Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secret talks being held to help end lockout

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Secret talks being held to help end lockout

It will be looked at as a sign of progress, as ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter is reporting today that the NFL Lockout could have see it’s biggest movement in months this past week.

Schefter is reporting that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell along with a couple of owners (Jerry Jones of the Cowboys among them) had a secret meeting with the NFLPA to try and start bridging the gap of what needs to get settled for this lockout to end.

The meeting took place at a hotel in Chicago, and it is not known exactly how long the metting went for. The lockout needs to hurry up and get settled or the league is going to have to start looking at the possibility of cancelling preseason games and possilby training camp.

“They have made some progress,” Schefter said. “It’s not like a deal is immanent, it’s not that it will happen this point this week, but what they are doing is laying a foundation to try and get a deal done at some point this month, by the end of the month, before the judges would weigh in.”

The fact that the two sides are meeting is a HUGE step, and one that is in the right direction.

I heard this a couple days ago. Apparently they flew into a small Chicago airport on private jets and Rooney was another of the owners there.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The NFL and its players are meeting for a third straight day of mediation that was not scheduled to begin until next week.

Commissioner Roger Goodell and several owners were joined Thursday by NFLPA chief DeMaurice Smith and a group of players before a U.S. magistrate judge.

Two people with knowledge of the talks told The Associated Press the sessions from Tuesday and Wednesday resumed Thursday morning near Chicago. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because the meetings were supposed to be secret.
    One person says various issues are being discussed, but "to characterize it as progress might not be accurate." Judge Arthur Boylan was to resume mediation June 7 in Minneapolis, but got the sides together early.

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft are among those on hand. However, not all of the 32 league owners were made aware of the meetings before they began.
    In the past, that has been a step toward successful negotiations between the league and NFLPA. Such clandestine meetings between former union executive director Gene Upshaw and former Commissioner Paul Tagliabue often led to progress on a new collective bargaining agreement.

"Both sides understand there needs to be a timetable toward getting an agreement," one person said. "There's hope this will speed up that timetable."

A hearing in St. Louis on the NFL's appeal of a ruling blocking its lockout begins Friday. Lifting the lockout was delayed by an appeals panel until the full appeal could be heard. Goodell, Smith and several owners are expected to be in court Friday.
    But the 8th District's Court of Appeals is not expected to rule on the legality of the lockout for weeks. So a resumption of talks in the interim could speed a deal.
    Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay said last week he believed some decisions on opening training camps in late July needed to be made by July 4.

Duke of 531
    I though that there was not an NFLPA any longer...they disbanded correct why should the owners keep talking to a defunct entity...anytime i see jerry jones and robert kraft's name mentioned in this whole mess it make me shiver because i promise they are two of the owners who would like to see the NFL go to a baseball type system where they could try to buy championships
    Last edited by airbrake 1; 06-03-2011 at 07:19 PM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Jerry Jones especially, if guys like him and Dan Snyder in Washington have anything to say about. You are right, they have officially disbanded because there is no union anymore. They are technically a trade organization. I suppose people just refer to them as the NFLPA because it's just who they are when it comes down to it.

I don't know how much faith anybody has in these extra talks but I suppose it's better than them just sitting around doing nothing like they have been in between court visits.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Supposedly, progress is being made from reports. And now there is a rumor that this thing can be resolved in 3 weeks. So it's doing some good.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Manic
    i really dont think that the players want a no salary cap system i think that they want the same deal they had last year they said it over and over and lets face facts the current 2010 system works good balance the only thing i would change is a rookie wage scale based on draft position

Yeah right secret meeting and I'm reading about it on this blog? What a joke, this is just about putting the fork in the players roasted butts. Regardless of how you feel about this, the owners will always have the upper hand in these negotiations, the players will fold as they always do in this sport, and as I stated previously, we will have a crappy product until these players get their stuff together after such a long lay off.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    One wonders how much of those rumors are just PR moves to try and boost morale. I hope it's true though. The closer we get to July the bigger chance we have of missing training camp and then a snowball affect for the season.

With the fate now in the hands of the courts and the urgent statements by the judge for both parties to resolve this, hopefully that's enough to get their butts in gear. When a judge tells you that you won't like the outcome if they decide this case; well that should be more than enough motivation to figure it out on your own.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    More "secret" talks being held

The NFL and players resumed what were described as "very serious talks" on Tuesday, according to sources, in an attempt to build off last week's secret negotiations in suburban Chicago, and work toward a resolution to end the three-month-old lockout.

The exact location of this set of talks remains unknown, though NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reports they are taking place in the New York area. The NFL declined comment on the matter.

Last week's meeting lasted three days, running into Friday's hearing at the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in St. Louis, on the NFL's appeal of a lockout-lifting injunction granted to the players by a district court. Following that set of talks, the league and players put out a joint statement.

"The parties met pursuant to court mediation," the statement said. "Owners and players were engaged in confidential discussions before Chief Magistrate Judge Boylan. The court has ordered continued confidentiality of the mediation sessions."
    Both sides in this week's negotiating sessions are using the same cast of characters as last week, a source with knowledge of the situation told La Canfora.

Owners Jerry Jones (Dallas Cowboys), Robert Kraft (New England Patriots), Jerry Richardson (Carolina Panthers), Art Rooney (Pittsburgh Steelers) and John Mara (New York Giants) -- all members of the NFL's labor committee -- were in attendance last week, as were active players Mike Vrabel, Brian Dawkins, Tony Richardson and Jeff Saturday, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith and NFLPA president Kevin Mawae.

The set up of the talks is scheduled to be the same as well, taking place over several days as both sides try to build momentum from one sessions to the next and find some consistency with the dynamics of the negotiations.

These talks were unexpected after Boylan publicly cancelled the court-ordered mediation set to begin on Tuesday. Sources indicate Boylan moved to cancel this week's mediation in the interest of confidentiality.

When asked about the next meeting during an appearance at a military base in Fort Bragg, N.C., last Friday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said, "We will be meeting again." Goodell declined to comment on when, but did strike an optimistic tone.
    "I think it's fair to say anytime you have dialogue directly, that's going to lead to progress," he told reporters. "I think we need more of that. As you've heard me say many times, I think this is going to be solved through bargaining, not through litigation. So that (Chicago meeting) was a positive sign for us."

Thread Information