Thread: Packer fans - you don't "deserve or appreciate" it more

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Packer fans - you don't "deserve or appreciate" it more

I've been hearing for the last week and half on virtually every media outlet how the so called "Packer Nation" needs this Lombardi more than the Steeler Nation does. That they "deserve" it because it's been so long since they won a Super Bowl. That it means more to them because they are from Green Bay. That they are more hard core, and more devoted than we are. You name it, they will rationalize it. It's really getting old I must say...

Before I go on let me be clear, I personally don't like or dislike the Packers any more or less than anyone else. I'm a Steeler fan obviously, but I don't have any hatred for them like we do for our usual rivals per say. They are just another NFL team to me with a storied history. That's it...

News flash to all the Packer fans and anybody else out there who thinks with this twisted, alcohol induced, logic. Every NFL teams needs Lombardi's in their front office. Every NFL teams strives for that goal ever year. Every NFL teams fans want it every year. There is none of this ridiculous "we deserve it more" or "we appreciate it more" attitude. If you are fortunate enough to see your team win it on any given year, then you relish that moment as much as any other team. Nobody wins it every year, and when you do it's because you earn it. Quite frankly, if you ask me, it's sickening and disrespectful to insinuate that you are better than everyone else. That's exactly what these fans are doing, and of course the media just eats it up. The Steelers have 6 Championships for a reason, they earned them. They did what needed to be done 6 times to get the win. They deserved those trophies and rings as much as any other Super Bowl champion. Same goes for this year, they earned the right to be here and if all goes well they'll have earned the right to raise a 7th Trophy on Sunday night.

NFL Network showed a replay of the Packers Super Bowl win under Mike Holmgren and his post game speech talked about how this means more to them, blah blah blah. Every time I see that I just laugh to myself. Yes, I get the whole Vince Lombardi thing, the Packers history in the NFL and all that. It's all well and good, and the Packers are a very storied franchise, just as important to the NFL as anyone else. The fact that they have 3 championships is no more important than the Cowboys or 49ers who have 4, or the Giants who have 3, or the Patriots or anyone else. You got your super bowl trophies, that's great, you deserved them when you won, move on. The fact that the Packer fans whine that they are better or deserve anything more because they are from Green Bay is just flat out moronic.

You don't see the Steeler fans out there saying "we deserve it" or "we want it more". That's the difference between us and other the Packer fans. Our teams' performance speaks for itself, there's a reason we have 6 like I said before. Having said that we don't spew worthless talk like we've been subjected too during the super bowl hype. We know it means a lot to any team, but for us in particular we appreciated every single one of them so far, and hopefully we'll be able to say the same this Sunday when the game is over. So yeah, all in all, let us not kid ourselves Packer Nation. You don't deserve or appreciate anything more just because you are from Green Bay.

BlitzburghRockCity - SteelerAddicts.com

Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 02-03-2011 at 12:41 PM.

#1 Cheesehead Hater
    No the Packers don't deserve it more, they're fans certainly don't. They talk about Ben and his problems, when the Packers are the team that had Mark Chmura, Najeh Davenport and Brett Favre

Duke of 531
    absolutely dead on BRC...it seems anytime a team starts appearing in multiple super bowls in a relatively short time span and plays a team who has never won one or hasn't even played in one in a long time, the fans of those teams start whining that they would appreciate it more than the team with recent titles...bull... i appreciate every title we have won and never thought we deserved a single one of them...lots of people forget the 26 years between super bowls 14 and 40...never once in those 26 years did i say we deserve a super bowl win....if the packers should happen to defeat us sunday (let's pray that doesn't happen) ...i will be disappointed but i will congratulate the duly crowned champs because they earned it on the field...NO ONE DESERVES ANYTHING...go steelers

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    Green Bay you don't deserve ****. Buffalo deserves the SB more than you and then there is Cleveland, Cincinatti and on and on. Get the hell in the back of the line like everyone else in this league. You gotta earn it. It ain't Public School in Amerika where everybody is a winner. There is only one winner in the Super Bowl. So, if you become the loser well, the name speaks for itself.

And their fans.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    [QUOTE?]Every NFL teams strives for that goal ever year.[/QUOTE]

I'll forgive you for forgetting about the Browns.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Real solid piece BRC! It's easy for all fans, especially our younger fans, to forget just how awful the Steelers' franchise was prior to the 1970's. If anyone wants to get into the 'deserve it' mode, it would be us. After all, the Packers have all those championships in the "Pre- Super Bowl" era they like to bring up so often.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    You guys made a real solid point, something I should have added in that piece. nearly 3 decades in between super 14 and super bowl 40. In the 80's we stunk up the joint, in the 90's we came close several times but couldn't close the deal. In the 2K era we now have 2 more and possibly a 3rd. The Steeler Nation doesn't like it when our team doesn't win but we certainly don't think we are owed anything!

My Mood
    Chatty
    So how is the LOYAL Steeler nation any less deserving or appreciative of our teams wininng another SB Lombardi???? Steeler nation travels EVERYWHERE!!! So what makes them more deserving????

They can SUCK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

All of this is just going to make #7 even sweeter. There is no doubt amongst Steeler Nation that this has been a very tough year. Now we are playing in the SB with our only offensive Pro Bowler on the sideline. Good teams win enough games to get to the playoffs, great teams win rings.

Thread Information