Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: If we were to trade a veteran...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Love
    Who the hell said we should trade Troy? Not in my lifetime. I ain't mad at you. Troy would have to be playing like Neil O'Donnell to get traded.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    No offense to anyone, but is the 'Madden Effect' at work here? Some folks around SA, including myself, may have played a little too much Madden and pulled off way too many trades. Trades just don't happen in the NFL like they do in other pro leagues and I just don't see us pulling off anything reagardless of who it is.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    We have to get younger on defense while improving the O-line and secondary. It's going to be tough to pull it off. We may unfortunately have to take a step back.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    We have to get younger on defense while improving the O-line and secondary. It's going to be tough to pull it off. We may unfortunately have to take a step back.
    No doubt about it. It's the age of free agency and the draft 24/7 which makes the job of Colbert and staff that much tougher. We have to get guys like Butler,Sylvester, Worilds, etc on the field and not on the bench which means they better step up or we have to do a better job of searching for talent.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    I dont think they are all important, why not trade troy for 4 picks in the first two rnds? yea he is a playmaker, but when will he actually play even 15 games a year.
    You won't get 4 picks in the first two rounds. That's ludicrous. He had a terrible post season and he's been injured for most of the last two years.

Oh and by the way, have you seen what kind of crap the D turns into when Troy doens't play? And you want to trade him?????

Let's step out of fantasy land and back into what I like to think of as reality.

--- Added 2/12/2011 at 12:50 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
    We could get a first for Woodley, no questions about it.
    Woodley is a free agent. You couldn't get a warm bucket of spit for him.

--- Added 2/12/2011 at 12:55 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    I agree. The best thing they can do is have a really really good draft, and find some guys who can contribute in the later rounds, while getting an impact player early on.

Just because the D is old doesn't mean there's a short window. It means they have to be much better and very lucky in acquiring players.

My Mood
    Cool
    The Franchise tag is probably going to Woodley, especially since he's already expressed interest in it.

Rookie Free Agent Mr. Goosemahn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    You won't get 4 picks in the first two rounds. That's ludicrous. He had a terrible post season and he's been injured for most of the last two years.

Oh and by the way, have you seen what kind of crap the D turns into when Troy doens't play? And you want to trade him?????

Let's step out of fantasy land and back into what I like to think of as reality.
    Agreed, there's absolutely no reason to trade Troy. I'd much rather have an injury-prone Troy than not, as our defense definitely collapses without him. He's the glue that holds it all together. And I wouldn't say he had a terrible post-season, he just failed to make any statistical difference. He definitely adjusts coverages and throws, which is something truly valuable for us.

Woodley is a free agent. You couldn't get a warm bucket of spit for him.
    I know he's a free agent, I was talking about player value and what they're worth in a trade. If we had any plans of trading him, at all, we'd franchise tag him (at least) and then trade him.

I agree. The best thing they can do is have a really really good draft, and find some guys who can contribute in the later rounds, while getting an impact player early on.

Just because the D is old doesn't mean there's a short window. It means they have to be much better and very lucky in acquiring players.
    Actually, yes, yes, it does. Our team's success is directly linked with our defense's performance. When our defense is great (08) we win a Superbowl. When our defense is mediocre (09), we miss the playoffs. When our defense is good (10) we make the playoffs, but can't win it all. Our defense is the reason we win or lose, as our offense plays off of them, not the other way around. I'd much rather it be the other way around, with our offense being a smart combination of the running game and keeping long drives alive, as well as closing out games. But we just can't do that.

Our defense being old, combined with the fact that we don't have young bodies to replace most starters, means there's going to be around a three year gap where we'll transition from our unit to the next unit. This gap is where we'll acquire the young players, accustom them to our defense and style of play, ans evaluate if they are worth keeping around. And it would be a three year gap if everything goes well, which is being optimistic.

Assuming we invest 5 of our 7 picks on defense this year, we'd need to find a NT, DE, not one but two safeties, and a CB. It is possible to do? Yes. But unfortunately, not very likely. Focusing on our real success rate with the draft during the Tomlin and Colbert era, here's a breakdown of our success:

1. LB Lawrence Timmons, Florida State
    2. DE/OLB LaMarr Woodley, Michigan
    3. TE Matt Spaeth, Minnesota
    4. P Daniel Sepulveda, Baylor
    4. DT/DE Ryan McBean, Oklahoma State
    5. OG Cameron Stephenson, Rutgers
    5. CB William Gay, Louisville
    7. WR Dallas Baker, Florida

Total Players: 8
    Offensive Players: 4
    Defensive Players: 4
    Eventual Consistent Starters: 3 (counting Sepulveda but not Gay)
    Players still with team: 5

1. RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
    2. WR Limas Sweed, Texas
    3. DE/OLB Bruce Davis, UCLA
    4. OT Tony Hills, Texas
    5. QB Dennis Dixon, Oregon
    6. LB Mike Humpal, Iowa
    6. S Ryan Mundy, West Virginia

Total Players: 7
    Offensive Players: 4
    Defensive Players: 3
    Eventual Consistent Starters: 1

1. DT/DE Ziggy Hood, Missouri
    3. OG Kraig Urbik, Wisconsin
    3. WR Mike Wallace, Ole Miss
    3. CB Keenan Lewis, Oregon State
    5. CB Joe Burnett, Central Florida
    5. RB/FB Frank Summers, UNLV
    6. DT Ra'Shon Harris, Oregon
    7. C A.Q. Shipley, Penn State
    7. TE/FB David Johnson, Arkansas State

Total Players: 9
    Offensive Players: 5
    Defensive Players: 4
    Eventual Consistent Starters: 2 (counting Ziggy Hood)

