Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much longer until a replacement is needed for Hampton?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question How much longer until a replacement is needed for Hampton?

The Big Snack has been with the Steelers since 2001 when Cowher drafted him. He's been rock solid, a perfect replacement for beast that was Joel Steed. Hampton is now 33 and to this point has not played like he's losing any steam at all if you ask me. He does his job by tying up blockers week in and week out, year after year. He's a pro bowler and considered one of the best Nose Tackles in the league annually. This past year was no exception; he was still able to play at a high level and was the only one of the 3 starting defensive lineman to play every game in 2010 if I remember right.

In any event, he's not getting any younger and a 34 defense does not work without a top flight Nose Tackle. That position is just too important to have an average player there. He may not get all the accolades that the linebackers get but if Casey isn't in the game it's noticeable. I would think that sometime in the next year or two at the very latest the Steelers are going to have to draft a stud Nose Tackle and groom him to take over for Casey. Regardless of other needs this will have to be a position of importance in the very near future.

My Mood
    Devilish
    agreed. but at this point i think its still fairly safe to let the draft determine when we get a replacement. if no one sufficient presents himself this time, then maybe next year, if not then then i honestly dont have any doubt that hampton can keep it up for yet another year. the thing is that im not convinced he's going to WANT to play that long. he'll be in his 11th season next year, i believe, and its more than likely he'll be retiring fairly soon depending on how he feels his body is withstanding the punishment.

regardless, i dont think 13 seasons is outside the realm of possibility. the sooner the better so the heir can work with hampton for a season or two before jumping into the mix but i dont forsee it being a real problem to be honest. i mean when was the last time we had a "bad" NT?

My Mood
    Impatient
    I would love to see Hampton's replacement drafted this year. But, we will see. I even think maybe drafting a guy this year, signing Hoke to a 1 year contract and hopefully rotating the new guy in after that. I think Hampton will play out his three year deal, but I dont think anymore than that, so 2 more seasons.

Gief Phil taylor!
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Throw Bruce Arians in there, can you say steam rolled! lol
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    I would love to see Hampton's replacement drafted this year. But, we will see. I even think maybe drafting a guy this year, signing Hoke to a 1 year contract and hopefully rotating the new guy in after that. I think Hampton will play out his three year deal, but I dont think anymore than that, so 2 more seasons.
    The Steelers aren't afraid to cut a player loose when he gets towards the end of his career, even high profile players. I would say at this point Casey will still be here for a couple years yet but definitely they will have to replace him soon. If *knock on wood* the Steelers were to win a super bowl next season he would probably retire. There were rumors that he'd hang up the cleats if the Steelers had won this past Super Bowl.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    Gief Phil taylor!
    yeah, i think if taylor is there at 31 (which I doubt he will be) we would have a high chance of taking him ..

lets not forget too that we passed on cody in the 2nd last year.. towards the end of the season he looked good ...

there are a bunch of examples where longevity is not a big issue for space-eaters like hampton .. interesting topic ..

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Another solid thread BRC, you're on fire this week! This has been the one thought I've had for awhile now heading into the draft. We know we need DB and OL, but the next NT has been rattling around my skull for awhile too. I can definitely see us going int his direction somewhere in the draft. I think Hampton has been outstanding for us and if he keeps his weight in check, I think he'll have another good year, but a younger replacement is becoming more and more necessary.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

id love taylor...im almost pissed he raised his stock so much. hes perfect for us. i like kendrick ellis and jarvis jenkins alot too

If Available in this order...

M. Pouncey G
    Carimi OT
    P. Taylor NT
    R. Moore S
    M. Wilson ILB had surgery on neck but farrior is just to slow to blitz the middle.
    A. Williams CB
    S. Wiesinski G

Thread Information