Thread: Team grants assistants head coaching interviews

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Team grants assistants head coaching interviews

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07003/750825-66.stm

Wednesday, January 03, 2007
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers granted permission to two NFL teams to talk to two of their assistants for head coaching jobs and then told them both they might want to speak with them as well.

The Arizona Cardinals will talk to offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm. The Atlanta Falcons will talk to Whisenhunt. Both teams fired their head coaches on Monday.

Whisenhunt and Grimm are considered candidates to replace Steelers coach Bill Cowher if he steps down as expected by early next week.

"There's nothing we can do about it until we have [a decision from Cowher]," Steelers president Art Rooney II said.

"I have let Whis and Russ know that if Bill does decide to hang it up, we'd like to talk to them, but that's about as far as we can take it at this point."
    I sure as hell hope Whiz and Russ have the sense to not commit to anything until Bill decides what he wants to do. I know this could be a chance for them to gain head coaching gigs, but damn I just hope they hold off till we hear the news from BC.

My Mood
    Addicted
    you and me both bro. They know whats on the line, they'll play it cool and at least see what the offers are. Its going to be a busy couple of weeks coming up.....

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

House of Steel
    Doesn't this make you nervous as hell??? COME ON MAN!!! I hope them two wait it out til BC's decision. I am getting so sick of this and I want this over with big time. It is making me go nuts here.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Well we could know as early as Friday, and Whiz won't make a decision until he has time to think about it after interviewing for both the falcon and cards job, plus those teams will be interviewing other candidates as well because our coaches, so as long as BC doesnt take too long we should be able to know where we stand before any of them without interviewing for our job.

My Mood
    Chatty
    Why would the 2 of them want to leave the Steeler organization anyway? Those 2 teams don't have the talent we have here in Pittsburgh. Even if Bill does or doesn't decide to stay I don't believe either will leave our "family" organization!! We are family here, no other team has what we have!!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaSteelGirl View Post
    Why would the 2 of them want to leave the Steeler organization anyway? Those 2 teams don't have the talent we have here in Pittsburgh. Even if Bill does or doesn't decide to stay I don't believe either will leave our "family" organization!! We are family here, no other team has what we have!!
    1) it would be a chance for them to have their own gig and not be 2nd to anyone

2) bottom line it is about the money

In this country and any other country, for that matter, the more money you achieve, other people look upon you as a success & the more of a success story you have.
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    There's no need to panic just yet, NFL teams will interview MANY candidates before making a decision so it's not like Grimm or Whiz will be gone tomorrow. We still need to act quickly though and secure our interviews that we want as soon as possible.

I agree with you all... I really hope they wait and see what BC plans to do first. It's good though to hear that the FO wants to speak with them as well... they've already done so much this year that has us all , so why not hire someone from within!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Times like this make you feel so fortunate to have good owners like the Rooneys, who know what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Times like this make you feel so fortunate to have good owners like the Rooneys, who know what they're doing.
    This is actually the thing that is scaring me because they have done some things out of the ordinary lately

Thread Information