Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Players respond to letter sent by Goodell

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Exclamation Players respond to letter sent by Goodell

Steeler players are tweeting and Facebooking this like crazy today...

March 19, 2011
    Roger Goodell
    Commissioner
    National Football League
    280 Park Avenue
    New York, NY 10017

Dear Roger:

This responds to the letter you sent to all NFL players on March 17.
    We start by reminding you that we were there at the negotiations and know the truth about what happened, which ultimately led the players to renounce the NFLPA’s status as the collective bargaining representative of NFL players. The players took this step only as a last resort, and only after two years of trying to reach a reasonable collective bargaining agreement and three weeks of mediation with George Cohen of the FMCS. At all times during the mediation session we had representatives at the table with the authority to make a deal. The NFL representatives at the mediation did not, and the owners were mostly absent.

The mediation was the end of a two-year process started on May 18, 2009, when our Executive Director sent you a letter requesting audited financial statements to justify your opting out of the CBA (letter attached).

The NFLPA did all it could to reach a fair collective bargaining agreement and made numerous proposals to address the concerns raised by the owners. In response, the owners never justified their demands for a massive give-back which would have resulted in the worst economic deal for players in major league pro sports.
    That is why we were very troubled to see your letter, and repeated press reports by yourself, Jeff Pash, and the owners, which claim that the owners met the players halfway in the negotiations, and that the owners offered a fair deal to the players.
    Your statements are false.

We will let the facts speak for themselves.

Read the entire letter here

My Mood
    Addicted
    I find this whole thing.........pathetic, for lack of a better word. I don't care which side you are on, what political (owners/business vs players/employees) views you have or anything else. The NFL makes billions of dollars and really has more job security than almost any other business/job in this country, yet, they can't agree to share the wealth? Seriously? Does either side think the many people struggling to make ends meat (yet still supporting the NFL) really think either side has a case?

The whole thing is pathetic.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think it's ridiculous as well, and the longer this goes on the more people will really begin to get a sour taste in their mouth for the NFL. The players are employees, which means you aren't entitled to everything you think you are. In the real world if you don't like what your boss is offering then you can quit. The owners need to stop being so greedy just because they are owners; without the players they are nothing.

I just can't believe all these grown men can't figure out how to share money; well I guess I can since it's been this way since the dawn of time. Money causes more problems than anything else; and in this case there's so much of it that the greed factor is off the charts.

Duke of 531
    I hear there is a new movie coming ot this summer produced by the players union ROOTS 2...starring adrian petersen , rashard mendenhall as the slaves, and art and dan rooney and ziggy wilf as the evil slave traders...the movie starts off with adrian and rashard racing across pittsburgh in their 1975 pinto while dan and art chase them down in their H1 hummer....after cornering their quarry dan , art and ziggy place neck shackles on each of them and brand them with their teams respective logo...you'll have to buy a ticket to find out how this ends...TICKET PRICE $ 10,000,000 per person based on double occupancy six ticket limit per household...ticket limit strictly enforced...who knew dan and art had such evil hearts

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by airbrake 1 View Post
    I hear there is a new movie coming ot this summer produced by the players union ROOTS 2...starring adrian petersen , rashard mendenhall as the slaves, and art and dan rooney and ziggy wilf as the evil slave traders...the movie starts off with adrian and rashard racing across pittsburgh in their 1975 pinto while dan and art chase them down in their H1 hummer....after cornering their quarry dan , art and ziggy place neck shackles on each of them and brand them with their teams respective logo...you'll have to buy a ticket to find out how this ends...TICKET PRICE $ 10,000,000 per person based on double occupancy six ticket limit per household...ticket limit strictly enforced...who knew dan and art had such evil hearts

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united steeler nation.
    And to the franchise for which it stands. One nation of domination
    With the ability to crush you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    I find this whole thing.........pathetic, for lack of a better word. I don't care which side you are on, what political (owners/business vs players/employees) views you have or anything else. The NFL makes billions of dollars and really has more job security than almost any other business/job in this country, yet, they can't agree to share the wealth? Seriously? Does either side think the many people struggling to make ends meat (yet still supporting the NFL) really think either side has a case?

The whole thing is pathetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    I think it's ridiculous as well, and the longer this goes on the more people will really begin to get a sour taste in their mouth for the NFL. The players are employees, which means you aren't entitled to everything you think you are. In the real world if you don't like what your boss is offering then you can quit. The owners need to stop being so greedy just because they are owners; without the players they are nothing.

I just can't believe all these grown men can't figure out how to share money; well I guess I can since it's been this way since the dawn of time. Money causes more problems than anything else; and in this case there's so much of it that the greed factor is off the charts.
    Excellent posts!

I wish someone would be able to organize all NFL fans to stop buying ANYTHING nfl related, including tickets & season tickets. Boycott all network telecasts and the NFL network... at least for 1/2 a season, if not for an entire season. The Owners and Players would find out very quickly where their money is coming from. Seriously... I know that will never happen, but this whole situation and the greed from both sides just boils my blood.

"Here's an idea! Don't worry about sports and run the ****ing country!!!" - PsychoWard to Obama

Draft Pick
    The owners need to stop being so greedy just because they are owners; without the players they are nothing.

You're forgetting, that without us fans, neither of them are nothing!

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by chisteeler View Post
    You're forgetting, that without us fans, neither of them are nothing!
    Exactly!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Duke of 531
    I wish someone would be able to organize all NFL fans to stop buying ANYTHING nfl related, including tickets & season tickets
    although i'm not very pleased with this situation...the steelers will be receiving my payment for my season tickets for the 2011 season (it's due by may 2)...i would lose my seat license if payment is not made...and i promise you that isn't going to happen

My mouth has been soured since the first Browns game last season, the SB even had a weird feel for me...Dunno, I hate the direction it's taking with this goofball in charge!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Thread Information