View Poll Results: What's the Steelers record in 2011 going to be based on the schedule now?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • 15-1

0 0%
  • 14-2

3 6.98%
  • 13-3

7 16.28%
  • 12-4

17 39.53%
  • 11-5

14 32.56%
  • 10-6

4 9.30%
  • 9-7

0 0%
  • 8-8

0 0%
  • 7-9 or Worse

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers 2011 Schedule Discussion

Bookmark and Share
    The rats in game 1 when both teams are fresh. I am taking the words right out of clubber lang's mouth and my prediction for that game is "pain."

Particularly if camp is shortened, somebody is leaving that game hurt.

I don't know about this schedule. I think it could prove much harder than it is projected based on last years performance:

Sunday, Sept. 11 at Baltimore 1 p.m CBS
    We all know these kind of games. It'll be a rough rough game which can go both ways. I'll just pick it safe and say that Ravens take this one, and we take the one in Pittsburgh. Who knows though...

Sunday, Sept. 18 SEATTLE 1 p.m. FOX
    I have no doubt in my mind that this is a win. I like what they are doing in Seattle at the moment, but they are nowhere near close to be able to march into Pittsburgh and come out of here with a victory.

Sunday, Sept. 25 at Indianapolis 8:20 p.m. NBC
    This one is extremely hard to predict, as Colts season always pan out in accordance to how Payton plays. They had more injuries than any other team last year but if they can stay healthy, this game will be rough. A lot depend on what happens with our secondary. We know Colts won't come out running on us, and if the secondary play like they did last year, Manning will destroy us. I am going to be a little pessimistic and say we loose this one, simply based on how well Colts match up against Steelers.

Sunday, Oct. 2 at Houston 1 p.m. CBS
    Another tough call. I've been a Houston "fan" for some years now. I like their mentality and I think they have something really good going on over there, but somehow they just fall short year in and year out. Yet, a game @ Houston could easily be a game with the same outcome as the Colts game. They just match up very well against Steelers with their explosive passing-game and our lackluster secondary. As it is right now, I would actually give the edge to Texans, but it'll be a close call!

Sunday, Oct. 9 TENNESSEE 1 p.m. CBS
    What Titans team will we see in 11? I don't think it'll be as bad as many predict them to be, but I they won't be good enough to beat Steelers in Pittsburgh!

Sunday, Oct. 16 JACKSONVILLE 1 p.m. CBS
    Another win to Steelers. Jaguars have caused trouble in the past, but the team is just horrible imho.

Sunday, Oct. 23 at Arizona 4:05 p.m. CBS
    What a game this will be. I guarantee you, there is NO game Cardinals would rather win than this one. Sadly, they won't. They have a talented roster, but no QB and a lackluster defense. Steelers is going to win this one and Whisenhunt can continue to be sad that he ended up in the desert.

Sunday, Oct. 30 NEW ENGLAND 4:15 p.m. CBS
    We'll loose this one. Why? Because we don't win against Patriots, and it is really that simple. Every single game we keep telling ourselfs that we'll beat them, and every single time Brady and co. destroys us. They have 6 picks in the 3 first rounds. They'll be a force to reckon with, and I honestly don't think Steelers have much chance in this one.

Sunday, Nov. 6 BALTIMORE 8:20 p.m. NBC
    We split with Ravens and win this one.

Sunday, Nov. 13 at Cincinnati 1 p.m. CBS
    Bengals will probably be worse than last year the way their team is being handled atm. This will be a win, and so will the next in Pittsburgh.

Sunday, Nov. 20 Bye

Sunday, Nov. 27* at Kansas City 8:20 p.m. NBC
    A not so easy away game. I do think we'll win this one but this is one of those so-so games, where we easily could loose, simply because Chiefs is not that bad of a football team, and we are playing in their house.

Sunday, Dec. 4* CINCINNATI 1 p.m. CBS
    Win.

Thursday, Dec. 8 CLEVELAND 8:20 p.m. NFL Network/KDKA
    They NFL have had quite some fun when they decided that this should be the Steelers Thursday game. They remember what happened last time. I refuse to believe we'll drop this one, but we never know. This is the kind of game we've thrown away in the past.

