Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: James Harrison :My response to comments on the lockout

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Sunshine

James Harrison :My response to comments on the lockout

This is for those who posted comments on my latest post from NFLLockout.com.

I am not trying to disrespect anyone, or hurt anyoneís feelings but as is my style, Iím going to keep it 100% real with all you fans. You deserve to know the truth and Iím grateful for all the support you give me so Iím going to give you that truth.

The NFL is first and foremost a $9.3 billion business. The players are employees, just as Greyhound is business and the bus drivers are the employees. Iím lucky enough to love my job, but I still want to be paid the fair market value for my services, as the bus driver would want to be paid the fair market value for his.

I understand that some players make a lot of money, myself included. Most players donít. Understand that it isnít the player that sets his value. Just as it is not the bus driver that sets HIS value. Thatís simply capitalism.

Just because the value of a football playerís job is not the same as the value of bus driverís job doesnít mean the rights of the two workers should be any different. The actual dollar amount any worker makes is irrelevant when the issue at stake is fair market value compensation for WHATEVER job you have. Unions were formed during the Industrial Revolution to protect the workers and to ensure they get the value of their services and most importantly, safe working conditions. Why is this now supposed to be different for football players? One person could make 45k a year and another person make 200 million a year. Either workerís right to receive the fair market value for his services and safe working conditions shouldnít diminish with the increase of salary.

If you are a bus driver and all of a sudden the owners say ďHey Joe....by the way....we are cutting your pay 20% across the board and you have to work not 8 but 12 hours a day because the bus company owners are just not making enough money. Sorry about that.Ē Then the bus driverís union asks to see the ownerís books to prove that the company isnít making enough money. Especially when everything you see and read shows you that the owners are making more money than they ever have. The bus company owner says ďI donít think so. Just take the pay cut and shut up.Ē Would you tell that bus driver that he should just suck it up? Somehow I donít think so. So the argument seems to be that just because A FEW players make a ton of money over the course of their career, ALL of the players should just suck it up and take the pay cut. WITH NO JUSTIFICATION. NONE.

Those that say ďJust stop watching and in 5 years they will get new players and everything will be goodĒ. Itís actually a good idea in theory but in the big picture it doesnít WORK. First of all, players know that this game is bigger than what people are writing about. There are coaches, stadium workers, concession employees, security people and all kinds of other economic impact issues related to football. A lockout hurts those people a lot and nobody is talking about that. .

I am not looking for sympathy for myself or for players. The veteran players and players who do make the high salaries are trying to look out for not only our own interests, but the interests of those players that make less than we do, look out for the interests of the up and coming players and any future players, and look out for the interests of retired players, and also look out for the interests of the game we love.

What I suggest be done is very simple. Owners....open your books. If you are not making money, we will gladly take a percentage cut. If you arenít willing to show us your books, to me that means you canít prove you arenít making any money...so whatís the justification for a lockout of players and everyone else that works and supports football?
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Apparently, Harrison is a much better writer than he is a speaker.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    Apparently, Harrison is a much better writer than he is a speaker.

He makes a lot of valid points though and from what I've seen the owners have yet to give a valid reason why they can't open up the financial records in question. I can understand them not wanting to divulge all their finances to the public but at the same time if they want to cut salaries then there has be a justification as to why.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Harrison's piece is excellent on 2 levels.

1. It lays out the situation perfectly whereby anyone can easily understand just what the players are asking for and what their concerns are.

2. It plainly illustrates that at the end of the day, salaries aside, these guys may in fact be a small minority in this country in terms of their chosen profession, but you cannot deny their right to a fair contract any more than you can a bus driver or electrician.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Starter
    i dont like the analogy because if you disagree with your earnings you start looking for a different job .. that is where the "fair market value" he speaks of is determined ..

also, most people dont have to ask to look at financials .. in most cases it is public information ..

My Mood
    Addicted
    What I suggest be done is very simple. Owners....open your books. If you are not making money, we will gladly take a percentage cut. If you aren’t willing to show us your books, to me that means you can’t prove you aren’t making any money...so what’s the justification for a lockout of players and everyone else that works and supports football? Clap, Clap ,Clap thank u James for having the balls to tell it like it really is...

2. It plainly illustrates that at the end of the day, salaries aside, these guys may in fact be a small minority in this country in terms of their chosen profession, but you cannot deny their right to a fair contract any more than you can a bus driver or electrician. You can't make it plainer than this statement right here, this is america right?
    Last edited by HUNT4SEVEN; 03-22-2011 at 07:50 PM.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by andyg1984 View Post
    i dont like the analogy because if you disagree with your earnings you start looking for a different job .. that is where the "fair market value" he speaks of is determined ..

also, most people dont have to ask to look at financials .. in most cases it is public information ..
    I see your point, but without the power of the union in this particular case, the owners could pretty much throw whatever books and numbers they wanted to out there and the players would just have to take them at their word... Secondly, the reason this situation is so unique is because unlike many other occupations in the country, these guys can't find work in this profession anywhere else and please don't tell me Arena or UFL.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelDad View Post
    I see your point, but without the power of the union in this particular case, the owners could pretty much throw whatever books and numbers they wanted to out there and the players would just have to take them at their word... Secondly, the reason this situation is so unique is because unlike many other occupations in the country, these guys can't find work in this profession anywhere else and please don't tell me Arena or UFL.
    if your saying these guys cant find work anywhere else why use an analogy of someone who can (a bus driver) to make your point? he talks about fair-market value but if your boss is not willing to pay it that to me sounds like it is sort of inconsistent with the very concept itself ..

about the money ... so we agree that most people have access to public financial information .. but there are others who dont simply because that is "the way it is" ..ex- small business .. an employee has no right to that information .. so i just dont understand who he is appealing to ..

Quote Originally Posted by andyg1984 View Post

The NFL is the only football league which players get paid like they do. So, no... They CANNOT just go and look for another job. The NFL has a monopoly over professional football and although it is not the NFL's or players fault this is how it is. Monopolies NEED 3rd party regulation and are subject to different rules than the average career.

If you were an Electrician and a huge company buys every single electrical company in the USA, you really don't have the ability to look for another job in your field, now do you?

Now say the new electrical company says that we're going to cut all salaries by 15%. How the heck would every electrician that worked for this company feel?

Starter
    i guess i am not being clear... i am just saying i disagree with the specific analogy because it does not appeal to people who operate under a different set of rules .. not really addressing the labor mobility or the morals .. just the analogy ..

Thread Information