Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If we were to trade a veteran...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    I dont think they are all important, why not trade troy for 4 picks in the first two rnds? yea he is a playmaker, but when will he actually play even 15 games a year.
    There is no way we would get 4 picks in the first 2 rounds for Troy, even if they were spread out over 2 or 3 years. Teams just aren't going to give that up for him. We could possibly get a couple 2nd round picks for him. Quite honestly, Troy's abilities are featured because he's in a defense that allows him to free lance. He shines in the Steelers environment. Not that he couldn't be successful elsewhere, but either way teams aren't going to give us that much for him.

Troy's deal is pretty cap friendly if I remember right, but either way Lebeau loves him and so does Butler and Tomlin so he's not going anywhere.

Rookie Free Agent Mr. Goosemahn's Avatar

Future of the Franchise

So I'm reading a lot of things about trading our good players for younger players for the future and I want to voice my opinion on something that I think people aren't really focusing on, or taking into consideration, and it's this:

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a championship window of 2 years, max.

After that, we'll need a major defensive overhaul, which will take at the very least 3 years to complete itself.

This basically means that we should 1. keep all the talented players we have based solely on the promise of winning #7 and 2. not focus on rebuilding for the future right now, as these are the last of the "golden years," if you will, of a rebuilding process that has taken a decade to complete.

Just take a look at our history and how long it took to build a championship team:

The core of the defense was acquired close to the early 2000's. Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Brett Keisel, James Harrison, James Farrior, Ike Taylor, and Troy Polamalu, all these guys have been with the team for AT LEAST 8 years, believe it or not.

The offensive rebuilding began back in 04 with Roethlisberger. Every single starter, other than Ward, was acquired after this pick. Starks, Kemoeatu, Pouncey, Foster, Colon, Miller, Wallace, Mendenhall David Johnson, every single one came after 2004. It took us five years for the transition to be "complete" but quite frankly it isn't complete yet, we still need at least one offensive lineman.

Now I ask you, do you really want to trade our talented players and start the rebuilding process right now, forgoing these two last years we have, or would you rather keep them, give us a legitimate chance of getting #7, and rebuild later? I won't lie, the rebuilding process is inevitable, and it will be based around Lawrence Timmons, LaMarr Woodley, and Ziggy Hood.

Right now, our future defense looks like this:

DE - ??
    NT - ??
    DE - Ziggy Hood

OLB - LaMarr Woodley
    ILB - Lawrence Timmons
    ILB - ??
    OLB - Jason Worilds

CB - ??
    S - ??
    S - ??
    CB - ??

Looks extremely unpromising, but it'll improve in due time. But for right now, we need to focus on winning IMMEDIATELY, not in the future. This league is about giving yourself the best chance of winning, not taking apart a very talented team for the promise of a better tomorrow.

Polamalu, Woodley, Harrison, Timmons, Smith, Hampton, every single one of them will play out the rest, or at least the majority, of their careers as Steelers, and they should. There is no logical reason to diminish our championship winning possibilities for unknowns.

As for me, I'll take #7, feel happy for some of these guys riding off into the sunset with another ring, and will eaglery await and anticipate the rebuilding of our defense.

My Mood
    Fight
    Why did you make another thread about this?
    "Without ME, it's just AWESO"
    and
    "To all the virgins, thanks for nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Blazedby92 View Post
    Why did you make another thread about this?
    First thread I make on this topic alone, and it's because I'm seeing it pop up in many other threads. If you deem it unnecessary, please delete it, I'm not trying to cause any issues.

Just wanted to keep this in one place.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    DE - Keisel isn't going anywhere within 2 years
    NT - Hampton has about 2 good years left in him then yes the Steelers will need a replacement ready to go
    DE - Ziggy Hood

OLB - LaMarr Woodley
    ILB - Lawrence Timmons
    ILB - Steveson Sylvester
    OLB - Why do you think Harrison is leaving in 2 years, the guy may be over 30 but he spent the first several years of his career either injured, on IR, or being a backup. He's in his prime now.

CB - Ike Taylor will return
    S - Troy will still be here most likely
    S - Clark will probably be here
    CB -

The Secondary is the most obvious need as we've talked about at length this year and in years past. The Steelers will address this during the offseason so lets see what they do.

Sylvester looks to be the real deal, I look for him to get increased playing time in 2011 and when Potsie retires he'll be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
    We could get a first for Woodley, no questions about it. Just because LB's are a dime a dozen for us doesn't mean they're easy to come by for other teams.

