Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Aaron Smith get his job back?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question Will Aaron Smith get his job back?

On the surface, probably the more obvious answer is yes. I mean it's Aaron Smith after all. The most underrated defensive lineman in the modern era of the NFL. Smith is big reason our defense has been so good against the run for all these years. I've been a fan of his since he came into the league. When you watch him just stand fast and hold his blockers, tying up 2 lineman on a regular basis and giving no ground at all, it's just amazing. He is extremely intelligent and can diagnose the play usually before it's even snapped. Lebeau thinks the world of him and with good reason.

Now, having said that, a certain Ziggy Hood has quietly put together a really good year. He had a great camp, but early on he did seem to get lost and manhandled. We all wondered if this kid was really going to pan out. Then by mid season he started finding his stride. He became a regular member of the opposing teams backfield and if you watch him he was improving each week in every phase of his game. Teams could no longer just stick a tight end on him, or let him alone with the RT and call it a day. I noticed that Hood was learning how to shed blocks, shoot the gap, use his power and speed to penetrate and blow up the play. He didn't have great stats, but as a defensive lineman in the 34, you never do. Clearly the Steelers defense had it's best statistical year vs the run in the modern era of football. Hood was as much a part of that success as Hampton, Keisel, or anyone else.

So I say, Smith getting his job back full time may not be a done deal. If I'm Lebeau, given Smith's injury history the last few years, I use a generous rotation of both guys right from the get go next season.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Without question.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I agree with using a rotation. It would serve 2 purposes, keep Smith healthy and give Hood valuable playing time. Now if it comes down to fighting for his starting position, Smith has the experience, determination, guts and the will to fight to bring it to anybody who wants his starting job.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

I agree 100% with the rotation of Smith and Hood. Smith should start, but Hood should be brought in and rotated frequently.

Also, isn't this Smiths last year on his current contract? I may be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

Can he survive TC?? Sir tears a lot may be out B4 the "season" begins...

Honestly, I thought Hood did very well at the end of the season and into the playoffs. I do not think that Smith should just be a token starter at this point. Yes, he has been a valuable asset to this team in the past, but the question is, "what can you do for me now?"

With Smith and Keisel aging, I would prefer to see them rotate with one another and have Hood hold a full time position somewhere along the line. We need time to develop and let's face it: He's a first round draft pick and we all bitch about how this team keeps young players, especially on defense, on the bench.

There should be a training camp battle for these guys to determine who the starters are, and I think that the primary battle will be Smith versus Keisel, not Smith versus Hood.

I see Hood locking this up in TC...

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    Honestly, I thought Hood did very well at the end of the season and into the playoffs. I do not think that Smith should just be a token starter at this point. Yes, he has been a valuable asset to this team in the past, but the question is, "what can you do for me now?"

With Smith and Keisel aging, I would prefer to see them rotate with one another and have Hood hold a full time position somewhere along the line. We need time to develop and let's face it: He's a first round draft pick and we all bitch about how this team keeps young players, especially on defense, on the bench.

There should be a training camp battle for these guys to determine who the starters are, and I think that the primary battle will be Smith versus Keisel, not Smith versus Hood.
    interesting .. can we go back in time and trade Aaron Smith for the Raiders 2011 1st round pick?

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    no since 2012 he will be another year older........I'm banking on the 2011 season being wiped out......

The Steelers should part ways with Aaron Smith. At this point in his career he's more of a liability because he's injured too much. IMHO, he should retire. He's not getting any younger (34, soon to be 35) and Hood seems to be thriving in the position that he was drafted for. I love the guy but it's time to cut him loose and move on.

Thread Information