Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Players still firmly entrenched and united but are the fans?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Arrow Players still firmly entrenched and united but are the fans?

Not much happening these days on the Labor front; some news here and there about the NFL trying to convince the courts to not block the lockout. While we don't expect much to happen in the near future one thing is clear, the players are still all about standing united in this battle. You can still read on their Facebook and Tweets how they are united and believe in their cause. Even though it's still fresh in their minds, they do seem to be in good spirits overall, atleast that's the impression I get.

Many players are having contests to win autographs, jersey's, footballs, etc. to help pass the time. Some will ask trivia questions and just generally interact with the fans. March madness is a big topic, and Woodley tweets all during the games.

They all realize what is at stake but so far they seem pretty content to chill.

IMO it won't really start to hit home until after the draft, and perhaps by then we'll see some urgency on both sides.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Is this lockout starting leave a sour taste in your mouth yet? I know it is for me, but it's still "ok" for right now because the draft isn't here yet. Once that hits and we continue to not get any updates on the players that are drafted and what not it's really going to suck.

Atleast with the Steelers they are somewhat fortunate in that they aren't installing wholesale changes to their team like others are can't do anything until a deal is reached.

Assistant Coach nuclearchihuahuas's Avatar
    I'm hoping this upheaval in the normal season activities, totally voids the SB curse for the Steelers this year. If the season ever gets underway, the Steelers have the team to win it all (with the drafting of or free agency acquisition of an OT, CB, and DE).
    :logospin:

My Mood
    Cool
    I got hit with the double whammy.

As a fan, this irritates me to no end, and as a writer, it gives me literally nothing to work with except draft articles, prediction pieces and labor issues. Draft stuff gets old after you read 25 scouting reports for the same guy, predictions are fun sometimes, but get tedious when that's all you can do, and literally no one wants to read about the labor dispute because those all turn into opinion pieces and you don't care what some outsiders opinion is lol.

Though, I did get Ryan Clark (or likely someone posing to be Clark) to comment on Steel Hurtin. :shifty:

EDIT: I really need the :shifty: smiley lol.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Listening to Sirius the other day I was reminded of just how much the fans are tired of this. We are football fans, we are fans of what is supposed to be the best sport in the world. A sport that learned it lesson from the strike in the 80's and learned from the mistakes in the NHL, MLB, and the NBA. Here we are now experiencing this first hand, making our sport no better than any other when it comes right down to it. When the greed and deceit of both parties comes to a head like this; where human beings can't figure out how to divvy up 9 billion dollars. It's disgraceful. Both parties may be right in some areas, but both are clearly also wrong in some areas too.

What annoys me just as much as this labour dispute is some of these rule changes that they are implementing. This kickoff rule is widely disliked by fans, many coaches, and players. Yet the NFL competition committee passes it.

Football has changed so much in the past 10-15 years. So much emphasis on the passing game now... Trying to get high scores to appeal to a larger fanbase while no doubt irritating fans like me who love smash mouth defensive football games.

It's not close to leaving a sour taste in my mouth yet. All the comments from both sides are actually comical to me because they both are full if ****. If they miss training camp it will start , but I won't get real sour until they start canceling games.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's all the sports talk radio shows callers ever talk anymore. They beat the same topics over and over with this problem and virtually everyone feels the same way. We still have some hope that on April 6 we might get some additional news and developments when the Minnesota judge rules on if the lockout can continue. It would be something if the courts ruled to block the lockout.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    It's not close to leaving a sour taste in my mouth yet. All the comments from both sides are actually comical to me because they both are full if ****. If they miss training camp it will start , but I won't get real sour until they start canceling games.
    I agree with you. Once I start losing my beloved games, I will hulk out.

Well, maybe I won't hulk out. I will, at the very least, do a lot of bitching and moaning.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I really hope the court rules against the lockout, that should bring everyone back to the table. Maybe the fact that some retired NFL players have been added to the suit will help. They are suing so their retirement and health benefits will continue. Supposedly, under a lockout, they won't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Thread Information