Monday, Dec. 19 at San Francisco 8:30 p.m. ESPN
    I don't like this game. Niners need a QB, but they have a really talented roster and with a new coach this team could become a very good team. I believe Steelers will come away from the westcoast with a win, but it won't come easy.

Saturday, Dec. 24* ST. LOUIS 1 p.m. FOX
    A lot of good things is happening to the Rams, and while I believe they have a bright future, they are not yet at a place where they can do bad things against Steelers in Pittsburgh. Steelers win this one!

Sunday, Jan. 1* at Cleveland 1 p.m. CBS

This damn well better be a win, simple as that.

This leaves us with yet another 12-4 season, however it could easily be 10-6 or 13-3. A lot depend on our secondary as we are going to face some very pass-happy teams. We also have a lot of up-and-comming teams, which are not to be taken as lightly as their previous years indicate.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Looks like we should be able to keep the regular season intact now, all dates as far as we know will be right on according to the official schedule released earlier this spring.

My Mood
    Clowns
    The key game out of these first 6 games or so of the season is the opener against the Ravens. If the Steelers can somehow steal this game which I think they have a great chance of doing then starting the season 5-1 is very very possible. I like the Steelers to beat the Seahawks,Titans,and Jags here at home the first 6 games of the schedule. So if you can somehow split the games with the Colts and the Texans on the road on back to back weeks and go 1-1 in those 2 games, there is no reason to believe they cannot be 5-1 going into that tough 3 game stretch at Arizona followed by the Patriots and Ravens back to back weeks at home...

What happened to an AFC CHAMP and NFC CHAMP game rematch to start the season? They did that for at least a couple years and I thought it was pretty cool. I only just noticed they did away with it and I'm not even sure when that happened, but I did like it.

Waterboy

Schedule could be deceiving

It would be easy to think that the Steelers will dominate this schedule. On paper and based on last season, it looks very weak. But I don't believe it will be...

Right off the bat the Steelers get the Ravens on the road. I feel this is a bigger game for Baltimore than it is for the Steelers. The Ravens do well against the Steelers when Big Ben isn't around, but when he is, they don't. Most of the Ravens wins against the Steelers since Big Ben has started has been when Ben has been out. After the Ravens game, there is no way the Steelers should lose the home opener to Seattle. Be worried if you lose to Tavaris Jackson. Then it really gets tough, 4 straight games against the AFC South. Peyton Manning should be back for the Sunday night game, Houston has improved to become VERY dangerous, Tennesee should have Chris Johnson back by the time the Steelers come back home and they will have a better QB behind center in Hasselbeck. Then they finish the run with Jacksonville, who almost always gives the Steelers fits no matter how good or bad they are. Del Rio will have them ready. Remember, the Steelers lost the last 2 games at home against the Jaguars including that playoff lost the year after the SB 40 win.

Then the Steelers visit an old friend in Whisenhunt in Arizona. This game is tougher than it looks. Kolb should be very comfortable with their offense by this time. Then our other nemesis, Tom Brady comes to town and I believe we have but one win against him when he has started for the Patriots. He'll be even more dangerous now that our old buddy, Ochocinco is playing with him now. Then the big Sunday night rematch with the Ravens. Winner will obviously be the favorite to win the division. Then a road game against Cincinnati. Ben plays well there and we have no idea what kind of team to expect by this game. Lots of young talent but their back, Benson, will likely be either rusty or absent after serving his jail time. He will likely be absent because Goodell has to suspend him for some games. It just depends on when.

After the bye, they start with a road game against the Chiefs. Remember the last meeting? They had no business losing but they did anyway. I'm sure the defense remembers the embarassment. This is no easy matchup. Then they come back home for Cincinnati again followed by (for the 3rd straight year) a Thursday night game against Cleveland at home. Cleveland is going to be tough by this time. They will put everything into this game. Then a nice little rest before their longest trip of the season to San Francisco for the 49ers. Like the Seattle game, be wary if you lose to Alex Smith. Then it's the final regular season home game against a very improving St. Louis team with Bradford, Jackson and a good young defense. The season ends with Cleveland on the road, again. Hopefully, the Steelers will be able to rest starters for this one before the playoffs.

