Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reason for poor secondary?

Bookmark and Share
    Rookie Free Agent

Reason for poor secondary?

As much as I love Dick Lebeau, I have to put the blame on him for the poor secondary. The secondary has been a weak spot for the steelers ever since LeBeau has been coordinator. His priorities have always been don't give up big plays and stop the run. The trouble is that the NFL is emerging as a pass oriented league. The top NFL teams are pass teams, Indy, Patriots, Packers, Chargers, Jets, Ravens etc. So why are we still trying to stop the run? Let's try to stop the pass. I really don't care if we give up an extra 30 yards a game on the ground if we can knock off 100 yards off the pass.

Teams know that they can't run against us. They don't even try anymore. They focus their attention on where they can pass. Gay and McFadden. You know what? It works.
    The Steelers can bring in Champ Bailey, Revis, and the Steelers will still have a mediorce secondary because the schemes are not there. The philosophy is not there. That is what has to change more than just the players. Perhaps with a new secondary coach the steelers can bring in someone a little more aggressive who can influence Lebeau to let the secondary cover their receivers rather than cover for the big play.
    Last edited by Three Four; 02-09-2011 at 08:14 PM.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Just..no. Stop.

Rookie Free Agent
    please tell me why the Steelers secondary has sucked for the past 10 years?

My Mood
    Addicted
    Not because of Dick LeBeau, I can tell you that.

It's not Lebeau's fault when we only have on CB that is starter material in the NFL. Swagger T and Troy P are the only solid players in the secondary. Gay is average at Nickel (a great blitzer), and McFadden seemed off this year. Clark seems scared of the big hits anymore (fines and penalties?) and that was all he was ever good for really....he's pretty bad in coverage.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

My Mood
    Sunshine
    There were 11 teams with better pass coverage than the Steelers ,one of them being Green Bay none of the other 10 were in the Super Bowl.

Which means there were 20 teams with worse secondaries, I have no complaints about where we stand.

I'll agree we need to upgrade the secondary but you have to look at the overall picture.
    Our biggest problem in the playoffs and SB were the fact that Troy was unable to play his normal game due to the injury to McFadden.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Rookie Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeEyes43 View Post
    It's not Lebeau's fault when we only have on CB that is starter material in the NFL. Swagger T and Troy P are the only solid players in the secondary. Gay is average at Nickel (a great blitzer), and McFadden seemed off this year. Clark seems scared of the big hits anymore (fines and penalties?) and that was all he was ever good for really....he's pretty bad in coverage.
    Clark is one of the best tacklers on the team. The secondary is taught run first, than pass. Perhaps they need to think pass first than run.

Quote Originally Posted by Three Four View Post
    Clark is one of the best tacklers on the team. The secondary is taught run first, than pass. Perhaps they need to think pass first than run.
    Clark should worry about coverage first...he's a FREE SAFETY. No one should get past him, traditionally that's the free safeties #1 priority. I know Clark plays a little differently since we have Troy, and I like Clark's style, but you can't really say that he is good in coverage anymore. He gets burnt a lot, but some Steeler fans forget that because twice a game he delivers a big hit or something.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

My Mood
    Love
    The blame game is not going to change anything. Steelers win and lose as a team.

Draft Pick
    3-4, I actually agree with some of your points but am confused how you say that teams know to attack Gay - McFadden but then you say that Bailey and Revis wouldn't help us because of the mentality. It seems a bit contradictory.

Both Clark and McFadden are great tacklers but bad in coverage. Taylor is the other way around. Our first 4 draft picks this year have to have 2 defensive backs if you ask me.

Thread Information