Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Summary of NFL proposal...Players response to that proposal.

Bookmark and Share
    Duke of 531
    The owners really need to forget that completely idiotic idea of the 18 game season...the rooneys are against it because to them they have already sold out their 10 home games...the only extra money will be from a couple thousand ticketholders who don't show up for the pre season games and buy beer and nachos...the teams who may get some more ticket sales are teams like jacksonville, oakland and cincinnati who don't sellout their regular season games let alone the pre-season games, but i wonder how many people are going to show up week 19 when the bungals are 4-13, i'll bet not many...hopefully rooney will talk some sense into the owners and drop this stupid idea

[QUOTE=Deviouz1;416361]while someone else already covered this let me point out that the players dont agree to a commission. they agree to a contract for a set amount of $ per year with certain incentives and other AGREED UPON IN ADVANCE nuances depending on certain situations that effect the players salary which, in all cases are so overblown that its ridiculous. if they dont agree to the terms, they can, as has been pointed out previously, look to other teams for what they want.

no, they didnt. the players walked if you want to get technical. as a matter of fact they had applied for decertification while the negotiations were still underway and were decertified by 4pm last friday hours before the the deadline. the owners didnt walk, the players walked.

What I was referring to happened previously. The owners opted out of the deal they previously bargained collectively.

The current Collective Bargaining Agreement, initially negotiated in 1993, has been extended on several occasions, most recently in March 2006. The 2006 extension, which could have continued through the 2012 season, gave both the NFL and the NFLPA an option to shorten the deal by one or two years.

Interestingly, the owners now begin every press conference with the mantra that whatever happens, the deal they strike with the payers will have to be the result of the collective bargaining process.

This is at the heart of the issue. When your deal is based on a percentage of the pie, who determines what goes into the pie and what doesn't? Who defines what total revenue is when you don't trust the other side is giving you the right numbers to begin with? This lack of trust that the numbers warrant a different deal is at the heart of the matter for the players. For them, they want the teams to lift the kilt so they peek underneath. The owners want to keep much of that hidden and then just produce a number that says the total is x.

Quote Originally Posted by hit 'n run View Post
    This statement of yours is right on.

At the heart of this entire dispute is 9 billion dollars. Plus who knows how much more? All the other issues are ancillary.

How to equitably distribute the revenues from the most profitable professional sport in U.S. history?
    This is the question.
    right on and thank you!

Duke of 531
    I love how this 9 billion number always gets thrown around, i understand to the uninformed this number shocks a lot of people...but this number is very misleading this 9 billion dollar pie first gets split 32 ways, and then each teams overhead players salaries and others costs are deducted, then most teams in the NFL have multiple investors( i believe the rooneys have at least 5 major investors and 10 minor investors) each of these investors are paid out of the rooneys 1/32 of this 9 billion pot....while i'm sure the rooneys aren't going broke, there isn't the the money most think is being socked away in art and dans sock drawers...economics really needs to start being taught in american schools

I will be the first to consider my self "uninformed" because only so much gets reported. The best most of us can do is read newspapers or listen to news stories. A better understanding of economics probably wouldn't hurt. But, these arguments are hard to quantify depending on what numbers get thrown around and by whom (players or owners). The below article contains an interesting point about the pure numbers and whether or not they can be understood, even by financial experts. Numbers can be reported or used in many different ways and, if the article is accurate, the owners are content to be the only ones who can rightly interpret all of those numbers because they don't feel that team-by-team audited financial statements will tell the players what the players want to know because they wouldn't understand it.

This sounds as much like an issue of trust as it does an issue of numbers. Both sides appear to be digging in.

It's too bad that fans aren't really represented in the collective bargaining process, especially when you look at the definition of a "loss" as reported in this article.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...s_nfl_players/

Cuyahoga County, Ohio businessman and Cleveland Browns PSL holder Ken Lanci has filed a lawsuit against the Browns, the NFL, and the other 31 NFL teams on Thursday, Pat Galbincea of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reports.

In the suit, Lanci says the NFL's lockout has denied him his rights to watch all Browns games, putting the team in breach of contract. Lanci also alleges that by locking the players out, the Browns acted in bad faith. A third count of "tortious interference with contract" alleges that the NFL and its teams conspired to lockout the players, resulting in the breach of the PSL agreement.

Lanci seeks damages in excess of $25,000 for each count, as well as a preliminary injunction against the lockout.

The report describes Lanci as a 60-year old self-made millionaire who hopes "to be a voice for the average Browns fan". Though he's filed a lawsuit against the NFL, it doesn't sound as though he's overly sympathetic to the players' cause.

"The players union says NFL owners are offering what will be the worst deal ever," Lanci said according to the Plain-Dealer. "Really? How about being unemployed? Right now they get 59 percent of the take, and that's beyond comprehension.

"These players should get on their knees and be grateful they can play a game for that kind of money when so many others in this city and country are hurting financially."

My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    "The players union says NFL owners are offering what will be the worst deal ever," Lanci said according to the Plain-Dealer. "Really? How about being unemployed? Right now they get 59 percent of the take, and that's beyond comprehension.

"These players should get on their knees and be grateful they can play a game for that kind of money when so many others in this city and country are hurting financially."

quitcherbitchinandgettowork

Good quick read on state of affairs from LA Times.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,4831322.story

Are you reday for some football??????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Deviouz1 View Post

quitcherbitchinandgettowork
    then add this.

the miami dolphins sold for 1.1 billion... so the new owner had to open his wallet for this billion...

so, do the dolphin players have to give the owner 59% or $610,000,000.00 to help pay for the team?

funny how the NFLPA makes things sound

My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    then add this.

the miami dolphins sold for 1.1 billion... so the new owner had to open his wallet for this billion...

so, do the dolphin players have to give the owner 59% or $610,000,000.00 to help pay for the team?

funny how the NFLPA makes things sound
    ?

ive absolutely no idea what would make you think that that would make sense.(actually after re-reading that i think that was kind of your point lol. as such )

personally i dont think the players have a right to anything made from TV deals whatsoever. maybe royalties for individually specific usage of their names like jerseys and bobble-head dolls or whatever, that would make sense to me, but as far as im concerned the players are nothing more than contracted employees. as such they should be paid whatever they accepted in their contract for their time and expertise and not a penny more.

they decided to make a living playing a violent game and they are paid handsomely to do so. it seems ridiculous to me that anyone making the kind of money that even 3rd stringers make has a damn thing to bitch about. the average 3-4 year contract in and of itself pays enough to allow someone to live, for the rest of their lives if theyre smart, in a fairly comfortable way without ever having to work again. what other profession can say the same? a professional lottery winner?

the median yearly salary for the Rams, ie; the lowest in the league, is $537,990
    for the 49ers, ie; the highest in the league, $1,177,280
    http://content.usatoday.com/sportsda.../salaries/team

i would literally sell my balls and the hairy sack they came in for HALF of what the highest paid players make over the course of their careers. phillip rivers made over 25 mil during the 09-10 season. for playing a friggin GAME dude. and these people are crying about not making enough money? somebody needs a spanking for being an ungrateful douchenozzle.

Last edited by Deviouz1; 04-04-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Thread Information