I voted 11-5 because even though the schedule looks easy, it probably won't end up being that way. You also figure the Steelers will lose a game some time during the season they have no business losing. They should, at the very least, get a wild-card and they've done well from that position before. Baltimore has an edge where they get Indy and Houston at home and they don't play the Patriots but they also have to play the Jets and the Chargers. I think they end up tied for 1st and tie-breaker will decide it. Who knows what that will come down to. Probably whoever avoids the upset to either the Bengals or Browns. GO STEELERS!!!

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by rblythepittsteel View Post
    It would be easy to think that the Steelers will dominate this schedule. On paper and based on last season, it looks very weak. But I don't believe it will be...

Right off the bat the Steelers get the Ravens on the road. I feel this is a bigger game for Baltimore than it is for the Steelers. The Ravens do well against the Steelers when Big Ben isn't around, but when he is, they don't. Most of the Ravens wins against the Steelers since Big Ben has started has been when Ben has been out. After the Ravens game, there is no way the Steelers should lose the home opener to Seattle. Be worried if you lose to Tavaris Jackson. Then it really gets tough, 4 straight games against the AFC South. Peyton Manning should be back for the Sunday night game, Houston has improved to become VERY dangerous, Tennesee should have Chris Johnson back by the time the Steelers come back home and they will have a better QB behind center in Hasselbeck. Then they finish the run with Jacksonville, who almost always gives the Steelers fits no matter how good or bad they are. Del Rio will have them ready. Remember, the Steelers lost the last 2 games at home against the Jaguars including that playoff lost the year after the SB 40 win.

Then the Steelers visit an old friend in Whisenhunt in Arizona. This game is tougher than it looks. Kolb should be very comfortable with their offense by this time. Then our other nemesis, Tom Brady comes to town and I believe we have but one win against him when he has started for the Patriots. He'll be even more dangerous now that our old buddy, Ochocinco is playing with him now. Then the big Sunday night rematch with the Ravens. Winner will obviously be the favorite to win the division. Then a road game against Cincinnati. Ben plays well there and we have no idea what kind of team to expect by this game. Lots of young talent but their back, Benson, will likely be either rusty or absent after serving his jail time. He will likely be absent because Goodell has to suspend him for some games. It just depends on when.

After the bye, they start with a road game against the Chiefs. Remember the last meeting? They had no business losing but they did anyway. I'm sure the defense remembers the embarassment. This is no easy matchup. Then they come back home for Cincinnati again followed by (for the 3rd straight year) a Thursday night game against Cleveland at home. Cleveland is going to be tough by this time. They will put everything into this game. Then a nice little rest before their longest trip of the season to San Francisco for the 49ers. Like the Seattle game, be wary if you lose to Alex Smith. Then it's the final regular season home game against a very improving St. Louis team with Bradford, Jackson and a good young defense. The season ends with Cleveland on the road, again. Hopefully, the Steelers will be able to rest starters for this one before the playoffs.

I voted 11-5 because even though the schedule looks easy, it probably won't end up being that way. You also figure the Steelers will lose a game some time during the season they have no business losing. They should, at the very least, get a wild-card and they've done well from that position before. Baltimore has an edge where they get Indy and Houston at home and they don't play the Patriots but they also have to play the Jets and the Chargers. I think they end up tied for 1st and tie-breaker will decide it. Who knows what that will come down to. Probably whoever avoids the upset to either the Bengals or Browns. GO STEELERS!!!
    Excellent breakdown couldnt have done it better myself. The deciding game last season was that game the Ravens lost to the Bengals in week 2 where it gave them a worse division record then the Steelers putting them at 4-2 in the division to the Steelers 5-1. The way I look at it as far as the Ravens are concerned is they are going to win their share of games much like they did last season. But the bottom line is they can win all of those games against the Colts,Texans,and Jets like you had just mentioned but it still will come down to whether or not they beat the Steelers in both games head to head which I still dont think they will do. The last two times in 2008 and 2010 the Ravens have been right there with the Steelers for the division they won every single one of their games down the stretch in the regular season pretty much in November and December and lost to the Steelers in Baltimore in December of 2008 and 2010 with pretty much the division title on the line in both of those games in Baltimore in December, and lost in the playoffs in January in Pittsburgh as well in both of those seasons. Harbaugh and Flacco have proven time and time again they do not know how to finish off the Steelers late in the year and cannot get by them to win the games that really matter or the games that Ben Roethlisberger plays in.

