Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mendenhall To Suffer Same Fate As Parker?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Cool

Mendenhall To Suffer Same Fate As Parker?

As promised, Mike Tomlin ran Willie Parker until his wheels came off and now it's Rashard Mendenhall's turn.

Parker was leading the league in rushing entering the 15th game of the 2007 season when his leg was broken. He finished with 1,316 yards and his career was finished 20 months later.

Parker carried 337 times in 2006 for 1,494 yards and 321 times in 2007, when he would have had another 40-50 carries had his injury not occurred.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11086...#ixzz1Hoc6lav4

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    In theory it could happen, but Parker's injury's played a big role in his demise of the Steelers as much as Mendenhall's performance did in him taking over. I would say that yes Mendenhall did get a lot of work and he responded well all year long but so far he's still young and able to carry the load. Tomlin spelled Mendenhall considerably this past year with Mewelde Moore to help ease the load and I suspect we'll see even more of that in 2011.

I would love to see Redman get more carries and really take over that #2 spot. Running backs need a good amount of carries to get into the flow of the game and be effective so it's kind of a 2 edged sword.

Rookie Free Agent
    There was some concern about this early last season. Mendenhall was up there with the Titan's Johnson in leading the league in carries. But this was brought out in a lot of threads and then the carries were lightened. Mendy was fresh for the end of the season and the PO's and he was used as necessary.

There is really no story here. If Mendys wheels fall off it will because of some other reason than overuse.

They are running out of things to talk about waiting for the draft. Unless this is a draft ploy to infer the much higher pick of a RB in the draft than anyone expects.

Assistant Coach nuclearchihuahuas's Avatar
    Seriously? If he had an o-line that could regularly be expected to open holes in the D, then he would have beaten CJ. With a little help, Mendy would be a beast!
    :logospin:

This really isn't rocket science. NFL running backs get punished and factor into the NFL career average being just shy of 4 years. When you get drafted, especially high as a running back, you are signing up for a lot of contact and potential injuries. This is the fate of an NFL running back on all 32 teams, not just the Steelers.

I think Mendenhall is a bit more robust than Parker. Hopefully the team can also bolster the offensive line so that he doesn't have to get crushed by defensive linemen constantly.

I do have to say something, though (surprise, surprise): I do not like first round running backs. While I think Mendenhall is valuable, I feel like it is too much of a gamble for a position where quality can be found in later rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    I do have to say something, though (surprise, surprise): I do not like first round running backs. While I think Mendenhall is valuable, I feel like it is too much of a gamble for a position where quality can be found in later rounds.
    Let's hope Dwyer pans out!

While I like Redman, with any injury at RB, the Steelers backfield would instantly be very thin. The Steelers should be considering a RB in the later rounds of this draft for this reason.

willie parker was nothing without the oline that carried him....full of some great run blockers in faneca, smith, hartings and starks. his lack of vision and quickness was his fate when that run blocking line was dismantled. mendenhall is a far superior runner

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    willie parker was nothing without the oline that carried him....full of some great run blockers in faneca, smith, hartings and starks. his lack of vision and quickness was his fate when that run blocking line was dismantled. mendenhall is a far superior runner
    Parker really was just one thing... FAST. His poor vision and lack of ANY patience whatsoever became very evident in his last few years.

He really annoyed me his last couple years here when he complained for more carries and blamed his lack of carries for his lack of production. That's why he is where he is now I guess. (nowhere)

My Mood
    Cool
    Not to mention post injury Parker was playing scared.

Thread Information