1. C Maurkice Pouncey, Florida
    2. DE/OLB Jason Worilds, Virginia Tech
    3. WR Emmanuel Sanders, SMU
    4. DE/OLB Thaddeus Gibson, Ohio State
    5. OT Chris Scott, Tennessee
    5. CB Crezdon Butler, Clemson
    5. LB Stevenson Sylvester, Utah
    6. RB Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech
    6. WR Antonio Brown, Central Michigan
    7. DT Doug Worthington, Ohio State

Total players: 10
    Offensive Players: 5
    Defensive Players: 5
    Eventual Consistent Starters: 2 (counting Emmanuel Sanders)
    Players Still with team: 8

Putting it all together:

Total players: 34
    Offensive players: 18
    Defensive players: 16
    Eventual Consistent Starters: 8
    Players still with team: 23

Basically, 68% of the players we draft remain for the team for at least one year. 53% of our drafted players are offensive players, while 47% are defensive. 24% of the players we draft become starters.

Putting all these stats together for this year's draft, we're going to have a very balanced combination of offensive and defensive players. I predict 4 defensive and 3 offensive, even if the stats show it's slightly the opposite. Finally, the stats show that one out of every four picks becomes a starter, which might originally seem a good ratio, but it's not nearly that good. With that average, we'd pick one, maybe two starters this upcoming draft.

All these numbers combined lead me to believe that there is simply no way we can completely rebuild the defense without any major bumps during the transition. We'd have to take defensive players in the first two rounds for the next three years with a perfect success rate, and still get a piece here and there in free agency. During these years, the team will depend on the offense to win, as the defense will be much more vulnerable that it is right now.

I know my posts might seem pessimistic, but that's just how I see things. I'm not a pessimist though, haha, at all. I'm actually with you when it comes to hoping we pull off a great draft and whatnot, but it's just not likely :S

My Mood
    Love

Steelers' Ike Taylor ready to cash in?

Sports Xchange www.foxsports.com
    LEN PASQUARELLI

Given their uncanny ability to draft, develop and advance players, the Pittsburgh Steelers rarely lose a veteran for whom they don't have a ready and able replacement. But the AFC champions might be out of luck in supplanting corner Ike Taylor if he departs via free agency.

Taylor's agent, Joel Segal, told The Sports Xchange this week that there have been "zero negotiations" to date and that he expects the eight-year veteran to be "a very hot guy" in free agency.

He might be right.

It could be time to break out of the closet those old, dusty, "I Like Ike" campaign buttons from the 1950s and polish 'em up.

Taylor has some of the poorest hands in the league among cornerbacks, and drops more than his share of would-be interceptions. But coaches, particularly defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, regard him highly. He is the closest thing Pittsburgh has to a "shutdown" cornerback and is a terrific fit for the Steelers' system, a guy who is rarely out of position in coverage and plays the run well.

It's hard to say what the Steelers would do without Taylor, who will be an unrestricted free agent no matter the resolution of CBA discussions, and who seems destined to test the open market.

"I've been (in Pittsburgh) my whole career, and I'd like to finish with the Steelers," said Taylor, a fourth-round pick in 2003. "It's my home, and I really don't know anything else. But (stuff) happens, so we'll see."

Taylor signed a five-year, $22.5 million extension just before the start of the 2006 season, but that deal will expire, and it will likely cost the Steelers a lot more to keep him. Despite the success of Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers in last week's title game, Taylor played pretty well in Super Bowl XLV. Rodgers clearly targeted corners Bryant McFadden and William Gay throughout the game. On one of the game's biggest plays, a third-and-10 completion to Greg Jennings up the seam, Taylor had excellent coverage, but Rodgers lofted the ball just over his finger tips.

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert acknowledged last week the Steelers are "definitely behind" on some negotiations because of their appearance in the Super Bowl, but emphasized Taylor is a priority for the club. However the team is expected to use a franchise tag on linebacker LaMarr Woodley, so retaining Taylor could be a stretch.

As of Thursday night there were no discussions planned as the Steelers, like many teams in the league, wait for CBA negotiations to play out.

Pittsburgh has drafted four cornerbacks in four years — Gay (fifth round, 2007), Keenan Lewis (third round, 2009), Joe Burnett (fifth round, 2009) and Crezdon Butler (fifth round, 2010) — and none seems ready enough yet to step in. Gay started 14 games in 2009, but was inadequate enough that the Steelers re-acquired McFadden in a trade. Gay is seen more as a nickel defender than a starter in the "base" defense.

Around the league
    Corner market: So why might Taylor have a healthy market, even though he has just 11 interceptions in eight seasons, and has only once posted more than two in a campaign? For starters, Taylor is very durable, having missed just one start the past four seasons, and averaged 14.8 starts over the last six years.

And then there is the free agency cornerback class: Nnamdi Asomugha, who voided his contract with the Raiders, is going to cost a ton. Champ Bailey is 32 years old and at some point in the next three or four years will move inside to safety. Ronde Barber is 35 and everyone figures he's headed back to Tampa Bay. Antonio Cromartie is, well, Antonio Cromartie.

At 30 years old, set to turn 31 this spring, Taylor is a viable alternative who is a low-maintenance guy and one who knows how to win.

Two other corners on whom to keep an eye, according to one league pro scout: Carlos Rogers of Washington and Buffalo's Drayton Florence. Said the scout to The Sports Xchange: "(Florence) could be the surprise guy. He just turned 30, he's really pretty mature, and he's become a good player."

The veteran has only 14 interceptions in eight seasons, but has six years with double-digit passes defensed and plays good run support.

flozel

Thread Information