So like I mentioned above and you just mentioned as well the Ravens definitely need this game a lot more then the Steelers do. I think the Steelers can lose in Baltimore and still recover from it and still have a great chance to win the North especially with another game in Pittsburgh still to come in early November with the Ravens. I dont know if the Ravens can. Keep in mind the Ravens have a tough game as well in week 3 of the season before they play the Jets at home the following week having to travel to a much improved St Louis Rams team. That game will be no walk in the park for the Ravens trust me.

As I said above I think if the Steelers win that game in Baltimore to start the year they have an excellent chance of starting the year at 5-1. I think they can split in both Indy and Houston and win all 3 of those home games against Seattle,Tennesse,and Jacksonville. I dont care if Tennessee has Hasselbeck now as their QB or if Jacksonville always plays the Steelers tough there will be no excuse in the world for the Steelers to lose to either one of those teams at Heinz Field on back to back weeks. Both of those teams are still average to below average teams at bests and I just cannot see either of them coming in here and winning. With all this being said, I like the Steelers to win in Baltimore on opening day by 10 points 24-14. I think the Ravens will be affected a great deal by the players they lost in the off-season and in crunch time much like every Steelers Ravens game Ben and the Steelers defense will make the plays to win and Flacco and the Ravens defense will crash and burn like they always do late in the games against the Steelers.
    Last edited by Troyisabeast_43; 08-31-2011 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rblythepittsteel View Post

I also voted for 11-5 and think that is easily the most likely scenario. Easy schedule or hard it is the NFL and if you don't play close to your best you often lose. Seems to me we have a better year (record and depth into the playoffs) when he have a "tough" schedule and a somewhat disappointing season when we have an "easy" schedule.

1. I am much more concerned with the Texans game than the Colts. Schaub can give us fits and they are finally improved on defense. Even if Peyton is back historically coming off injury he starts off struggling a bit.

2. I hate to say this but I think we lose to the Browns once this year. I honestly think Colt McCoy is going to become a decent (not great but solid) NFL QB and Holmgren has had that much more time to put his stamp on this team- he has proved he can rebuild.

3. As for the game we lose that we have no business doing so.... the 49ers. The cross country trip has been heavily noted as a bump in the road for NFL teams across the board and there is a real correlation although it is tougher to go West to East rather than East to West. Also by this time Harbaugh (who I believe in) will have begun to have an effect on the way this team plays so we should be seeing a more disciplined, improving, physical football team.

4. The Patriots. No need to detail the struggles here, although I DO NOT assume it is a given that we lose, but would be ok with a loss here in the event we play them in the playoffs. Yes, a little superstitious, I know.

5. WILD?? Cannot decide on our 5th lose. KC, St. Louis, Jacksonville, Baltimore are all conceivable losses. I will say this, it will not surprise me for us to beat the Ravens twice this year and see them not make the playoffs. They have O-line troubles of their own, an aging defense, our run defense combined with the fact that I'm not sold on Flacco, and I don't think they did anything to measurably improve there football team in free agency and actually got rid of some pieces that are effective against us, most notably Heap.

That is just how I see it but 11-5 does seem likely. In the end, get us into the playoffs (regardless of record and position) and I like our chances to make a run at a seventh shiny little trophy in the glass case outside Tomlin's office.

UPDATE: Couldn't have been more wrong about Baltimore not improving their team to matchup against us, damn! I still am not completely sold on how their season turns out though.
    Last edited by STEELyourface; 09-15-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Thread Information