes in continuing to draft these lower tier cornerbacks. We can't afford to keep missing on these types of players, our secondary can't handle another year of sub par play like in 2010.
    Wallace saved that draft class, in my opinion. Without him, it's a mediocre one at best and a terrible one at worst. The thing about the Hood pick is that, yeah, it was a need pick, but if Aaron Smith hadn't of gotten hurt, fans and everyone else would still be pretty down on him being a 'disappointment', etc.

I'd be happy with another third round hit this year, we're not asking them to hit home runs in all seven rounds, but shoot. Something after the second would be fantastic, lol. Especially some undersung offensive lineman or something.

i cant read the article from the link, however all of you saying that hood really showed you something and impressed you last year are really only remembering 4, maybe 5 games that he was effective...the first 12 or so games of the year he was pathetic.

Hood is barely clinging to a C which is higher than i would have gave him when he was drafted so thats good..

after that the class is pathetic....wallace an A and johnson a B for being a crushing blocker. urbik, lewis, burnett, summers are all failures. Not sure who i hated more urbik or summers...just sad picks at the time and even sadder now

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i cant read the article from the link, however all of you saying that hood really showed you something and impressed you last year are really only remembering 4, maybe 5 games that he was effective...the first 12 or so games of the year he was pathetic.

Hood is barely clinging to a C which is higher than i would have gave him when he was drafted so thats good..

after that the class is pathetic....wallace an A and johnson a B for being a crushing blocker. urbik, lewis, burnett, summers are all failures. Not sure who i hated more urbik or summers...just sad picks at the time and even sadder now
    How was Hood pathetic in the first 12 games? Aaron Smith started until week 7. No one team ran on us the entire year. I know you hate him to death but to say he played bad in 75 percent of the games he is a huge exaggeration.

funny because everytime i saw him get game action from preseason on until the end of the year he was being blown off the ball and was on the ground way more than he should have been. he had a few games at the end that he played pretty spectacular but for the majority of the year he was terrible and i dont see anyway to dispute that.

i dont know what it is about him but this is the time of year he picks up alot of momentum among fans and that carries over to TC as him being the next big thing, then in game time he plays less than average...i just dont get it

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    funny because everytime i saw him get game action from preseason on until the end of the year he was being blown off the ball and was on the ground way more than he should have been. he had a few games at the end that he played pretty spectacular but for the majority of the year he was terrible and i dont see anyway to dispute that.

i dont know what it is about him but this is the time of year he picks up alot of momentum among fans and that carries over to TC as him being the next big thing, then in game time he plays less than average...i just dont get it
    Funny how he was getting blown off the ball in 12 games this season yet teams decided not to run at his direction.

through that stint timmons was always in the top 5 in tackles and when hood wasnt playing like **** his tackle numbers decreased dramatically...imo those are probably pretty directly related. the defense played very well in smiths absence, way better than we were expecting....but hood really played poorly for a while

i do hate him, i always have and i probably always will but i give him credit when he was due for it, but look back through the threads about him and his progress or lack thereof during the year....i thought it was pretty common knowledge that he played like complete **** for a while
    Last edited by K Train; 04-25-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Thread Information