But the most important thing not being addressed here, is why are we even considering trading Woodley? He, Timmons, and Hood are the only true building blocks we've got for the future, there's absolutely no way we'd willingly part with either of them.
    It was just a opinion on ppls thoughts, I want to see sylvester play. And yes he will be better than farrior. I dont really go by college highlights, but this kid is going to be special in the run and the pass.Why waste him on the bench? The defense the way it is right now has a ONE year window, thats it, after that its going to take another 2-4 years to rebuild the defense(prob with a new shceme,players etc.)

All I was saying about TP is that if the freakin patriots can get 4 picks the first two rnd for MOSS, why cant we atleast get 3 for the first 2 rnds?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Steelers would most likely put the franchise Tag on Woodley or Taylor; whichever one they can't get signed before they hit the market.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    DE - Keisel isn't going anywhere within 2 years
    NT - Hampton has about 2 good years left in him then yes the Steelers will need a replacement ready to go
    DE - Ziggy Hood

OLB - LaMarr Woodley
    ILB - Lawrence Timmons
    ILB - Steveson Sylvester
    OLB - Why do you think Harrison is leaving in 2 years, the guy may be over 30 but he spent the first several years of his career either injured, on IR, or being a backup. He's in his prime now.

CB - Ike Taylor will return
    S - Troy will still be here most likely
    S - Clark will probably be here
    CB -

The Secondary is the most obvious need as we've talked about at length this year and in years past. The Steelers will address this during the offseason so lets see what they do.

Sylvester looks to be the real deal, I look for him to get increased playing time in 2011 and when Potsie retires he'll be ready.
    I meant as building blocks for the future, guys who we consider long-term starters.

As for individual players, I know a couple of them might still be around, but I'm just assuming most will be gone. Keisel, Hampton, Harrison, Troy, and Clark all will be old (35, 36, 35, 32, and 34, respectively) by the time the 2013 season starts, and all would be prime candidates as cap casualties. All of them have pretty hefty contracts, especially Hampton, Harrison, and Troy, meaning that the second the front office feels their age has caught up to them, they'll get released/won't be resigned, ala Joey Porter and Alan Faneca.

We also have to take into consideration the fact that Hampton's deal runs out in two more years, Polamalu is a free agent next summer, and while I think we do resign Polamalu, I think this is Hampton's last deal as a Steeler.

I do agree that Harrison doesn't have nearly as much wear-and-tear as most 32 year olds do, but that doesn't necessarily mean his body will maintain itself in peak condition. I truly hope it does, but I'm just trying to be as real as possible.

I'm not drinking the Stevenson Sylvester kool aid yet. He's been pretty good as a special teamer, but he only played defense on 22 snaps vs. Cleveland in Week 17 and 3 snaps vs. Oakland in Week 11, which isn't much. I definitely have liked what I've seen from him, and he's got the right attitude, but there's a difference between having the disposition to play, and having the adequate talent to play. I agree with you that he'll have an increased role, especially if Keyaron Fox isn't retained.

Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 02-11-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    It was just a opinion on ppls thoughts, I want to see sylvester play. And yes he will be better than farrior. I dont really go by college highlights, but this kid is going to be special in the run and the pass.Why waste him on the bench? The defense the way it is right now has a ONE year window, thats it, after that its going to take another 2-4 years to rebuild the defense(prob with a new shceme,players etc.)

All I was saying about TP is that if the freakin patriots can get 4 picks the first two rnd for MOSS, why cant we atleast get 3 for the first 2 rnds?
    Let's ignore the other thread, it's the same discussion here. My bad for creating it.

Regarding Sylvester, that's an awfully high standard you've set for him. James Farrior was one of the best ILB's in the league for a while, not with the Jets, he was just an awkward fit there, but definitely with us.

I do hope he becomes a stud, but I've yet to see any indication of such a transformation. He'll definitely get more snaps next year though, which will be very useful to gauge his progress.

And I believe the Patriots got a third round pick for Moss. Their other first round pick comes from Oakland, from the Richard Seymour trade, while the other second round pick comes from Carolina, who traded it last year for a third round pick used to select WR Armanti Edwards.

--- Added 2/11/2011 at 06:06 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    The Steelers would most likely put the franchise Tag on Woodley or Taylor; whichever one they can't get signed before they hit the market.
    Woodley would be my choice, as I think Taylor will be cheaper to resign and less eager to test the free agent market. In any case, both are the highest priorities for us right now.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
    We could get a first for Woodley, no questions about it. J
    Actually you can't get anything for Woodley, he's a FA .You either sign him or he walks.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Thread Information