Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rams release O.J. Atogwe

Bookmark and Share

Rams release O.J. Atogwe

Rams Release S O.J. Atogwe

The St. Louis Rams have released veteran safety O.J. Atogwe, Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.

Atogwe signed a five-year, $32.1 million contract last June that included a $2.1 million base salary and $10 million in roster bonuses.

The first bonus, which was due on July 1, was worth $2 million and was paid. An $8 million roster bonus was due if Atogwe was on the club's 80-man roster on February 21.

According to a league source, Atogwe was also able to void the deal via a "Valentine's Day Massacre" clause, which required Atogwe to notify the Rams of his intention to void the contract by February 14.

For obvious reasons, $8 million of them, that did not happen, and now the Rams have terminated the deal before that payment was due.

A third-round pick out of Stanford in 2005, Atogwe has started 75 games for the Rams over the last six seasons, totaling 390 tackles, 5 quarterback sacks, and 22 interceptions.

--- Added 2/18/2011 at 06:11 PM ---

Asomugha, who turns 30 in July, has experienced his own Raiders history. He was one of Cable's biggest supporters, and surely is disappointed to see his first ever nonlosing season punctuated with the firing of the coach.

If he is skeptical, it's valid. He has been a Raider long enough to realize they follow not the arc of logic but the arc of Al's standards and, moreover, his moods.

With Asomugha's intellect, his desire to excel and, most of all, his grasp of history, how can he not find at least a dozen teams where his chance of earning a Super Bowl ring are better than they would be in Oakland?

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Yes they would be awesome, but at what cost???

Sign them!

I see a 0% chance of Asomugha in the black and gold due to the price tag.

I could see Atogwe being a potential acquisition; however, he probably wouldn't be allowed to step on the field. He wouldn't replace Troy and the team is gung ho on keeping Clark in because he calls the plays.

My Mood
    Fine
    We all love Namdi but it aint happening. He'll be a Jet or Eagle, We dont/wont pay.
    I'd rather they spent money on grabbing O Lineman Ravens Gaither and/or Yanda or Falcons Clabo and/or Dahl. Cowboys Doug Free & DE Marcus Spears.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Steelers aren't going out and signing a big time Safety so perish that thought. They are of course looking to address CB. We've already talked about Nnamdi; but it's a pipe dream right now, he'll want too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    I see a 0% chance of Asomugha in the black and gold due to the price tag.

I could see Atogwe being a potential acquisition; however, he probably wouldn't be allowed to step on the field. He wouldn't replace Troy and the team is gung ho on keeping Clark in because he calls the plays.
    The Capless Team is looking at him....

O.J. Atogwe to Visit the Redskins
    Free agent safety O.J. Atogwe will visit the Washington Redskins on Monday, Howard Balzer of 101 ESPN in St. Louis reports.

Atogwe was released by the St. Louis Rams on Friday, three days before an $8 million roster bonus came due.

A third-round pick out of Stanford by the Rams in 2005, Atogwe has started 75 of 88 games in his six-year NFL career, totaling 390 tackles, 5 quarterback sacks, and 22 interceptions.

We'll be back next year with the same ole turds, bank on it!!

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    The Capless Team is looking at him....

O.J. Atogwe to Visit the Redskins
    Free agent safety O.J. Atogwe will visit the Washington Redskins on Monday, Howard Balzer of 101 ESPN in St. Louis reports.

Atogwe was released by the St. Louis Rams on Friday, three days before an $8 million roster bonus came due.

A third-round pick out of Stanford by the Rams in 2005, Atogwe has started 75 of 88 games in his six-year NFL career, totaling 390 tackles, 5 quarterback sacks, and 22 interceptions.
    Snyder is like a kid playing fantasy football, unfortunately, he can't put a team together. I would rather have the Redskins in our division than the Browns because as long as Snyder is there, they will not be a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    We'll be back next year with the same ole turds, bank on it!!
    "Turds" that got us to the Superbowl...

One good draft pick at CB would make the world of difference.

Thread Information