Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible rule changes implemented in 2011?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Lightbulb Possible rule changes implemented in 2011?

Just watching the NFLN and they stated that the NFL's competition committee met today and will propose the following at the upcoming owners meetings next week:

• All scoring plays are up for review by the replay booth
    • Kickoffs would be moved up to the 35 instead of the 30
    • Touchbacks would be brought out to the 25 instead of the 20
    • Expanding rules to protect defenseless players

Given the fact that there is no NFLPA right now, I would think they would have even less problems than normal implementing that last one especially. Fortunately not every NFL owner wants changes like this so we can only hope they don't go over board with this whole "protecting defenseless players" talk. We all know where that will lead...

Starter
    the whole touchback to the 25 and moving the ball up to the 35.. i dont really understand what the motive is ..

Duke of 531
    all 4 of those rule changes suck...just what we need more delays for more reviews and more penalty flags for legal hits...they should probably move the ball back to the 15 on touchbacks with the way teams pass the ball down the field nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by andyg1984 View Post
    the whole touchback to the 25 and moving the ball up to the 35.. i dont really understand what the motive is ..
    They know the Steelers have a hard time kicking the ball off into the endzone and are trying to help us out a little.

Seriously... not sure I get the point of the kickoff & touchback changes either.

"Here's an idea! Don't worry about sports and run the ****ing country!!!" - PsychoWard to Obama

My Mood
    Love
    I read all this on espn or nfl. They suck *** and balls. Pretty soon i won't want to watch football anymore. This really blows.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    They are working really hard to ruin the game of football.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

I can't help but wonder if this business as usual approach by the NFL isn't an attempt to smoke the players union. In other words, nothing has changes for us, are you feeling the heat yet?

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Obviously, most of you know my feelings from rants and writings from during the season regarding the Czar's "crackdown on violent hits" so this really isn't a surprise that they want to start suspending guys. It's BS and everyone knows it.

I really don't have a problem with the elimination of wedge blocking. I think it may actually make kick returns more entertaining in the sense that returners will need to pick spots better rather than just follow the wedge. It could also lead to some bigger hits from guys racing downfield w/o having to run into a wedge. Then again, they'll probably get suspended.

Replay on all scores? I get it, but then again I have been against the use of IR since the beginning anyway.

I'll play devil's advocate on the kickoffs being moved up and touchbacks going to the 25... This might actually make kick returns more exciting simply because there might be more of them. Teams will be more hesitant to just bang the ball through the end zone and may actually make kickers 'place' kickoffs which is a completely missing skill IMO in today's game. I can see guys with big legs popping it up higher now rather than longer too in order to let coverage get downfield.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The competition committee comes up with all kinds of rule changes to bring up at the owners meetings. Most times if they do end up implementing any changes it's only a couple per season because a lot of owners don't like to stray from what's worked for so long. You don't normally see them making multiple wholesale changes in just 1 offseason.

Moving the kickoffs up to the 35 wouldn't make that 5yd defensive penalty on scoring play seem quite as bad as it does now.

The rule changes for the kickoffs could be really good for the Steelers. Look at Billy Cundiff. The dude just boots the ball through the back of the endzone each and every time. He's now more likely to get touchbacks and give the opponent an extra five yards.

Slightly away from the discussion on the rules, but I would like to see a return of the "coffin corner" kick...

Thread Information