Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The search is on...Rivera, Whiz, & Grimm to be interviewed

Bookmark and Share
    House of Steel
    How good is Kirk Ferentz?

House of Steel
    You got a point, Marlowe. I would thought for sure Rivera would keep LeBeau around to run the 3-4 Blitzburgh Style and learn off of him. I hate the 4-3 sequence, it sucks, and just doesn't spell Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    Rivera is maybe the best choice, but there are two things to consider: Rivera coming means LeBeau leaving, Rivera coming means a less-cap-friendly 4-3 scheme. Right now the Steelers don't have the right personnel to adjust to a 4-3 defence (I don't see the Rooneys spending big money on a couple of new DTs, given that Hoke isn't good enough to be a starter with Hampton) and that's the reason that could push them to choose an offensive-minded coach, leaving all defence matters in LeBeau's hands.
    that is not neccessarily true, hes not a hardcore 4-3 guy, he has adapted before, he used to use 4-3, then he switched to tampa 2...the guy isnt narrow minded and knows what hes doing

Quote Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
    that is not neccessarily true, hes not a hardcore 4-3 guy, he has adapted before, he used to use 4-3, then he switched to tampa 2...the guy isnt narrow minded and knows what hes doing
    I didn't know this, thanks K-train. I heard from a couple of analysts that Rivera would take back the Steelers to their old 4-3. So you think he would keep the 3-4? That would be great, i like LeBeau and his D.
    -------------------

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    I be shocked if Rivera comes here. After going through some articles. It appears the Steelers future is Very Grimm.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    I didn't know this, thanks K-train. I heard from a couple of analysts that Rivera would take back the Steelers to their old 4-3. So you think he would keep the 3-4? That would be great, i like LeBeau and his D.
    i do not think he would change much, of course some, but i think it would be like our system with his ideas implemented into it. Hes a smart guy more than a stubborn guy, i like to see guys build around a team rather than forcing them into their system *cough* Gruden *cough*. And while rivera would bring his staff, Lebeau isnt a guy you can just let go....hes a defensive genius.

My Mood
    Amazed

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by House of Steel View Post
    How good is Kirk Ferentz?
    Brief biog - Born in Michigan but moved to Pittsburgh young. Went to Upper St.Clair High School, went to college at UConn, played LB and was a team captain. Started out in coaching as a grad assistant at UConn, then moved on and spent a year at Assistant OL coach at Pitt under Jackie Sherrill in 1980 He then joined Iowa as Offensive Line coach under Hayden Fry and was there from 1981-1989, he sent a total of 11 Hawkeye linemen to the NFL. In 1990 he got his first head coaching job at Maine, he spent three years there before moving to the Browns as assistant head coach and offensive line coach under Belichick, then under Ted Marchibroda when the Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens, Ferentz was instrumental in shaping the career of Jonathan Ogden as a rookie and starting him on his way to a Hall of Fame career. Fry retired as head coach in 1998 after 20 years and Ferentz succeeded him. After going 1-10 his first year, he quickly turned things around a they went to the BCS as Big Ten Champions in 2002 and Ferentz was named coach of the year, they shared the Big Ten title again in 2004. Ferentz's record in Bowl Games is 3-3.

There aren't many coaches in the college game who have the respect that Kirk Ferentz has. He is considered to be a very firm but fair coach, whose knowledge of the game is first rate and who brings a workman-like attitude to his job, whilst treating his players like men. He has also engendered a family atmosphere in the program and as a result has recruited well both inside and outside of the state. The best attribute that he has is that he prepares his players so well and no one gets more out of his players than Ferentz does, both on and off the field - Iowa's graduation rate for their players has always been in the top handful of schools in the country. It's why Iowa can push teams who are better than them so close in so many games, Ferentz prepares his players well even though they are not as athletic is other teams, his linemen are always technically sound which is why so many of them are highly rated out of college, yes, they are overachievers at times but they are also producing some great football players too. NFL teams know what they are getting with Iowa players when they appear on the radar, they are getting fundamentally sound performers who are smart and understand the game. Some of them aren't as athletic as prospects from other schools but they are better prepared for the rigours of life in the NFL coming from a Kirk Ferentz program, they instinctively know what to expect. Think of guys like Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark, Nate Kaeding, Eric Steinbach, Aaron Kampman and
    Ladell Betts - good, honest, hard working football players who have achieved so much in the pros all of whom have emerged from the tutelage of Ferentz.

This is the perfect guy to replace Cowher - to me, he has the persona, the coaching ability and the appreciation for the Steeler job and all that comes with it. In short, he gets it, he understands what a special job this is and what a special situation it would be to work for the Rooney's back in his hometown, don't let anyone tell you that he is "just a college coach", he is so much more than that.

Now, I'm not going to sit here and say that Ferentz should be the next Steeler coach, or that he is the best candidate out there, to be honest, my gut feeling is that I don't think he'll get the job and I trust the Rooney family to find the right guy. I trust them implicitly with whoever they pick - this is the second coaching change since the Nixon Administration, so they've earned that right. Kirk has flirted semi-seriously with the NFL a couple of times, with Cleveland two years ago and with Green Bay and Houston last year, both sounded him out but he wasn't really deeply interested and it never went further than initial conversations. But I think this is different now, I think this is the job that if the Rooney family came calling he would really go for, again because of the special situation that the Steeler job has and the prestige that goes with it but because I think he knows deep down that if he is ever going to jump to the pros this is the perfect situation for him - if you want to head to the NFL, you might as well go for the most prestigious job out there. I think if he gets an interview, he will impress them immensely, again, I just don't think he'll get the job either because he might want to change things too much and the Rooney's would look for continuity and stability, but I think that he could give an excellent account of himself if he were to really go for it in an interview and that could really upset the Rooney's thinking if they are looking to appoint from within.

Finally, I just say look at the man. Pittsburgh guy. Assistant Head Coach to one of the best who ever lived in Belichick, 6 years NFL experience. Replaced one legend in Hayden Fry, rebuilt the program from the ground up, conference champion and coach of the year. A players coach, firm but fair, knows how to push the right buttons with them and always gets more out of his players than nearly every other coach in that level sending many players to successful pro careers. An appreciation for what this job would entail and the special place that the Steelers have both in the NFL and in the city too.

Sounds perfect? That's because this is a very good match between team and coach. Let's just see how this plays out, remember, we don't see this situation very often and I don't think there is much doubt that because of the stability of the franchise and the ownership that this is without question the most prestigious head coaching job in the NFL - two guys since 1969 tells you all you need to know, there have been twice as many Popes as there have been Steeler head coaches in that time. Again, if he doesn't get it, I won't stamp my feet and wonder why he didn't get it but if he gets a shot at this and he really wants it, then watch out because he could really blow them away in an interview. He may prefer NCAA over NFL, or he may prefer NFL over NCAA who knows?
    Last edited by Steelerlyn; 01-05-2007 at 11:57 PM.
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

THe name Mike Singletary was brought up on ESPN as well

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    THe name Mike Singletary was brought up on ESPN as well
    I like the idea of Mike Singletary has the Steelers HC. If the Steelers go outside the organization he would be one of the guys I would want.

House of Steel
    I wouldn't. Stay inside and go with Grimm. Whiz can take his behind to Hotlanta.

Thread Information