Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young named AP Offensive Rookie of Year

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Young named AP Offensive Rookie of Year

NEW YORK -- Vince Young looks as if he'll make the NFL his personal playground, too.

The dynamic quarterback for the Tennessee Titans won the Associated Press Offensive Rookie of the Year Award on Wednesday. He did it in the same fashion he turned around the Titans' season -- running away from the rest of the field.

Young, who led Texas to the 2005 national championship and was the third overall pick in last April's draft, overwhelmed one of the strongest rookie classes in NFL history. He received 23 votes from a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the league.

That easily beat New Orleans wide receiver Marques Colston and Jacksonville running back Maurice Drew, who had nine apiece; San Diego tackle Marcus McNeill (6); and Saints running back Reggie Bush (3).

That easily beat New Orleans wide receiver Marques Colston and Jacksonville running back Maurice Drew, who had nine apiece; San Diego tackle Marcus McNeill (6); and Saints running back Reggie Bush (3).

Vince Young defied many experts who said he was far too raw to play as an NFL rookie. (US Presswire)
    Running back Carnell "Cadillac" Williams of Tampa Bay won the award last year. Young is the third member of the Tennessee-Houston franchise to take top rookie honors: Earl Campbell in 1978 and Eddie George in 1996 did it for the Houston Oilers.

Young was the catalyst in Tennessee' rally from 0-5 to 8-8, at times looking as unstoppable for the Titans as he did with the Longhorns. A starter from Week 4, Young sprinkled all kinds of spectacular big plays with a growing maturity in joining Ben Roethlisberger (2004) as the only quarterbacks to win top rookie honors in the 49-year history of the award.

"A lot of people said it couldn't be done, especially at my position," Young said Wednesday from Houston. "I just worked hard to get to that position behind the scenes, to get to the point of getting into the race of trying to get rookie of the year."

Young became the first rookie quarterback to rush for more than 500 yards in the Super Bowl era, and his passing skills improved all year under coach Jeff Fisher and offensive coordinator Norm Chow.

"I like to go out there and play the game and show that I can deliver the ball down the field, and that I can use my legs at the right time, when its time to use my legs, and checking the ball down, just being a quarterback," Young said. "I want to change the game a little bit."

He's already helped change the perception of what a first-year quarterback can do given playing time. Young sat and learned for barely a month while Kerry Collins started and the Titans struggled. Then Fisher turned to the youngster well before he'd planned.

And Young delivered as the Titans threatened to become the first team to lose its opening five games and then make the playoffs. They were in contention until the final weekend, thanks greatly to a six-game winning streak that included a remarkable comeback from 21-0 down in the final 10 minutes to beat the Giants.

"Everything took off from that game," Young admitted.

"He was very prepared when he got here because of the experience he had in college," said Fisher, who along with Tennessee's scouts and general manager Floyd Reese chose Young over Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler in the draft. "We knew that he had a chance to improve and obviously that's why we went ahead and started him when we did. We felt like he was ready."

Chow, who worked with Heisman Trophy winners Leinart and Carson Palmer at Southern California, is considered one of the finest teachers of quarterbacks in the business. What does he like most about Young, who left Texas after his junior season?

"Besides the physical skills, it's the will and the strength inside, the 'it' factor that a quarterback either has or doesn't have," Chow said. "Obviously, he has it. The quickness in which he won the team over and the quickness in which he became the leader, the guy everybody looked up to, that was special.

"Vince Young has this great ability to lift others around him. To see him do it so quickly, that wasn't a surprise, but it was certainly good to see."

Perhaps Young's finest moment was a 39-yard TD run in overtime to beat Houston, his hometown team which bypassed the Lone Star State hero to take defensive end Mario Williams atop the draft. There seemed to be as many Titans No. 10 jerseys in Reliant Stadium as any Texans shirts.

"It was a great ending," Young said. "Being from Houston and being in front of my family and the fans that respect me as a player and a person, as well, it can't get any better than that."
    He was a game changer at Texas, looks like he'll be doing the same thing in the NFL.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

I was just reading this out on yahoo and IMO I disagree with Young being the AP Rookie of the year! What about Marques Colston of the Saints who only had 70 catches for 1038 yards and 8 TD's!

Vince young had a QB rating that would him atop the leader board of a PGA event (66) and threw 13 INT's and only 12 TD's just because he is a QB he gets the award

House of Steel
    I am with you on that one, AZ. I am shocked here. Marquis got robbed big time.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I don't know what is involved in the voting. Is it how much they contribute to the team? How they've improved it by themselves? IMHO Colston had a great year but if it wasn't for NO getting Brees he would not have had that year with Brooks. They also had Bush and McAllister. Whereas Young had what? WR's? Bennett, Wade, Jones? D? and the Titans finished 8-8. When the season started it was back and forth between Young and Collins and after 6 weeks the Titans were 1-5. When they finally gave the starting gig to Young he was 7-3 as a starter. Yeah he didn't have impressive passing numbers but he also had 552 yards on 83 carries for a 6.7 average with 7 TD's. He changed the Titans season around after going 4-12 in 2005. Thats just my opinion I think Young deserves it whereas Colston does to but not for the same reasons, he didn't change an entire teams 2006 season and the outlook of a brighter future.....

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

I agree deez,,,,,,,,I thought maurice jones drew should've gotten it over young !

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburghnation View Post
    I agree deez,,,,,,,,I thought maurice jones drew should've gotten it over young !
    I thought he would of been a good pick for the Steelers too!
    Last edited by Captcoolhand; 01-04-2007 at 12:43 AM.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    colston was not robbed, he missed games and he didn't have the responsibilty vince had....colston had an all around good team that helped him be the player he was

vince single handedly won games for the titans, i am so sick of you fools looking at stats, since when does stats matter more then wins??? if it wasn't for vince the titans would have never even had a chance at making the playoffs

the saints would've had the same season without colston
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    I don't know what is involved in the voting. Is it how much they contribute to the team? How they've improved it by themselves? IMHO Colston had a great year but if it wasn't for NO getting Brees he would not have had that year with Brooks. They also had Bush and McAllister. Whereas Young had what? WR's? Bennett, Wade, Jones? D? and the Titans finished 8-8. When the season started it was back and forth between Young and Collins and after 6 weeks the Titans were 1-5. When they finally gave the starting gig to Young he was 7-3 as a starter. Yeah he didn't have impressive passing numbers but he also had 552 yards on 83 carries for a 6.7 average with 7 TD's. He changed the Titans season around after going 4-12 in 2005. Thats just my opinion I think Young deserves it whereas Colston does to but not for the same reasons, he didn't change an entire teams 2006 season and the outlook of a brighter future.....
    holy ****, someone with some damn sense lol

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    I was just reading this out on yahoo and IMO I disagree with Young being the AP Rookie of the year! What about Marques Colston of the Saints who only had 70 catches for 1038 yards and 8 TD's!

Vince young had a QB rating that would him atop the leader board of a PGA event (66) and threw 13 INT's and only 12 TD's just because he is a QB he gets the award
    read this part again

Young was the catalyst in Tennessee' rally from 0-5 to 8-8, at times looking as unstoppable for the Titans as he did with the Longhorns. A starter from Week 4, Young sprinkled all kinds of spectacular big plays with a growing maturity in joining Ben Roethlisberger (2004) as the only quarterbacks to win top rookie honors in the 49-year history of the award.
    it had nothing to do with him being a qb, it had everything to do with what matters the most and that's the W

House of Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand View Post
    I thought he would of been a good pick for the Steelers too!
    Ummmmm....Capt.....We are talking about rookie of the year offensively, not draft picks.

Thread Information