Thread: 2008 Steelers vs 2010 Steelers

Bookmark and Share
    Starter
    My Mood
    Cool

2008 Steelers vs 2010 Steelers

Which team do you think was better. Okay the obvious choice 2008 because we won the SB. But both teams had identical 12-4 records. The 2010 team had pouncey. 2008 team had santonio Holmes and Willie Parker, vs Rashard Mendenhall, Mike wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders in 2010.

The 2010 team I think had a tougher road to the Super Bowl. Both teams beat the Ravens in the playoffs. The Steelers faced an 8-8 Chargers team in 08, but faced an 11-5 Jets team in the Afc championship in 2010. I'd have to say Green Bay was a better opponent than Arizona in the sb. But neither GB and Arizona had steller regular seasons. But got hot down the stretch. Both had great qb's and were loaded on offense. Green bay had a better defense however.

We had a great defense in 08. The 2010 team sometimes had problems putting teams away. I felt the 2010 team committed alot of dumb penalties and was very undisciplined. However they did have to overcome the 4 game suspension of BigBen.
    Last edited by Clevelandsux; 04-23-2011 at 05:55 PM.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

Quote Originally Posted by Clevelandsux View Post
    Which team do you think was better. Okay the obvious choice 2008 because we won the SB. But both teams had identical 12-4 records. The 2010 team had pouncey. 2008 team had santonio Holmes and Willie Parker, vs Rashard Mendenhall, Mike wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders in 2010.

The 2010 team I think had a tougher road to the Super Bowl. Both teams beat the Ravens in the playoffs. The Steelers faced an 8-8 Chargers team in 08, but faced an 11-5 Jets team in the Afc championship in 2010. I'd have to say Green Bay was a better opponent than Arizona in the sb. But neither GB and Arizona had steller regular seasons. But got hot down the stretch. Both had great qb's and were loaded on offense. Green bay had a better defense however.

We had a great defense in 08. The 2010 team sometimes had problems putting teams away. I felt the 2010 team committed alot of dumb penalties and was very undisciplined. However they did have to overcome the 4 game suspension of BigBen.
    The 2008 defense was one of the best ever. I don't think you can compare that side of the ball. A healthy Troy, Aaron Smith, and a 3 years younger Farrior, Hampton, etc. Our secondary also had a great year outside the Super Bowl game.

Offensively, I'd give it to the 2010 team. While we had a much tougher schedule, Ben was pretty average up until the playoffs and Parker was absolutely mediocre. The offensive line that year was putrid as well and probably the worst to win a SB. Wallace/Ward/Sanders/Brown is a much better threat that Holmes/Ward/Washington.

Starter
    My Mood
    Cool
    Yes I forgot the 08 team had the toughest schedule in the league.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That 2008 team was something to behold.

A healthy, aggressive, secondary that included McFadden in the prime of his career and healthy. A good pass rush to keep the pressure off the guys in the back was such a key. It allowed them take chances and play aggressive enough to keep even the best opposing quarterbacks in check. Harrison was in absolute beast mode all year long and the team just kept finding ways to win. Any given player would step up on any given week and make a game changing play.

I like the run defense of the 2010 unit though, literally one of the best run defenses in the history of the league. It was amazing to watch them go to work and see the offense just give up on the run most times before they even started. It was just assumed that in order to win you had to throw it because you weren't going to make a living on the ground.

I like the offense of the 2010 team though, so many more weapons even if some of them are still in the development stage. Guys like Wallace, Brown, and Sanders are just now finding out how good they really are. Mendenhall is turning into everything we hoped and then some. Ben is maturing each year and regardless of his performance in the Super Bowl he is clearly one of the best in the league.

The 2008 offense was no slouch either of course, Santonio was also in total beast mode and was virtually unstoppable. That drive by Ben to win the Super Bowl was a thing of beauty and I think really took him to the next level. It was one for the ages and worthy of all the highlights reels it's been seen on.

Overall it's hard to compare the 2, personally I'd like a combination of the 2 for 2012.

My Mood
    Cool
    I'm sticking with y'all. Give me the 2008 defense and the 2010 offense and just...wow. The lockout wouldn't matter, they could just hand Rooney another trophy this year.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The special teams for me is almost a toss up as far as the kickers go. In 2008 Jeff Reed was 24-32 in FG's made for a 75% average. He had his ups and downs but generally he was able to make the big kicks for us. Danny Sepulveda tore his ACL in July that year, giving way to Mitch Berger and Paul Ernster. Obviously the Steelers punting unit was ranked near the bottom most of the year.

In 2010 Danny tore his ACL again in December, so Kapinos was brought in. Reed, well we all know what happened there. Suisham was money in the regular season but did struggle some in the post season. Overall I would take the Punting of 2010 for sure but the Field Goals are a toss up.

Coverage units, no question I would take the 2010 team. Each year this group has gotten steadily better and I no longer worry about a long return happening every time we kick off.

Thread Information